My high mileage 2019 Gen 2 [advice needed]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parappa The Rapta

Reaction score
Ok a little back story on me, I'm not rich but I don't like to keep vehicles once the mileage gets around the 60k/70k range. Mainly I get paranoid about not having a very capable and reliable vehicle.

With that said I have a Gen 2 2019 with 75k on the odometer, unfortunately, when I bought the truck I was immediately promoted and got sent to the opposite side of my city, i.e. I drove 95 miles a day for a round trip, plus trips on the weekend added up quick. I know that's a lot of useless information but I thought I'd give you the type of miles I put on my truck. Now I had my eyes set on a Gen 3 but after reading about that **** show I doubt I'll ever put myself through that hell. Guys over in the Gen 3 forum were putting together gift baskets for the Ford reps... to thank them... for giving them information on their vehicle that's late for delivery... that they bought from a business.

Anyhoo, my question is general in nature and no doubt will be debated by many but how reliable is this truck? Could I keep this thing for another 40k without it falling apart and looking and running like ****? Ideally, I'd like to look for what sort of "tune-up" workover etc that the truck would need at 75k, knock it out, do some small tweaks and drive it until the new super-duty tremors come out which is likely 2 years away. I never really got to enjoy my Raptor, those are all commuting miles, so if I could get 40 thousand reliable miles out of this truck and use it to do some fun stuff [little Overlanding, camping, road trips etc] that would be cool. But if you guys who are more tenured think it's a dumb idea by all means let me know.

My worries
-Transmission, never beat on it and it's not special, seems like a generic transmission from a F-150 but maybe I'm wrong
-Engine, I have a rattle when it starts but I think it's a the wastegate, besides that the engine is used in other platforms so hopefully it's not super rare or hard to repair
-Suspension, live valve shocks scare me, I never beat on the truck or jumped it but I don't know a whole lot about their longevity

Everything else I can fix myself I would think. Any insight you guys can provide would be great, thanks in advance.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few thoughts for you, and I am sure others that are knowledgeable will likely chime in as well. My opinion is that these trucks are pretty solid and reliable (all cars have some issues). And on other posts, you have people asking about issues at over 200K miles...So that seems pretty telling.

On your specific items:

My worries
-Transmission, never beat on it and it's not special, seems like a generic transmission from a F-150 but maybe I'm wrong
We have a GM/Ford Co-developed 10R80 - 10 Speed Transmission that are also installed in some high performance sports cars and seem to be pretty durable and reliable. A TCM tune will make them shift better, but they seem very solid. At your mileage you may consider a fluid/filter change (pretty easy to do)…but beyond that you should be fine.
-Engine, I have a rattle when it starts but I think it's a the wastegate, besides that the engine is used in other platforms so hopefully it's not super rare or hard to repair
It sounds like you may have the known Cam Phaser rattle at start up, and Ford will warrant that. They pay 100% up to 69,999 miles and then it drops to I think maybe 80% for your mileage...But most of that repair is covered and will install upgraded phasers and your rattle should go away at start up. Also, the rattle is just annoying, but will not harm anything.
-Suspension, live valve shocks scare me, I never beat on the truck or jumped it but I don't know a whole lot about their longevity
The shocks on these things are made by FOX Racing and are very good. The "recommended" service interval if ON-Road driving is at 50K miles, but should be fine for longer. If you do want to address that, the great thing is, these are rebuildable. There are quite a few companies that rebuild all four for less that $1000. And FOX Racing can also do it.

So my overall thought is that you will be fine to 100K and likely double that. Again, others may add to, or have other opinions.

Enjoy the Raptor!

DC

Last edited:

tooloud10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're asking what you need to do to keep a high production mainstream vehicle from 2019 operating properly from 75-125k? Change the oil, do the maintenance, get the recalls done. That's literally all you need to do. Yes, a random unscheduled repair might come up that costs you $2-3k, which you should just shrug and fix because that solution is cheaper/easier than trading vehicles. Also, 75k is not remotely high mileage--200k is high mileage.

If these trucks couldn't get to 125k miles without expecting major problems, nobody would own them. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the request but I know that some people are deathly afraid of minor repairs; my older brother once traded in a 3-year-old Honda Accord because it required a single $200 repair--"I'm not gonna let this thing nickel-and-dime me", I recall him saying.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that's insane isn't it Gift baskets to FP, but whatever, to each there own I say. Keep your truck, it should last twice as long before any major repairs. I think the plugs are due at 100k, so why do them now, don't, just wait and do whats needed as you drive. Keep the oil changed, fluids topped up, change your air filter every year. Take half the money you would spend on a new Raptor and put that in a jar every month. Truck will be just fine and leave the shocks alone until they show signs of leaking if you're just commuting.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission fluid absolutely does need to be changed, and I’d recommend you change it before 7 years or 100k miles.
Yes! Agreed! 100%
1. These transmissions are sealed and the fluid does not need to be changed.

2. The rattle does nothing negative other than sound annoying for a few seconds. Far overblown hype that you read about
on forums like this.

3. ALL shocks need to be rebuilt or replaced once 70k comes around. That is not raptor specific.
Having said that many people can't tell much difference between shocks that are brand new and those that are shot.

You can look all day to try and find solutions to problems that don't really exist and you'll find plenty. Including those guys that say flush your brake fluid every year.

Point being it's real hard to separate good advice from bad when you are online. Good luck

hahahaha gift baskets for online advice. wow

Bottom line, this truck isn't special. It's an F150, albeit a cool one.
Yes! Do not listen to anyone that says any of the drivetrain does not need maintenance. Even when manufacturers say "Lifetime" fill, they usually are looking at their warranty period. And these are not sealed...They are easily serviceable...I have already done mine, so I am sure it is not "sealed"(as well as all diff's and transfer case to get some good Synthetic in them).

Also, while it is an F-150 Model line....There are a ton of differences between the Raptor and standard F150...>Starting with a different HO version of the 3.5 Ecoboost, most body panels, suspension, etc...long list.

Want to be sure the OP has correct/accurate information.

DC

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The automatic transmission is fully serviceable. The factory interval to change the fluid and filter under normal operating conditions is 150k miles (maximum); that can be tailored of course to each individual use case. It’s not going to hurt to change it sooner.

A light rattle noise from the turbocharger wastegates on cold start is normal; it will dissipate as the engine warms up.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea this thread is kinda stupid. Do the maintenance on the truck and it will last???
Why is his thread stupid? The OP asked a legitimate question about potential problem areas and/or longevity of his truck and his concerns, and was looking for feedback and information from knowledgeable owners or techs.

That is pretty much what forums are for. And anyone should feel comfortable, and be able to ask pretty much whatever they like...Again, what the forums are for.

Not sure how you feel it is helpful, or useful to call his thread stupid....?

DC

Macdaddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you need to be scared at all about driving past 70,000 miles. If nothing major has happened up till now and you haven’t had multiple mechanical/electrical etc problems, then I think ur fine till 150k + miles. As long as you MAINTAIN it and service it regularly it will be a reliable ride. Like a previous commenter said so what if you spend 2-3k on repairs, that’s a drop in the bucket to what you'd be spending on something new. And everything in our lives: cars, homes (even wives) need maintenance to keep us going.