Moonroof Issue, Advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. It’s going in next week to have it replaced.
I think that is a good call. It's not worth having water in your truck.

I replaced the moonroof mechanism on my Gen 1 myself and I would much rather it have been under warranty. It wasn't a difficult job, just time consuming and cumbersome. I did have the passenger seat and head liner completely out of the truck.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the Workshop Manual procedures, it looks like the roof opening panel frame will need to be removed, which requires dropping the headliner. The headliner is held up by magnets, so as long as they don’t crease it there shouldn’t be any issues.
Magnets??? Interesting idea. I assume that the liner just pulls down then. I was wondering how to run some wires above it. This would make that pretty simple.

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magnets??? Interesting idea. I assume that the liner just pulls down then. I was wondering how to run some wires above it. This would make that pretty simple.
If it is like the Gen 1s, the magnets just help hold up portions and keep it from drooping where there aren't any fasteners. There are still plenty for fasteners and a lot of other stuff has to be removed before the headliner will come down/out.

Forrest Lusk

Reaction score
I noticed the seal on my moonroof wasn’t seated correctly and had my dealer look at it when it was in for service. They ordered a replacement seal and I’m waiting to bring it back. The service advisor said they would have to pull the glass to repair. I’m wondering if I should just leave it as is since I’m not having any leaking issues currently. Just don’t want to open myself to more problems having them drop the headliner and pull the glass. Any advice from others here? Maybe @FordTechOne can advise if they actually have to pull the glass to replace that seal?

Attached photo of the problem side and of what it should look like.
Weird, I have the exact same issue on my '22 and wasn't sure about getting it fixed. I will have the body shop look at it when it goes in for paint cleanup.

OP
OP
J

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I have the exact same issue on my '22 and wasn't sure about getting it fixed. I will have the body shop look at it when it goes in for paint cleanup.

Picked up my truck from having the seal replaced. Galpin Ford did a decent job with it, only a couple minor issues on pickup. Expected since they removed most of the interior and the headliner moonroof to repair.

Noticed the seal looked different. Tech said this is that the 4th one they’ve done. Ford has updated the seal on the stationary section of glass to address the issue.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad to hear they got you squared away. Thanks for the update about the stationary section of glass. Something to be mindful of.

GTC-NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2013. Asked on this forum several times for help and received ZERO feedback. At least I see you got some hits...

The dealers here in Northern Virginia are asking for a TON OF MONEY and I BASICALLY JUST HATE FORD DEALERS (other reasons too)!

My moonroof glass is not broken only the guides and the brackets are broken. The metal rail/track is OK. I can buy a new kit for about $100...but I DO NOT FIND ANYBODY TO INSTALL IT for an acceptable amount of money. On YouTube they say it can be done in about 2 hours. I am willing to pay $500 for installation!

ANYBODY KNOWS A PLACE IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA THAT CAN DO THIS ?

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to have the track replaced on my 19, it sealed better after they were done than from the factory.