MPT Tune Version 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alt doesn’t really play into the math much cuz you have a turbo.

That differs from what this article states:

https://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tech/boosting-altitude-elevation-effects-turbochargers/

"If you are someone who lives close to sea level and you are talking to a guy on a forum who lives in Denver, the same turbo isn’t going to perform the same. Being 5,000 feet lower in elevation than the guy in Denver means the turbo will be spinning roughly 5 to 10 percent slower for the same power. That may or may not seem like a lot, but it may result in the same amount of boost coming in 200, 300 or even 400 rpm later. When cruising on the freeway (low RPMs) or taking off with a trailer hooked up, that’s a huge difference! To get the performance he is getting, you may need to step down one or even two sizes just because of the altitude of your location."

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes ... but what I’m saying is alt doesn’t decide if a tune will benefit you or not.
I tuneveill benefit you as much as a low alt guy.
A tune co may have a few tweaks that might help but over all a tune will be felt a similar amount at any alt

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point is that the turbocharging (in general) makes up the deficit that a normally aspirated engine suffers from. Going from stock to the MPT tune (or any of your choosing) will also result in a kick in the pants. All said however, at higher altitudes the turbo must work harder (spin faster) to reach the same manifold pressure due to the lower ambient baro pressure. In some cases at very high altitudes (7k ft likely) the turbo is too small and the ECU targeted Load and Torque will be reduced, again due to the lower barometric pressure. There are several tables that are referenced to baro pressure.

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbos make up the deficit to some extent, but they don't make it up completely. I've been drag racing both at sea-level and at high altitude for 30 years. It's a proven fact that both turbo'd and naturally aspirated lose power up here at altitude, unless you're talking about the crazy 1500+ HP cars. Generally speaking, street legal turbo'd cars lose ~.5 seconds in the quarter mile at Bandimere Raceway (elevation 5800') while naturally aspirated vehicles lose at least a full second (I've seen up to +1.25 seconds in the quarter mile compared to sea level). It's also why all three vehicles we own all have turbos. :)

Back to my original question - What is the consensus on whether or not I need to get custom-tuned? Do the computers just figure it all out, even with a canned MPT tune. Maybe it's a moot point, because it appears that MPT will make revisions if I do some logging and send them the logs.

Last edited:

lnferno

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was hoping for more unbiased educated opinions, but again, it sounds like it's a moot point because they do offer revisions if necessary. I'm anxiously awaiting to see what Cobb comes out with. Right now, I'm leaning towards MPT. I do like what I've seen in this thread (for the most part, haha). The only thing that would win my business with Cobb is if they have some unique/compelling differentiator. Time will tell.

Milovaughn

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated. The AFE caused codes and the truck ran like a bag of $hit(I’m sure the badg would run faster). Took the truck back to the dealer, they disconnected the AFE Scorcher Blue. Cleared the codes, the truck even had a code from the transmission itself. It look s like I’m going to give MPT a try. Also really leaning on the Deaver leaf springs. Just stock height, anything higher won’t be able to get the truck into the underground parking spot.

Bulldog17

Reaction score
So, getting oil changed at dealer. Before going flash mpt 93prx back to stock. Mechanic says inspection is due, truck needs nothing (2017 scab) do I want it inspected, sure. Service manager comes out and says cant do an emission test because computer was reset and not enough miles on reset to get proper numbers. He asks if the battery was disconnected or did I have a tune on it....denied the tune, said I was working on aftermarket lights. He said ok come back after a couple hundred miles.....just saying....he was fishing, didn't push it...but they know Raptors and owners like tunes....this was outside Philly...