Midwest WI trip weekend of the 23rd of August

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bussy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to participate in this adventure (coming from North Branch, MN). Please put me on the list. Bussy, would you want to convoy from MN on Sat morning?

Hey 13raptorcrew!
I'm sitting as a "maybe" for now. I broke my leg behind the knee while sliding into second base and have surgery this Friday to add a couple screws to my tibia. Based on my recovery, I'll see if I can make part of this with you!!

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok everyone, I want to say this one more time, this is not so much of a TRAIL as it is a ROUTE. The "T " in trail make **** sound better than TWAR, with that said, this ROUTE was created by motorcycle guys running those BMW offroad bikes. We were able to find a KMZ file that someone made that shows a path that Trucks can make. I think Tom posted a link to the **** website. The route was made to traverse from the Illinois border north to Lake Superior with a minimum amount of time on paved 4 lane roads. I would say that in the 225 miles I have driven of the 660 entire miles ( from Black River Falls south to the Illinois border there was 25% paved 2 lane asphalt stripped road, 25% 2 lane asphalt no stripes, 20% tar and chip roads, 25% gravel / dirt roads and 5% dirt road or two tracks. Lots of left and right turns, sometimes you think your just drove in a big circle. We started looking at this run as a "Fall Colors" run to keep the wives involved. Steve and I had a great time a few weeks ago scouting. Lots of places to go fast and places to drift. All of it is on public roads. I just don't want someone to say, I though we were going offroading. Go to the dunes or the badland or Baldwin, This is a Sunday drive with friends. Enough said....

This is a great way to explain this trip thanks Keith!!

That being said I am doing a lot of research into the road surfaces of roads to try and find the best route for us to take traveling over as little paved surface as possible. I have printed and colorized all the road maps from the forest service for the Chequamegon and Nicolet National Forests and have been using google earth imagery to try to evaluate road surfaces on those routes.

Open option I have found is that if we meet with the MN group in Wausau there is a forest service road known as the pipeline trail that starts around 70 miles NEE of Wausau. This is still a public road but should be one of the more fun sections we would encounter on the route (in WI), the road runs for around 17-18 miles north. After this we have a couple of options (research in progress):

1) Continue north for around 2 hours on forest service roads to Ottawa National forest where there are a large network of real trails, for which I am collecting some maps. Which we would then use to head west back into WI finding somewhere to camp for the night (probably a FS campground in or around Chequamegon National Forest). We will be able to cover some of the route taken in option 2 on Sunday as we head back south.

2) Take a loop through American Legion State Forest, Northern Highland State Forest and Chequamegon National Forest to end up back in the Chippewa Falls area for the evening.

Now the question for you all is which of these sounds more interesting to you?

Note: Option 1 will probably require SCABs to carry 2 extra 5Gal fuel cans, and SCREWs one.

Oh and participant list has been updated.

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is a sneak peak of the first section of the route, most of this section is on dirt roads with a few sections on surfaced roads.

PYUfQo7.jpg

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, I we are a large group I need to know if you want to camp with the group or would rather get a hotel room. Please pm me your choice so I can start looking for campgrounds that will take us with reasonable priced hotels close by (possibly even a group rate if there are enough people).

13raptorcrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any (out of the ordinary) tools or radio recommendations for this trip? What are other people going to be using/bringing along? Will we need any state park passes, orv passes?

Just doing a little homework before the trip...

OP
OP
t_j

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any (out of the ordinary) tools or radio recommendations for this trip? What are other people going to be using/bringing along? Will we need any state park passes, orv passes?

Just doing a little homework before the trip...

Info added to the first page, summary: The usual recovery tools, handhelds will do, passes will depend on camping location, no ORV passes required for the route at this stage.

If you have not filled in the signup form please do so. Signup deadline is Friday 8th August, signup confirmations will be sent out over the weekend.

Last edited: