GEN 2 My prediction on the 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can tell you I dont like the v6 its overworked and under powered.

LOL......just LOL......the 3.5 eco boost makes the V8 in every current ford vehicle except the Shelby gt350 and gt 500 look underpowered.

the added weight and cost of the 2 v8's in question make them not a good candidate for an off road truck.

the supercharged V8 from the gt 500 would add $10k to the cost of an already $75k truck....no way the ford bean counters let that happen.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uh no. not even close.

The Raptor is still just an F150, with off roady bits. It is not a "drivers" car at all.

Now, that takes nothing away from the raptor or any other F150. plenty of people, me included consider a big truck to be the ultimate highway cruiser, but never a "drivers" car. Would never go canyon carving in a truck.

the raptor is still fun, but it in no way replaced the experience of driving my Audi or Mustang. But in the same regard, i love the fact that i no longer have to worry about speed bumps, or pot holes messing up my wheel or chin slitter.

+1. I love the Raptor, but not because it is involving as a driving experience on road. On the other hand, blasting across the desert or even down a dirt road is fun too. Perhaps the Raptor could be described as a driver’s car off road, but certainly not on the pavement.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ridiculous and ignorant comment. My 2 teenage sons and all of thier friends are V8 fans. Its all about preference everyone prefers different things. .

What do the "teens" and the aforementioned "old guys" have in common. the are both the ones who are ignorant and uneducated as to what modern technology has to offer. Both are victim to what was cool and powerful 10-40 years ago. Not in the now.

All you have to know is in the Ford GT. A hallow car, built from the ground up, with no limitations and the goal to be the best sports car Ford could possibly produce. And it was a twin turbo v6. that is the mic drop that says the era of "displacement" is dead.

Last edited:

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
This guy has no clue what he is talking about. The early 2010 Gen 1 was a 5.4, the late 2010 were 6.2 (owned one). I got a screaming deal, I was at a CO dealership that took it in on a trade - 2010 with 2K 6.2 - born on date Sept 2010. Pitched a low ball of 36K TTL - they went for it. Right Place Right Time pure luck. Sold it Nov 2017 for 32k w 160k on it. I got Gen 2 and didn't really need both trucks.

So having owned both, the 6.2 was a slug compared to the Gen2. Don't get me wrong the Gen1 was bad ass but the 3.5HO can easily be tuned to 550HP.

One question. Why would you sell a Raptor to buy a Volkswagen?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
the supercharged V8 from the gt 500 would add $10k to the cost of an already $75k truck....no way the ford bean counters let that happen.

are you saying that the engine will cost another 10k --over-- the cost of the HO 3.5, an already pricey power plant? I’d think maybe 5-7.5k over, although you’d be looking at another transmission, as well as suspension so I can see that as possible I suppose.

IF that were / is Ford’s plan, they would likely be rolling out the engine for more platforms and that doesn’t seem like it’s on the horizon, even in N/A form. What else will they use the 5.2 in? port down to the Mustang GT or possibly another upscale model Mustang?

Super Duty? it seems they have a different plan for the SD, going with the 7.3 motor. Unless they’re maybe planning to abandon the 5.0 for the 5.2.

RC Blk Bird

Reaction score
Not sure if it counts, but about 50 years ago I built the Visible V8 model by Revell. As I knew absolutely nothing about cars or engines, I glued the crankshaft. Need I say more? Lol
You evidently follow directions well

alwaysworkin

Reaction score
+1. I love the Raptor, but not because it is involving as a driving experience on road. On the other hand, blasting across the desert or even down a dirt road is fun too. Perhaps the Raptor could be described as a driver’s car off road, but certainly not on the pavement.

I guess I could have phrased this differently. I certainly understand that Raptor is not a replacement for fun cars, however, being in a position where I only desire on vehicle for the time being it seems to be a pretty good compromise. In other words, it's definitely more involving on the road than a regular F-150, at least my test drives have brought me close to that conclusion. Between the suspension setup, gearing, steering feel, and seats, it's much more unique of a driving experience than a non-Raptor F-150. Again, these are just my thoughts after a few tests drives in both. Not to say a regular F-150 is mundane, but there's certainly something special about the Raptor even when used for on road travel.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose only one vehicle between my M3 and my Raptor, I’m pretty sure I would choose the Raptor. I can’t believe I just said that, but I think it’s true.

alwaysworkin

Reaction score
That says a lot right there. I no doubt will get back to having a separate fun car, probably a 911 of some flavor this time around, but for the time being simply don't have the desire to deal with the logistics of two cars. Things like a new family and a busy workload make the idea of dealing two cars seem like work. I'm looking to the Raptor as a way of at least having a special driving experience while still providing the utility I need.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand your stance on the bailout issue, but most of what you wrote is irrelevant to the development of the TRX. They're doing the same thing that Ford did with the Gen II Raptor which is to offer a new truck, then reveal the TRX based on that truck two years later. My first year Gen V Rebel has been great with zero problems so far.

As far as Ram having issues with their products, at least in my experience they are no better nor worse than the Fords and GM's I've had.

According to the Consumer Reports' Annual Auto Reliability Survey for 2016, Ram is dead last, 29th out of 29 brands. In fact, five of the last seven spots on the list are Fiat Chrysler Automobiles brands: Jeep (23), Dodge (26), Chrysler (27), Fiat (28) and Ram (29). The annual survey ranks all the major vehicle brands in the U.S. in terms of dependability.......Just sayin