MPT Tune Version 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll be curious to hear your results.

I bought the suction cup mount and have it installed at the bottom left of the windshield. i pulled the pillar trim off and was able to hide the cord completely.

Also I don't run a front plate or bracket. PA doesn't require a front plate.

Doing some looking for aftermarket inter coolers I saw CJ's sells a Misimoto cooler that only advertises a 10 degree drop over factory temps. That's not even worth it.

I took the truck out for a short sprint this evening and my highest reading was about 20 degrees above ambient. I live in Texas, so my ambient was 98 degrees and I saw temps on the way back home of 118. This is higher than what Nikhsub1 mentioned, but he might be in a colder part of the country.

I also saw 18-19 psi of boost under full throttle and between 170-180 on my t-stat which I swapped out for a 170.

Here is the front of mine, with a painted black Full Race IC which makes it invisible... :biggrin:

Raptor 2018 F2.jpg

Last edited:

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be after the intercooler - and yes, normal with the ****** OEM IC... Put a proper relocated IC on and those temps drop to not much more than ambient, within 10 degrees.

Not on the Raptor. The IAT2 sensor is not mounted at the throttle body that would indicate the true after-intercooler temp. Instead it is mounted inside the intake manifold at the rear, so it is much hotter than what you really want to see for intercooler efficiency. HOWEVER, the location of the sensor is MUCH more accurate for the air temp that is actually entering the engine.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I did a short run last night on my way home. Rolled in the throttle fairly aggressively on an up hill grade. I came off of a stop sign so I started from a stop. I stayed in it until about 70 MPH. Ambient temp was 81, IAT2 reading went to 135 and engine temp went to 226. Engine temp quickly went down as I backed out of the throttle. I still have the factory t-stat. I didn't watch boost but the nGauge lights stayed green and was well in the negative with timing. So it wasn't picking up any engine knock. Just can't imagine what the IAT2's will ready when it's 95 or 100 here.

When the IAT2 temp hits 120 the numbers get brighter as if in a warning? Anyone know if that's set like that as a warning?

Does the lower temp thermostat have any affect on the IAT2 temp? I wouldn't see how it could other than the lower engine temp would help offset the higher IAT.

Last edited:

Onemoosehorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did a short run last night on my way home. Rolled in the throttle fairly aggressively on an up hill grade. I came off of a stop sign so I started from a stop. I stayed in it until about 70 MPH. Ambient temp was 81, IAT2 reading went to 135 and engine temp went to 226. Engine temp quickly went down as I backed out of the throttle. I still have the factory t-stat. I didn't watch boost but the nGauge lights stayed green and was well in the negative with timing. So it wasn't picking up any engine knock. Just can't imagine what the IAT2's will ready when it's 95 or 100 here.

Does the lower temp thermostat have any affect on the IAT2 temp? I wouldn't see how it could other than the lower engine temp would help offset the higher IAT.

I was wondering about engine temp. AFE stage 2 intake, 542 plugs, Kooks catted DP’s and turbo adapters and I was running 220-222 in boost when the temps were in the high 90’s here in NEPA. Again, the temps dropped as soon as I was out of boost.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score

When the IAT2 temp hits 120 the numbers get brighter as if in a warning? Anyone know if that's set like that as a warning?

I did not notice the brighter lights, but I had the NGauge sitting on my lower console because I do not have a suction cup mount. I am not sure what the stock temperatures are on our trucks, but it sounds like the Full Race IC and 170 t-stat are really doing their jobs when compared to your higher temps. Maybe you can talk with your master techs at work to see what they think.

I will let other chime in, but I do not think a lower t-stat will help with the IAT2 temps since they are separate systems.

I was wondering about engine temp. AFE stage 2 intake, 542 plugs, Kooks catted DP’s and turbo adapters and I was running 220-222 in boost when the temps were in the high 90’s here in NEPA. Again, the temps dropped as soon as I was out of boost.

I have the 542 plugs and SPD TAs as well, but I never ran them without the 170 t-stat for comparisons. I know others have said there is no real benefit to a lower temp t-stat, but I did mine to keep the engine running cooler for our long hot summers.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not on the Raptor. The IAT2 sensor is not mounted at the throttle body that would indicate the true after-intercooler temp. Instead it is mounted inside the intake manifold at the rear, so it is much hotter than what you really want to see for intercooler efficiency. HOWEVER, the location of the sensor is MUCH more accurate for the air temp that is actually entering the engine.

According to Full Race, IAT2 is what they used to measure the difference between OEM and their IC - with significant difference. If it were measured where you say, there would be zero difference no matter what intercooler is used.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Full Race, IAT2 is what they used to measure the difference between OEM and their IC - with significant difference. If it were measured where you say, there would be zero difference no matter what intercooler is used.

Well you can you can get off your ass and go out to your truck and figure out where IAT2 sensor is yourself and be sure about it, like I did, OR you can believe me, OR you can believe the vendor who's sole purpose of making a claim of any sort is trying to sell you a product. I haven't read any true objective analysis of the intercooler efficiency and was setting up to measure it myself when I discovered where the IAT sensors were actually located. There is a MAP sensor at the throttle body which would NORMALLY be a T-MAP to measure the air entering the manifold right from the intercooler. However it is a MAP, not T-MAP. Anyway, I (or you) can make the (any) IAT2 sensor read much lower by injecting a little ****/water into the intake...

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I forgot to mention but I do have the 542 plugs. That shouldn't have any bearing on the IAT2 temps though.

I did email MPT asking them what kind of temps they are seeing with IAT2 and if there is any reason the numbers on the nGauge that display that temp get brighter at 120 degrees. No word back yet.

TXRaptor I have my temps displayed above my engine temp gauge on the dash courtesy of forscan. So stock trim with the stock t-stat the engine temps are about the same.

Even with the IAT2 mounted inside of the intake manifold wouldn't intercooler efficiency still be measurable with it?

Last edited:

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which now makes me believe IAT2 is not where you think it is.

Yeah there’s a lot of people on this forum who do nothing but “think” about things with no actual knowledge whatsoever which results in wrong assumptions. You should just believe the vendor because it can be true as they want it to be.

You’re the person who said “If it were measured where you say, there would be zero difference no matter what intercooler is used”, not me.

There remains the factual scenario where an intercooler can be measured with the existing IAT2 location IF the test setup is strictly controlled. The IAT2 sensor becomes heat soaked fairly rapidly while the engine is off. It will exceed 140 deg within minutes when shut down after running at ~90 deg with ~80 deg IAT1. All tests can be manipulated quite easily to show results desired.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 PM ----------

...Even with the IAT2 mounted inside of the intake manifold wouldn't intercooler efficiency still be measurable with it?

Yes, it is fairly accurately measurable if the test conditions are setup properly. It is very easy to overstate the replacement effects as "great" and/or understate the OEM effects as "poor". Just know that while driving at a steady throttle speed for 10-15 minutes that the IAT2 will usually run about 10-15 deg warmer than the ambient at IAT1, which is the air entering the turbo inlets. This is pretty much as good as it gets. If you measure IAT2 against the ambient outside temp, it will usually run 20 or more deg higher. If you understand where the temp sensors are located, it makes perfect sense. If you want to manipulate the numbers to sell a product, it is quite easy to do as well. All while showing the actual numbers to the customer to show "legitimacy".