Mud Flaps - should I / should I not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThankU45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somewhat on the fence about mud-flaps. First time truck owner, but I see the consensus here is that they are very useful especially in snow country (I live in New England).

Don't care for the look too much though. But still went ahead and order WeatherTech for the front and rear. Getting them installed on Thursday (along with rear wheel wells being Rhino lined).

Wanted to see if anyone might offer any argument against installing these?

Thanks much as always.

tm965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a pair of the weather tech flaps to the front wheel wells of my gen 3 to prevent rocks, mud, and cow shit from pelting the sides of my truck. long story short, they don't do as good of a job as I had hoped. the top halves of the doors aren't getting wrecked, but the bottom halves still are, at least with mud/shit. I hoped these would make clean up a lot easier and so far that's not really the case. The rigid weather tech flaps also will need to be removed when doing anything remotely resembling rock crawling.

OP
OP
T

ThankU45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Are the gravel, mud, rocks, etc. a problem more with truck wheel/well size and design than other vehicles? I don't have mud flaps on our SUV (Q7) and haven't had any paint chipping issues.