GEN 2 My prediction on the 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve driven plenty of vettes (my dad likes them). They’re fast, no doubt. But I wouldn’t trade my M3 for a vette—ever. Totally different cars. The interior, fit and finish simply is leagues apart. The M3 has a useable back seat and four doors. My 3.0 six is putting out well over 500 hp and 550 ft-lbs with nothing more than a tune. I know lots of guys that go a bit further and are making 600-700 hp reliably. It spins the wheels at the drop of a hat...any hat. Plenty fast and so much nicer on every level.

I LOVE the high-revving BMW straight six. And although the M-tax is heavy, the eco-boost really does not compare. Liquid intercooler, incredibly robust cooling system, and virtually no turbo lag. Highly tunable to make crazy power. They run them hard all day every day at Thermal in 100+ degree heat and they never bat an eye. That engine is made to track, and it will not heat soak. When I pop the hood after a run, the IC is frosty to the touch, and the turbos are happily cooling themselves down. The F80 has proven to be a very reliable and robust platform.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL if those crate engine prices are accurate? Just hammers home German brand (esp bmw) tax. So a FI BMW engine that’s down 1/2 a liter in displacement makes CLOSE to the same HP & a SHIT load less torque than a Raptor crate engine costs over 4x as much? Makes a lot of sense.

Well, I do suppose when you consider that once you drop that BMW blown 6 into that ‘14-‘18 M3 chassis it was meant for you’ll have on your hands a pretty German car that can just barely match the performance of a Z06 vette 15+ years older & 3 generations removed from the current offering, well then, you got yourself a “cracking sports car” as wheeler dealers would say! Bahahhahahahhahahhahah

I’ve driven plenty of vettes (my dad likes them). They’re fast, no doubt. But I wouldn’t trade my M3 for a vette—ever. Totally different cars. The interior, fit and finish simply is leagues apart. The M3 has a useable back seat and four doors. My 3.0 six is putting out well over 500 hp and 550 ft-lbs with nothing more than a tune. I know lots of guys that go a bit further and are making 600-700 hp reliably. It spins the wheels at the drop of a hat...any hat. Plenty fast and so much nicer on every level.

I LOVE the high-revving BMW straight six. And although the M-tax is heavy, the eco-boost really does not compare. Liquid intercooler, incredibly robust cooling system, and virtually no turbo lag. Highly tunable to make crazy power. They run them hard all day every day at Thermal in 100+ degree heat and they never bat an eye. That engine is made to track, and it will not heat soak. When I pop the hood after a run, the IC is frosty to the touch, and the turbos are happily cooling themselves down. The F80 has proven to be a very reliable and robust platform.

These 2 posts are proof there is no need to make a Corvette as "nice" as a BMW, and there's no need to make a new BMW as "fast" as a used Corvette. Both will sell just fine to their respective crowds.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I hear what you're saying - different strokes for different folks & all that, I test drove a lightly used BMW M2 w/ stick shift recently (among other things) thinking I may trade/sell my current toy car C5Z (its a H/C/I + catless LT headers car w/ suspension & other chassis mods) that is essentially a ******** track rat beast that I can drive on street no issue. I actually was looking around b/c my son is 4.5 & really digs the vette (& the Raptor of course) & my wife doesn't want him in it - you can put a car seat in the front, but she's just against it....although I think it has more to do w/ the heavy loping cam, shivering chassis, & lovely gas smell hahahhaa

I don't care about interiors, other than having the basis amenenties & being comfortable....price not withstanding, real "car guys" don't buy Lambos cuz they have a nice interior (they buy bentleys for that) for same reason most don't buy a Vette b/c of looks alone - at the end of the day peformance cars cred starts & ends w/ the numbers it can (or can't) put up on a road course IMO. A good example is the Lexus LFA - nice exhaust sound, but 1/2 a mil for that freaking thing when it couldn't compete w/ a top end vette or M car at the time? **** here! And they didn't sell great either. Why buy that when a GTR will wipe the track w/ it for 1/5 the price?

For sure not everyone thinks that way, & I'm sure that BMW turbo six is a fine piece (now that they fixed their MASSIVE carbon issue from the prior version) - Toyota wouldn't have hitched their wagon to BMW on the new Supra otherwise, but the power #'s in comparison to Ford's HO 3.5 EB are what they are, not really debatable. The intercooler & "incredibly robust cooling system" in a BMW M3 didn't come w/ the crate engine I'm guessing, so if the previous poster's figures are correct (& I'm pretty sure I've seen that $7-8k price before on a HO 3.5) than the BMW F80 motor @ $30k is still massively overpriced & inflated.

When Nice interiors & fit/finish + reliability are bigger factors in my sports car criteria I'd personally look @ an Audi or MB or Lexus product over BMW & their fake leather & pigeon toed tire chewing cambers lol

Lexus RC-F or LC.....very nice

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear what you're saying - different strokes for different folks & all that, I test drove a lightly used BMW M2 w/ stick shift recently (among other things) thinking I may trade/sell my current toy car C5Z (its a H/C/I + catless LT headers car w/ suspension & other chassis mods) that is essentially a ******** track rat beast that I can drive on street no issue. I actually was looking around b/c my son is 4.5 & really digs the vette (& the Raptor of course) & my wife doesn't want him in it - you can put a car seat in the front, but she's just against it....although I think it has more to do w/ the heavy loping cam, shivering chassis, & lovely gas smell hahahhaa

I don't care about interiors, other than having the basis amenenties & being comfortable....price not withstanding, real "car guys" don't buy Lambos cuz they have a nice interior (they buy bentleys for that) for same reason most don't buy a Vette b/c of looks alone - at the end of the day peformance cars cred starts & ends w/ the numbers it can (or can't) put up on a road course IMO. A good example is the Lexus LFA - nice exhaust sound, but 1/2 a mil for that freaking thing when it couldn't compete w/ a top end vette or M car at the time? **** here! And they didn't sell great either. Why buy that when a GTR will wipe the track w/ it for 1/5 the price?

For sure not everyone thinks that way, & I'm sure that BMW turbo six is a fine piece (now that they fixed their MASSIVE carbon issue from the prior version) - Toyota wouldn't have hitched their wagon to BMW on the new Supra otherwise, but the power #'s in comparison to Ford's HO 3.5 EB are what they are, not really debatable. The intercooler & "incredibly robust cooling system" in a BMW M3 didn't come w/ the crate engine I'm guessing, so if the previous poster's figures are correct (& I'm pretty sure I've seen that $7-8k price before on a HO 3.5) than the BMW F80 motor @ $30k is still massively overpriced & inflated.

When Nice interiors & fit/finish + reliability are bigger factors in my sports car criteria I'd personally look @ an Audi or MB or Lexus product over BMW & their fake leather & pigeon toed tire chewing cambers lol

Lexus RC-F or LC.....very nice

Fair enough. I know the 3.5 Ecoboost (in significantly modified form) is in the GT. It’s a good engine. But the S55 is a different animal than the Raptor version of the 3.5 EB. It pulls so hard all the way to the redline. The power delivery is so sweet. A lot more goes into building it than the Raptor 3.5 EB. Does that justify the price difference entirely? Probably not. The mighty BMW M tax is without question, a big driver of it. But I LOVE my M3.

Turbogoat324

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have an E46 M and agree about BMW high revving I6. The f80 motor is amazing! Different level than the Ecoboost!

uxojerry

Reaction score
I have a gen1 and have driven a gen2. The gen2 is much more refined and handles much better than my gen1. If the gen3 has a v8 it would most likely be the new 7.3l that will be in the new f250/350s. I doubt ford will do that, as the 3.5l probably has better hp/tq #s than the new 7.3l. The 7.3l is made for towing.

Last edited:

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
I’ve personally been holding out for the gen 3 to see what it offers, if there’s still no v8 option I’ll just stick with my good ole trusty gen 1 even though I do catch my self drooling over modified gen 2s from time to time

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford V8s aren’t worth waiting for, & they don’t seem to give a shit about “keeping up w/ the Jones’s” when it comes to V8 performance, so again for the millionth time I question why the F anyone would wait or worry about what the next “great ” Ford V8 will be.

I bought a gen2 raptor specifically because it DOESNT have a Ford V8. GM > Chrysler > Toyota > ford

Sorry ‍♂️

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you say Ford don’t care about keeping up with v8s?? Lol just look at the 5.2 probably one if not the most powerful n/a v8 made in the USA. Even more powerful is the GT500 5.2 but of course with a blower. The Coyote 5.0 is an awesome engine too, competes right with GM and Mopar bigger displacements.

Ford V8s aren’t worth waiting for, & they don’t seem to give a shit about “keeping up w/ the Jones’s” when it comes to V8 performance, so again for the millionth time I question why the F anyone would wait or worry about what the next “great ” Ford V8 will be.

I bought a gen2 raptor specifically because it DOESNT have a Ford V8. GM > Chrysler > Toyota > ford

Sorry ‍♂️