My AC died on me again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been having an intermittent problem where my AC just dies. It just shuts off. The controls don't change, the blower just stops blowing, period.

I thought it could be the blower resistor, so I swapped it, but since it was intermittent and not reproducible, I just had to cross my fingers.

Well, it did it again today.

But this time, rather than just an intermittent fault that resolved itself in minutes, it was out for an hour. And let me tell you, it was HOT.

So I drove it to the dealer and the minute I drove up to the service bay, the AC started working.

But of course

Im running out of patience. There's nothing to diagnose but I'm not keeping a truck that has a AC on the fritz. Any ideas?

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been having an intermittent problem where my AC just dies. It just shuts off. The controls don't change, the blower just stops blowing, period.

I thought it could be the blower resistor, so I swapped it, but since it was intermittent and not reproducible, I just had to cross my fingers.

Well, it did it again today.

But this time, rather than just an intermittent fault that resolved itself in minutes, it was out for an hour. And let me tell you, it was HOT.

So I drove it to the dealer and the minute I drove up to the service bay, the AC started working.

But of course

Im running out of patience. There's nothing to diagnose but I'm not keeping a truck that has a AC on the fritz. Any ideas?

I'm kinda having the same issue with my 2011. Whats happening to me is that i'll start the truck, and the blower won't blow, but a few minutes later, it's on and working. I've been meaning to take it to the dealer, but it's always working when i get there.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Could be. It looks like an intermittent connection somewhere. But rather than a loose cable, I'm inclined to think its electronic. In any case, without being able to reproduce it, there's little to be done. They put it on the machine and there were no error codes. It was over six weeks since the last incident.

:mad:

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will have mine in tomorrow for the same reason at the dealer. Lucky enough they noticed the problem during my last oil change. I will let you know what we find out.

OP
OP
ZBoater

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm afraid mind might require that, but I can understand the dealer's reluctance in swapping a part like that without being able to reproduce the problem. Sucks I have to wait for it to break and put up with this intermittent failure.

Especially when I have a 9 year, 125K Ford ESP. Ford is paying for this one way or another. The question is how much aggravation and sweating I'll go through...

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will have mine in tomorrow for the same reason at the dealer. Lucky enough they noticed the problem during my last oil change. I will let you know what we find out.

Did you get a verdict from the dealership yet, Idleone? What's your truck's model year/mileage?

Crystal

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Next time it happens take that smart phone & record it & show them the evidence & tell them to replace the head unit. I believe you said you have already replaced the blow motor resistor, so it's probably the head unit. Good Luck!