NEED HELP!! Best light choice ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Apologies if this has been posted; if so point me in the right direction ?
On my ‘12 I am looking to add two cube lights to the factory bumper on each side. Every place I have found selling kits gives you the option of which light (inside/outside) does what ie fog, wide, spot, white, amber etc.
My question is, does anyone have an opinion on what is the best layout in terms of which one is a fog or amber vs. white, spot etc. Also which light is best suited for what application ? I don’t know much about lighting and want to have the most efficient lighting set up.
I am looking for great lighting in fog/snow conditions as well as boosting head lights on dark interstates that doubles as good off road lighting.
Apologies if this seems silly, but my research isn’t producing the best results before I spend the money.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
On my ‘12 I am looking to add two cube lights to the factory bumper on each side. Every place I have found selling kits gives you the option of which light (inside/outside) does what ie fog, wide, spot, white, amber etc.
My question is, does anyone have an opinion on what is the best layout in terms of which one is a fog or amber vs. white, spot etc. Also which light is best suited for what application ? I don’t know much about lighting and want to have the most efficient lighting set up.
I am looking for great lighting in fog/snow conditions as well as boosting head lights on dark interstates that doubles as good off road lighting.
Apologies if this seems silly, but my research isn’t producing the best results before I spend the money.

Having lived in Denver for a number of years, the weather can definitely get interesting in the mountains and surrounding areas.

For snow, fog, rain, and dust, amber light is going to penetrate through while white light will often reflect back. White light is ideal when the weather is more clear.

There's a lot of lights currently on the market today and the majority are considered off road use only because of how bright they are. Lights that are approved for on road use with traffic carry an 'SAE' designation. SAE lights are not going to be incredibly bright as they are designed to augment your headlights without blinding traffic. With that said, when the weather gets bad in Colorado you're going to want something more than an SAE light to actually see.

Because the bumper opening openings on the Gen1 are limited to two cube lights per opening, we'd recommend one pair of driving/combo beam (half spot half flood) in amber and one pair of the driving/combo beam in white light. That would give you a good mix of bright light for both good and bad weather. We really like Baja Designs lights as they make a great light backed by a lifetime warranty. They offer the Squadron series of lights and offer the Squadron Sport model (produces 3150 lumens each) and the Squadron Pro model (produces 4900 lumens).

We'd be happy to discuss over the phone, email, etc to fine tune what would be best for your needs.

PH ---->>>> 888-466-8991

Web ---->>>> OFFROADALLIANCE.COM

Dr Racecraft

I’ma need about 3.50
Supporting Member
Reaction score
[mention]OffroadAlliance.com [/mention] is outstanding!!

I like the flush mount 3 light they have. BD SAE/BD pro combo white/Amber S1 on the outside, premise harnesses, couldn’t be happier.
391bd5aee420035ec9b06e6654f70c21.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

These are popular kits that we sell. We're one of the largest Baja Designs dealers around.

So here is that kit you mentioned: http://www.4x4truckleds.com/baja-designs-ford-raptor-2010-2014-fog-pocket-mount-kit/

And you can do this two ways for the best results

If you want to keep STREET LEGAL in mind, then do this
Squadron SAE, Wide Cornering
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo

This gives you the SAEs for regular road use which are legal to use. Then the 2nd pair are the Driving/Combos in Pro. That'll be good for lighting up everything on the road (you would not run those with other vehicles around)

OR, another popular choice:

Squadron Sport, Wide Cornering
Squadron Pro, Driving/Combo

The Sport WC would be used for normal use. Not "street legal" but aimed at the ground you'll be FINE with these. The Sports were THE go to fog kit sold for most trucks, until the SAE came and now they have a street legal version. And then the Driving/Combo as I said earlier, to light things up.

You COULD step that up to Squadron Pro WC but you need to aim the lights at the ground more, so you avoid blinding anybody else. I run Squadron Pro WC on my own truck as my daily-use fogs and they are aimed at the ground. I don't blind anybody.

If you want to use them in the snow, make the 2nd pair amber.

So either Squadron SAE and Squadron SAE Amber
or
Squadorn Sport WC and Squadron Sport WC Amber
or
Squadron Pro WC and Squadron Pro WC Amber

My 2nd pair of lights on my truck is a set of Squadron Pro WC Amber (my 3rd pair, as I have a Gen2, is a set of Squadron Pro Driving/Combo)

447550-03_l__94200.1586708360.jpg