MPT Tune Version 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sent 6 logs, including a 5th gear pull.

Only time I've seen positive KR is uphill at part throttle, and that's +1-+2, under WOT, I've seen plenty of -KR, which apparently means there's timing to be added potentially.

My transmission definitely doesn't shift like butter. The 1-2 shift is a clunk under part throttle and in regular mode. The downshift under WOT feels confused and ends unhanging in a gear near redline which causes the power to flatten. I'm sure they'll get it figured out, I'm just disappointed so far.

It sounds like something is wrong but who knows. Maybe your expectations are just higher than mine. I got the 93 PRX, the 93 performance tow, and the 91 PRX without transmission tuning. Did you get one without the trans. tuning? That might be worth trying for you. Some people are saying that the performance tow is by for the best daily driver. I'm just so happy with the 93PRX that I don't want to try it yet.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like something is wrong but who knows. Maybe your expectations are just higher than mine. I got the 93 PRX, the 93 performance tow, and the 91 PRX without transmission tuning. Did you get one without the trans. tuning? That might be worth trying for you. Some people are saying that the performance tow is by for the best daily driver. I'm just so happy with the 93PRX that I don't want to try it yet.

I suspect the tune needs to be cleaned up. Based on everyones reviews, I don't think my expectations are high. The truck legitimately drives worse with the tune as far as transmission shifting goes.

I do have the 91 w/o trans and the 91 tow. I've just been waiting a couple days to see what they say before I go flashing something else and having the trans start all over.

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Load the tow tune.

If you aren’t happy with it....

You need something a little more tame than MPT, in which case I recommend Gearhead.

They have the finest transmission agorithms I’ve ever tested, in terms of being polite and mannerly.

I suspect the tune needs to be cleaned up. Based on everyones reviews, I don't think my expectations are high. The truck legitimately drives worse with the tune as far as transmission shifting goes.

I do have the 91 w/o trans and the 91 tow. I've just been waiting a couple days to see what they say before I go flashing something else and having the trans start all over.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Load the tow tune.

If you aren’t happy with it....

You need something a little more tame than MPT, in which case I recommend Gearhead.

They have the finest transmission agorithms I’ve ever tested, in terms of being polite and mannerly.

I don't know that tame is the problem here. It's purely the rough/missed shift points that's driving me nuts. I've built and raced multiple high HP vehicles over the years, I'm plenty fine with power.

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

To update, I did get a new 91PRX file back from MPT, although based on the language, they didn't address the tranny issues, and "smoothed out the throttle application". My primary concern was the shifting, and I conveyed that, along with videos. I guess we'll see.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far, looks like the tune I got dropped some of the boost into the low 19's. Not seeing 20 like I did before. Not sure if they do throttle mapping, but as it stands, I should have kept the Power Commander and run it with the tune. Transmission shifting is better around town, but still has the goofy downshift at 45-65mph where it seems to hang up near redline for a bit, which causes the power curve to feel flat.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far, looks like the tune I got dropped some of the boost into the low 19's. Not seeing 20 like I did before. Not sure if they do throttle mapping, but as it stands, I should have kept the Power Commander and run it with the tune. Transmission shifting is better around town, but still has the goofy downshift at 45-65mph where it seems to hang up near redline for a bit, which causes the power curve to feel flat.

This doesn't sound right to me. If you mean the Pedal commander then this 93-PRX tune feels like sport+ +2 to me without the jerking and if you watch the speedometer it is raising much faster than stock with a pedal commander. I had to pull off the pedal commander. I don't think anyone would want to run both for sure. Does anyone out there do this? 19 or 20 boost is a lot I believe. Did the MPT boys say anything about the "goofy downshift"? I am still looking for something to adjust or complain about but I can't find anything.

fitzyro

Reaction score
This doesn't sound right to me. If you mean the Pedal commander then this 93-PRX tune feels like sport+ +2 to me without the jerking and if you watch the speedometer it is raising much faster than stock with a pedal commander. I had to pull off the pedal commander. I don't think anyone would want to run both for sure. Does anyone out there do this? 19 or 20 boost is a lot I believe. Did the MPT boys say anything about the "goofy downshift"? I am still looking for something to adjust or complain about but I can't find anything.

I have both MPT and the pedal commander running, Pedal commander is on lowest setting, think ill get MPT to leave throttle response at stock and use the PC to control the sensitivity of the throttle. Can be very jerky when driving around town but great on the highway.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both MPT and the pedal commander running, Pedal commander is on lowest setting, think ill get MPT to leave throttle response at stock and use the PC to control the sensitivity of the throttle. Can be very jerky when driving around town but great on the highway.

I pulled mine off. It is the Pedal Commander P4 PC18 model so I could put it on my wife's explorer sport but she won't let me. I do miss the adjustability but usually I just left it on sport +2. It looks good on the shelf with the US flag Rappy graphic. I hope that Rappy re-opens after the rumored lawsuit from Ford.

Gregger

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Honestly, It doesn't feel right to see either. And yes, meant Pedal Commander. :)

I've mentioned the transmission shifting issue, sent them videos, etc, and got back a tune with a "smoothed out power curve" with no mention of the tranny issue.

FWIW, they've been easy to deal with, and moderately quickly responsive to questions.