Modifying transmission dip stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Either way, the 6r80 has been installed in millions of vehicles since 2010, with billions of miles on them.... why are the owners still trying to figure out how to service and maintain it? Why can't we get a legit answer how to get 13qts filled into a system with a cooler mounted ABOVE the fill plug by pumping fluid into a pan that only holds 2qts, which is at the lowest spot on the entire system? Why isn't there a fill port at the highest spot by the cooler? Why hasn't anybody figured out a simple hack to cut in a tee on that cooler line so you could stand upright in front of the truck and safely fill the system without burning your flesh?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Either way, the 6r80 has been installed in millions of vehicles since 2010, with billions of miles on them.... why are the owners still trying to figure out how to service and maintain it? Why can't we get a legit answer how to get 13qts filled into a system with a cooler mounted ABOVE the fill plug by pumping fluid into a pan that only holds 2qts, which is at the lowest spot on the entire system? Why isn't there a fill port at the highest spot by the cooler? Why hasn't anybody figured out a simple hack to cut in a tee on that cooler line so you could stand upright in front of the truck and safely fill the system without burning your flesh?
I have been thinking about your post, sir, and I think that it is one of the most insightful I've ever read on FRF. You're right! Filling the transmission at its lowest point is ridiculous. There has to be a better way.

Years ago Prestone marketed a little kit that made flushing and filling automotive cooling systems a breeze. As I recall, you cut a heater line at its highest point and inserted a plastic T-fitting that had a garden hose-type fixture with a screw-on cap. To flush, you drained the system, pulled the bottom hose off the radiator, connected the garden hose to the T-fitting on the heater hose, and turned on the water. Brilliant! Worked like a charm. Something similar on one of the trans fluid lines at the cooler might be a welcome solution. Why wouldn't that work?

Last edited:

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Adding a "T" fitting right there seems safe, cheap, simple..... and convenient. (I watched a YT video where he pulled that line to fill the trans, but trying to squeeze that line back on in a confined space seemed unnecessary). You cannot CHECK the fluid level from there, but you can certainly ADD the proper amount without scorching your hand, crawling under the pig, or covering yourself in spilled fluid. Then, it should be safe to test drive long enough to observe the trans temp, check for leaks, go through the gears repeatedly, and when everything else is good, you should really only need to check the level once through that stupid cap. Then, go put on 50,000 carefree miles and worry about OTHER things.

Attachments

• 20231025_090101.jpg
    20231025_090101.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 8

BalanBro

Reaction score
I think they basically made it so that the dealer can make money on the service. There are some many stupid easy things that could have been done to make it more serviceable. For example, on the Mercedes 722.9 which has a similar pan and filter setup, there is a tube attached to the drain plug port that sticks up the proper height for fluid level. You pump it up through that port (safely away from anything hot or dangerous), and stop when it starts to drip out with the engine running. No guess work at checking the level, and no burnt hands/arms.