Need advice: New Front Coil Springs + TSW Shock Rebuilds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach Bowling

Reaction score
My driver's front coil spring snapped after going over a small slump in the road (pic attached). Since I have to get the shock and spring replaced anyway, I am debating if I just replace the single coil with a new stock spring, or spend the money to upgrade to Eibachs.

Does anyone have any recommendations / experience they can share about Eibachs on the front of a Gen2? Is it worth it? Do I need any other hardware or are they a 1 for 1 swap of the stock coils?

Also going to have my shocks rebuilt by TSW while the truck is down. Any recommendations or experiences that would be helpful on that front? Debating on if I have them tune the valves for a more comfortable on-road ride.

OP
OP
Zach Bowling

Zach Bowling

Reaction score
For reference, this was the failure mode of my front coil...

Attachments

• IMG_6641.jpeg
    IMG_6641.jpeg
    283.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6645.jpeg
    IMG_6645.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 59

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Surprising it broke like that, def a fluke never hear nor seen this happening at all, especially strange since it wasn’t being pushed off-road when it happened. Bad spring I suppose

I don’t know much about the suspension in these trucks other than w/ some miles on it if you’re already gonna be down for a minute & have access to the undercarriage better to do some advanced preventative/future maintenance at same time.

I plan on either doing rebuilt shocks or fox factory 3.0s, Geisers/deaver HDs depending what the budget allows, can always sell your OEM fox take offs….

NickW

Reaction score
My driver's front coil spring snapped after going over a small slump in the road (pic attached). Since I have to get the shock and spring replaced anyway, I am debating if I just replace the single coil with a new stock spring, or spend the money to upgrade to Eibachs.

Does anyone have any recommendations / experience they can share about Eibachs on the front of a Gen2? Is it worth it? Do I need any other hardware or are they a 1 for 1 swap of the stock coils?

Also going to have my shocks rebuilt by TSW while the truck is down. Any recommendations or experiences that would be helpful on that front? Debating on if I have them tune the valves for a more comfortable on-road ride.

That’s a weird failure for a spring. I have Eibachs on the front of my truck and I don’t notice any issues like poor ride quality. It definitely sits higher in the front with the Eibachs. Pretty level, but I think it’s yet another reason to upgrade to Deavers in the rear to avoid the front sitting higher than the rear. Eibachs are not expensive, but are you able to install them yourself or will you have to pay labor?

I did a lot of reading recently about shock rebuilds since I’m in need of the same. Ultimately I decided to buy new factory Fox replacements through Rock Auto. It was a few hundred dollars more, but I like that the truck doesn’t have to be down for any length of time and I can just sell my old shocks to recoup some of the money.

When I was reading about all of the different companies that do shock rebuilds, TSW was the one that I was going to use, they seemed like the best option from what I read. The valve tune isn’t expensive, but it’s personal preference. Might be a good idea to give TSW a call and they would probably be able to recommend options based on your personal situation.

Good luck

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow!!! I can’t believe that…. Just had mine rebuilt by them. Would like to hear a little more detail about why you cracked those open?
I had concerns about the quality of the service, I send the shocks to Brian at Hammer and that is what he found and sent those pictures to me. I didn't feel very comfortable with with those guys at tsw almost from the beginning and the proof was in the pudding. Very disappointing

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had concerns about the quality of the service, I send the shocks to Brian at Hammer and that is what he found and sent those pictures to me. I didn't feel very comfortable with with those guys at tsw almost from the beginning and the proof was in the pudding. Very disappointing
I know nothing about Brian, but warning flags fly in my mind when someone throws shade on a competitor.

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know nothing about Brian, but warning flags fly in my mind when someone throws shade on a competitor.
I made a big mistake, I was talking out of school and never should have named anybody, I was the only person who threw any shade and I want to apologize to anyone that was affected by this.
Truly sorry