Mega Loud Clunk Gen3 in 4WD full lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That ain’t right. He’s going straight, so 4x4 shouldn’t make a diff.
Didn’t @Oldfart have some issue where reverse was creating some horrifying noise?

Welcome to FRF @Just_AO
#OneLessprius
I had to google the typhoon/cyclone donuts, never heard that term. I did have some bad/scary noises coming from my front end when in 2 wheel drive. It would bind really hard and make god awful noises. I ended up going into an empty parking lot, put it in 4 wheel and idled forward about 50 feet in a straight line. It made a crazy noise as if teeth were missing from gears and then a bang that about made me crap on my seat. It needed a new transfer case. They ended up finding a partially fractured, not broken, wire in the harness and it had been making the 4 wheel system partially engage randomly.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
OP
OP
Just_AO

Just_AO

Reaction score
UPDATE:

IMG_9276.jpg

Today we checked on the front diff with no sign of break whatsoever. Oil was quite dark but no residue of metals

We also took the boots of the CV Axle but no sign of anything lose or broken..

Next step is to completly remove the CV Axle and inspect it.

The clunk is quite strong and make the whole front axle area jump sligtly when it happens (only in 4WD) Nothing at all in 2WD

OP
OP
Just_AO

Just_AO

Reaction score
The only video I could find that resembles my issue is the follong link:

But there is no resolved issue on that truck it seems..

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:

View attachment 439329

Today we checked on the front diff with no sign of break whatsoever. Oil was quite dark but no residue of metals

We also took the boots of the CV Axle but no sign of anything lose or broken..

Next step is to completly remove the CV Axle and inspect it.

The clunk is quite strong and make the whole front axle area jump sligtly when it happens (only in 4WD) Nothing at all in 2WD
When you had the cover off did you jack the front end off the ground and spin the tires to see if you could see any movement in there?

OP
OP
Just_AO

Just_AO

Reaction score
When you had the cover off did you jack the front end off the ground and spin the tires to see if you could see any movement in there?
No the truck was lifted on a big lift during the work. We couldn't test that..

But prior to that I did lift all four wheels of the truck and engage drive in 4WD but there is no clunking sound at all. Nothing, in drive, reverse or full lock sound was gone.

The sound only occurs when the truck is on the ground with load on its parts..