Misbuild Claim Process when buying Used...? Missing BLIS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Guessing it was either damaged and the previous owner did the repair or the parts were stolen and replaced with the least expensive option. Either way it would not show up on a carfax. Your recourse is to pay for the tail lights and have your mirror caps painted or live with it. No way in hell will Ford admit or cover the costs.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hard to be certain, but the previous owner could have been in an accident, and kept it off the books. Did things with the mirrors, or the rear tail lights.

That is the danger the dealer would have. Warranty is warranty. they have to honor it. But hard to know what modifications were done.

OP
OP
RaptorNewbie2018
Reaction score
Hard to be certain, but the previous owner could have been in an accident, and kept it off the books. Did things with the mirrors, or the rear tail lights.

That is the danger the dealer would have. Warranty is warranty. they have to honor it. But hard to know what modifications were done.

Guessing it was either damaged and the previous owner did the repair or the parts were stolen and replaced with the least expensive option. Either way it would not show up on a carfax. Your recourse is to pay for the tail lights and have your mirror caps painted or live with it. No way in hell will Ford admit or cover the costs.

Yeah.... Right now, EVERYone I call is ping ponging me around. The color matched caps are something I'm sure I'll likely have to just handle on my own, but the BLIS tail-lights seem like something the Ford parts department already confirmed was inaccurate, by checking my specific VIN#. I feel because of that, they can't use the excuse of previous owner being in an accident that was unreported, or the previous owner modifying the truck.

Whether or not that confirmation will matter is the question, since no one wants to own the resolution (yet). The fact that the previous owner took ownership of a $70k+ truck & didn't get this resolved is crazy. I can't be the only one OCD enough to catch this, (even tho it took me a week to realize it).

tlnt60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So a few things could have happened.
1. Truck crashed, repaired and quickly traded in before it reported to carfax.
2. Truck crashed, repaired without an info being sent to carfax and traded in.
3. Bed/taillights stolen and repacked with cheapest ones.
4. Mirrors, taillights damaged by angry ex wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/other and cheapest parts used to trade in truck.

My bet is on number 4 as it’s trail lights and mirrors. The likelihood that it came out of the factory that way, AND the previous owner didn’t correct has got to be near zero....

Either way, your fight is with the dealer you bought the truck from, might be able to get them to take it back as it’s not what was advertised, some states have a 5 day or something rule with used car sales.

Good Luck and keep us in the loop!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like the BLIS lights plus the radar unit is around $700 total per side, and the non-BLIS lights are just under $700 per side.
https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...-v6-gas-engine/electrical-cat/tail-lamps-scat

Mirror prices are all over the place, depending on what features they have. BLIS is part of the mirrors too.
https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...l-v6-gas-engine/body-cat/outside-mirrors-scat

I'm thinking someone at the dealership wanted BLIS on their F150 and took it from your truck, then swapped their parts onto your truck. You are SOL- there's zero chance you are getting those replaced by any dealer. Live with it or chump up the money and replace it and sell off the old parts to re-coup some of the cost. Buying new does have some advantages. Used is cheaper, but you just never know what was done to it before you got it unless it's coming from someone you can trust 100%.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buying ANY used vehicle involves a certain amount of risk, even vehicles that have a spotless history. Example: Joe Blow gets lightly rear ended to the tune of $1500 in damages to repair his vehicle. Damaging party pays cash to have it repaired at a body shop to avoid a jump in insurance premiums. The incident never gets reported to law enforcement and Carfax shows a clean report.

The only way to truly know if a vehicle has been repaired/repainted is by using a paint thickness gauge. Factory paint will be roughly the same thickness, repainted body panels will be significantly different.

Last edited:

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with EricM,
except

The PO wanted BLIS on their other F150, so he swapped parts before trading.

Sorry it happened to you,
but you have no chance with Ford, maybe the dealer you bought it from will pony up part of the cost to upgrade.

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree - the used window sticker says "as is". It is up to the person buying to know what they are supposed to get. Sucks, but you are stuck with it. Someone could have also "test drove" this back to their house and swapped parts. This stuff happens all the time. I was reading where people were renting Home Depot GMC pickups so that they could swap headlights out. New were $900. 1hr rental at THD was $40.