GEN 2 My truck is gutless !!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta say fellas, I too am disappointed in the acceleration. I’m pretty sure it’s dead even with a standard F150 3.5 Ecoboost.

My story goes like this... I drove normal to conservative for the first 1000 miles. Then began switching to sport and doing some half throttle accelerations from stop lights. Felt pretty good... a little turbo lag, then what felt like strong torque as I was getting up to 60 or so.

Then came the embarrassment... driving home from a night out with my wife, we got on the freeway and had to go through a toll as we entered. I said, hold on babe, we’re gonna see what this thing can do. I switched to Sport mode, and stomped the gas from a stand still. The initial launch out of the booth felt good... but even before we reached the shift to second gear, it was like watching and waiting on the tach to reach the shift point. Once into second the torque was gone and it was just making engine and road noise till about 75.

My wife looks over and says... I think my X3 can take you!

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta say fellas, I too am disappointed in the acceleration. I’m pretty sure it’s dead even with a standard F150 3.5 Ecoboost.

My story goes like this... I drove normal to conservative for the first 1000 miles. Then began switching to sport and doing some half throttle accelerations from stop lights. Felt pretty good... a little turbo lag, then what felt like strong torque as I was getting up to 60 or so.

Then came the embarrassment... driving home from a night out with my wife, we got on the freeway and had to go through a toll as we entered. I said, hold on babe, we’re gonna see what this thing can do. I switched to Sport mode, and stomped the gas from a stand still. The initial launch out of the booth felt good... but even before we reached the shift to second gear, it was like watching and waiting on the tach to reach the shift point. Once into second the torque was gone and it was just making engine and road noise till about 75.

My wife looks over and says... I think my X3 can take you!

I will say it is about dead even in speed with my old 2015 King Ranch eco boost. Of course the Raptor is a good bit heavier than the King Ranch and a different purpose built vehicle.

It actually is a testament to the 3.5 EB engine in general. It just out performs any non moded V8 in any truck, even the 6.2 Chevy.

I think some people talk about how fast the Raptor is must not have driven the standard EB F150, because those trucks are also damn impressive.

Jspeers89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has an x3 m40i and she would definitely take me .suv has 355/369 tq and I've seen stock dynos of them dynoing close to their advertised numbers to the wheels .suv is quick 0-60 - 4.4 and quarter in 12.9-13.0 . So yup we don't race each other unless I'm in the dirt. Something to think about.

IMG_20190424_192240_01.jpg

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EXACTLY!!! Should have bought a V8. Sorry to troll you bro...just sayin....

Lol, to anyone who thinks any stock truck V8 will out preform the HO EB 3.5. The V8 for sure will sound better, but it will not out preform it. And for people who say add a super charger to it, then compare a SC V8 to a tuned HO 3.5.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Btw, are you guys running 2H or 4A?

The rear tires slip a lot even in normal mode, let alone sport. If you aren't paying attention or have the windows down you won't notice, but you'll lose a good second easy in 2H from tire spin.

Dirtypope

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife has an x3 m40i and she would definitely take me .suv has 355/369 tq and I've seen stock dynos of them dynoing close to their advertised numbers to the wheels .suv is quick 0-60 - 4.4 and quarter in 12.9-13.0 . So yup we don't race each other unless I'm in the dirt. Something to think about.

View attachment 122427
I’m sure her ***** is quick too

Why u even compare X3 to Raptor??

BushwiickBill

Reaction score
Taking into account that the original thread poster along with others are not experiencing mechanical issues...

To me it all comes down to how you use or plan to use your Raptor. If you bought it to just roll on the street, I mean to each their own but that's not just what this truck was designed for. If you want to do 100 mph+ off-road, A/C on full blast with a huge shit eating grin on your face, then you purchased the right truck. It drives great on the street but I go faster off-road than I do on the freeway I used to get to my off-road destination...that's insane!

If you use it for what it was designed for and you're still disappointed I think you have every right to be disappointed and should sell your Raptor. If you're disappointed in its stoplight to stoplight drag acceleration or highway on-ramp merging speed it's not the truck. It's the fact that you purchased the wrong vehicle to suit your driving application needs/desires so don't blame the truck. If you've never owned a truck before then give it time, use it on-road and off-road and I'm confident your expectations won't be underwhelmed.

BIG TIME BALLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking into account that the original thread poster along with others are not experiencing mechanical issues...

To me it all comes down to how you use or plan to use your Raptor. If you bought it to just roll on the street, I mean to each their own but that's not just what this truck was designed for. If you want to do 100 mph+ off-road, A/C on full blast with a huge shit eating grin on your face, then you purchased the right truck. It drives great on the street but I go faster off-road than I do on the freeway I used to get to my off-road destination...that's insane!

If you use it for what it was designed for and you're still disappointed I think you have every right to be disappointed and should sell your Raptor. If you're disappointed in its stoplight to stoplight drag acceleration or highway on-ramp merging speed it's not the truck. It's the fact that you purchased the wrong vehicle to suit your driving application needs/desires so don't blame the truck. If you've never owned a truck before then give it time, use it on-road and off-road and I'm confident your expectations won't be underwhelmed.

You nailed it... it’s my first truck and I fooled myself into thinking it could satisfy my performance needs. I thought the much touted 5.2s 0-60 would be similar to mild performance cars that run in the mid 4s range... but I was wrong. It’s just not “fast” in any way (on the street, where I spend 99.9% of my time). It’s the same as a regular full size truck.

I look at it and think it’s bad ass, but the daily driving is killing me. From the uneventful startup sound, to me just light footing it everywhere cuz the acceleration feel isn’t worth the gas it costs... to the lack of refinement in the drivetrain, the tech, and the interior quality.

It’s going to have to move on to a more appreciative owner this fall.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You nailed it... it’s my first truck and I fooled myself into thinking it could satisfy my performance needs. I thought the much touted 5.2s 0-60 would be similar to mild performance cars that run in the mid 4s range... but I was wrong. It’s just not “fast” in any way (on the street, where I spend 99.9% of my time). It’s the same as a regular full size truck.

I look at it and think it’s bad ass, but the daily driving is killing me. From the uneventful startup sound, to me just light footing it everywhere cuz the acceleration feel isn’t worth the gas it costs... to the lack of refinement in the drivetrain, the tech, and the interior quality.

It’s going to have to move on to a more appreciative owner this fall.
A sports car the Raptor is not. I had a 2014 M6 with the TTV8 and that car was fast, like scare the crap out of me fast. My Raptor is not even in the same ball park as that car (nor should it be).