GEN 2 My prediction on the 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the Consumer Reports' Annual Auto Reliability Survey for 2016, Ram is dead last, 29th out of 29 brands. In fact, five of the last seven spots on the list are Fiat Chrysler Automobiles brands: Jeep (23), Dodge (26), Chrysler (27), Fiat (28) and Ram (29). The annual survey ranks all the major vehicle brands in the U.S. in terms of dependability.......Just sayin

I have a 2013 JKU Wrangler and was super worried about reliability when I bought it new, now with 90K miles on it, I have had a few issues but nothing more then I see being talked about on here. Heated Seats stopped working around 40K, Front Diff Leak at 5K, and Emissions Leak at 70K (most likely for putting it in the dirt).

IMO most of the big (3) are all having about the same amount of issues. Also, Consumer Reports hates Jeep for some reason. They rip on them hard, while most Jeep owners love their rides. I bet next to Porsche they are some of the most loyal.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2013 JKU Wrangler and was super worried about reliability when I bought it new, now with 90K miles on it, I have had a few issues but nothing more then I see being talked about on here. Heated Seats stopped working around 40K, Front Diff Leak at 5K, and Emissions Leak at 70K (most likely for putting it in the dirt).

IMO most of the big (3) are all having about the same amount of issues. Also, Consumer Reports hates Jeep for some reason. They rip on them hard, while most Jeep owners love their rides. I bet next to Porsche they are some of the most loyal.

Just because owners love jeeps, does NOT make them good.

I know many VW owners LOVE their VW, despite them having many issues (older VW's im talking about here, electrical gremlin days)

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I know many VW owners LOVE their VW, despite them having many issues (older VW's im talking about here, electrical gremlin days)

Same with modern BMWs. Why people pay so much for a BMW when it’s a known money pit after 3 years of ownership is beyond me.

As for the Ram, it’s air suspension was a cool selling feature, especially for off-roading, but also the bane of its existence due to problems in cold climate. Other than that, I’m a fan of the hemi engine.

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'll be the first to admit there are a lot of things that are not great about a Jeep, but there are a lot of other things about them the offset it. CR is written from a non-car enthusiasts point of view, hence why they love boring Toyotas so much.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Same with modern BMWs. Why people pay so much for a BMW when it’s a known money pit after 3 years of ownership is beyond me.

BMWs are nice cars. They look nice, handle nice and are generally pretty fast. The people who are buying them new, do not care about reliability since they will buy a new one again when the warranty expires. As long as it has a warranty, who cares how unreliable it is after the warranty is up- it's not your problem at that point. Aside from having to defend such a huge purchase, it's the main reason the Gen 2 crowd poo-poos the ongoing 3.5L engine issues, a large chunk of them don't plan to own it out of warranty anyways. If it fails- eh, whatever, Ford will pay for it. They will be in a 2022 model by the time the powertrain warranty runs out on their 2017.

As for the Ram, it’s air suspension was a cool selling feature, especially for off-roading, but also the bane of its existence due to problems in cold climate.

You'd think that Ford, GM and Fiat weren't based in Michigan based upon the issues their vehicles have with winter conditions. Basic shit like check valves in washer fluid lines freezing up, door locks freezing up- easy stuff that should have been figured out 75+ years ago.

I’m a fan of the hemi engine.

What exactly do you like about the "Hemi" engine? Last I read they are pretty reliable, other than the huge glass jaw they have dropping valves and valve seats like crazy, which typically means a new engine or the junkyard.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Aside from having to defend such a huge purchase, it's the main reason the Gen 2 crowd poo-poos the ongoing 3.5L engine issues, a large chunk of them don't plan to own it out of warranty anyways. If it fails- eh, whatever, Ford will pay for it. They will be in a 2022 model by the time the powertrain warranty runs out on their 2017.

You'd think that Ford, GM and Fiat weren't based in Michigan based upon the issues their vehicles have with winter conditions. Basic shit like check valves in washer fluid lines freezing up, door locks freezing up- easy stuff that should have been figured out 75+ years ago.

What exactly do you like about the "Hemi" engine? Last I read they are pretty reliable, other than the huge glass jaw they have dropping valves and valve seats like crazy, which typically means a new engine or the junkyard.

Whoa... you PMSing or something? First, I don’t think most Ford buyers plan to dump their purchase after the 3-5 year warranty expires. Repairs are usually more reasonably priced compared to European cars. People do trade up, but not always because it’s a money pit. You can’t say the same about European cars; I’ve owned a Volvo and a BMW and my other car is a Mercedes. I like all the extras that come with these cars, but I’m not going to pretend that it’s on the same level as a Ford when it comes to cost of ownership.

To put it in perspective, new Ford Raptor crate engine? Around $7,700. A new M3 short block? Probably over $30,000. If some major engine issue arise, I’d like dump the BMW but not the Ford.

As for hemi, the problem you described (valve jobs) are relatively reasonable to fix price wise.

I only learn about the air suspension issue because I follow the Rebel forum. When it goes, it seems like a lot of owners just rip it out and install a traditional set up instead of fixing it or replacing it.

JPete

Reaction score
If you are Ford guy... a Ford gives you problems it’s not near as bad as if you tried a Chevy and had same problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread has lols and straight crap. Internet version of reality TV right here. Can’t look away even though I want to set it on fire.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Whoa... you PMSing or something? First, I don’t think most Ford buyers plan to dump their purchase after the 3-5 year warranty expires. Repairs are usually more reasonably priced compared to European cars. People do trade up, but not always because it’s a money pit. You can’t say the same about European cars; I’ve owned a Volvo and a BMW and my other car is a Mercedes. I like all the extras that come with these cars, but I’m not going to pretend that it’s on the same level as a Ford when it comes to cost of ownership.

To put it in perspective, new Ford Raptor crate engine? Around $7,700. A new M3 short block? Probably over $30,000. If some major engine issue arise, I’d like dump the BMW but not the Ford.

As for hemi, the problem you described (valve jobs) are relatively reasonable to fix price wise.

I only learn about the air suspension issue because I follow the Rebel forum. When it goes, it seems like a lot of owners just rip it out and install a traditional set up instead of fixing it or replacing it.

LOL if those crate engine prices are accurate? Just hammers home German brand (esp bmw) tax. So a FI BMW engine that’s down 1/2 a liter in displacement makes CLOSE to the same HP & a SHIT load less torque than a Raptor crate engine costs over 4x as much? Makes a lot of sense.

Well, I do suppose when you consider that once you drop that BMW blown 6 into that ‘14-‘18 M3 chassis it was meant for you’ll have on your hands a pretty German car that can just barely match the performance of a Z06 vette 15+ years older & 3 generations removed from the current offering, well then, you got yourself a “cracking sports car” as wheeler dealers would say! Bahahhahahahhahahhahah

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter