Mileage on one tank/Frequency of fill up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have roughly a 6 and a half hour drive back home after I pick up my truck from Bremerhaven on Tuesday (yes, the beast is finally on German Soil!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:) How far do you get on one tank of gas would you say? And how much is your fill up?

American forces here in Europe have to fill up from a prepaid (recharged) gas card. We only fill up at ESSO stations. With that card, we put money on it and we get the US price. So we only pay whatver price per gallon the US average is. Not the Price per LITER that the Germans pay. (which is roughly 3.50 EURO a Liter) Do the math.

I'm asking this so I can prefill my card before i leave with a good amount. I'm thinking about 250 bucks for the 6 hour ride back...filling up 3 times perhaps? the drive is 90% on DAS AUTOBAHN!!!

Thanks in advance.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
High speed really kills the mileage.

I have a 5.4 and can easily drive 5 to 6 hours (400+ miles) on one tank (~26 gallons) of highway driving at a decent speed... I made it 480 miles once and it took almost 27 gallons to fill.

With some reports that 6.2 starts out with really low mileage... it's hard to say. If you figure you'll get 10mpg @ 80mph you'd be using 8 gallons per hour times 6.5 hours=52 gallons which is about 2 tanks....so planning on 3 tanks would be very safe.

Have a GREAT trip and enjoy!!!!

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As stated above, new motors will start out a little on the low side of mileage but you shouldn't need more than two tanks of fuel. I have made countless trips to Dallas (5.5hrs) with a Supercharged 5.4L truck using just a little over a tank...the same thing in our Z71 Tahoe using a NA 5.3L. I generally refuel around half tank and this gets me to where I need any where in Dallas (5.5hr trip) with fuel to burn.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
x2 on Mark's math. I can easily get 400miles on a tank keeping 'er at moderate freeway speeds (65-70). But the 6.2... 3 fill ups seems safe.

Hey, if ya are up for it, keep track of your mileage/fill ups. Will probably provide some valuable info on a brand new 6.2.

Have a GREAT drive Nacho. You've more than earned it !

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 5.4 and can easily drive 5 to 6 hours (400+ miles) on one tank (~26 gallons) of highway driving at a decent speed... I made it 480 miles once and it took almost 27 gallons to fill.

Umm, I'm not sure Nacho is going to drive err, as slowly as you do Mark :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Given that it's a brand new truck and David has many months of frustration to take out behind the wheel and the fact, like you said, that "high speed really kills the mileage", I'll bet he gets about 10 miles per gallon (not km/gal) if he does 70-80 (or more!).

Above all else, stay out of the left lane :mrgreen: use your blinker :mrgreen: don't pass on the right :mrgreen: and have a great drive!

germany-autobahn.jpg

and make sure your Raptor avoids the T-Rex on the autobahn!

autobahn1.jpg

OP
OP
Nacho

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feed back. So i'm guessing 200 bucks should cover more than enough fuel to get back. Should have some left over to get a shnitzel and some beer!

SOCOMech

Famous Raptor
Reaction score
I'm averaging about 330 mi. to the tank. That was even when I had less than 1k mi. on it. I've found that 75-80mph steady on the highway will get you 14mpg.....according to the information screen that is.

Frivol

Full Access Member
Reaction score
congratulations my friend!! avoid the temptation to push it, i know how easy it to want to open anything up on the autobahn. oh and fwi, germans LOVE to target nice american vehicles and cause an accident with them. trust me i know.

oh yeah, save me a beer :'( i hate being over here.

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maaaan NACHO your making me jealous and hungry at the same time. I loved the german beer and food when i was there. congrats on your new Raptor Bro.

SFC Gash

Raptor enroute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If he drives 70 / 80 on the autobahn he will get run over let her rip Nacho and congratulations have a good time my brother.