Lug nut choice - Gorilla, McGard, something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MEIRONMAN207

¿Goin somewhere...What are RU waiting 4?
Reaction score
I went with DP-Accessories OEM style lug nuts for OEM applications.; Black Lug Nut Kit, 2.21" Tall, Conical 60 Degree Seat, M14x2.00 Thread Size, 21mm Hex Size

51pNjPnebRL.jpg
Description

DP-Accessories has teamed up Gorilla Automotive Products to set new standards in lug nut design and construction. Gorilla Automotive Products has engineered these lug nuts to surpass the highest OEM (Original Equipment Manufactured) quality standards. Their lengthy quality control process combined with extensive testing ensures that you will receive a durable, long lasting lug nut. Take a close look. Because these are absolutely the finest "one piece" lug nuts ever made and designed for those that demand the very best.

These solid one piece lug nuts are designed to fit factory aluminum wheels on many Ford Trucks/SUVs (2001-2014) and Lincoln Trucks/SUVs (2003-2012). They are a direct replacement for Ford Motor Company factory part numbers 4L3Z-1012-A and 7L1Z1012A. They also replace Dorman part numbers 611-288, 611-288.1 and 9-100042.1.
456F3087-0A1E-4996-B117-A6AACEF4072E.jpeg
They look good and are well made. The Black appear to be some kind of coating. Just got them so no long term use opinions yet.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I’m not a fan of lock nuts. Total pain if you lose the key or strip the nut.

I got a set of McGard bulge nuts en route and I figure they have a bit more land making contact with the some seat on the rim. Something to consider with 146lbft on the lug nut.

Hoping the Ford nuts aren’t swollen and come off easy.

They are already off as I have Venom's on right now.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should definitely see how the nuts feel in your hand, as they may be too big for your hands. Of course, if you want to be certain you have the correct nuts, you’re going to have to see how they taste.

Let us know which nuts you chose, and why !
No judgment.

;)

How will I know if they taste right? Please give a description of what proper nuts taste like. I'm guessing you're a master at this?

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The bigger your nuts, the better ...

I expected that from @Oldfart

Yeah, well, he was AWOL.

You should definitely see how the nuts feel in your hand, as they may be too big for your hands. Of course, if you want to be certain you have the correct nuts, you’re going to have to see how they taste.

Now THIS is more along the lines of what I expect from @Oldfart I don't know why he didn't jump on this opportunity, maybe he's off practicing a little self love.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got my McGards today.

926DEB27-0B33-4E36-A11C-69F0EE48FC2A.jpeg 5BFAD6BF-1B3D-45E9-9EFC-7034A4C10F62.jpeg E72EBB51-858F-49E4-8188-6C03AC1303B8.jpeg

Good amount of land to make contact with the cone seat. Really nice finish on the McGards and I’ve always had excellent experience with them. Only issue is that you gotta carry a breaker bar with a 22mm socket. 7/8” is equivalent.

Now I got bulge nuts and won’t have to worry about swollen nuts.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
How will I know if they taste right? Please give a description of what proper nuts taste like.

I had to ask my wife, and she immediately quipped: “You’re trolling that 911 kook aren’t you” ...

I replied : “it’s 911 crazy and I wouldn’t call it trolling, but he needs to know what nuts should taste like. Without judgment.”

She said “they should taste like yours do, that’s why I married you”
To which I responded “I’m not sharing”
and then she said “I’m not helping you troll... Not even 911 nuts or whoever.”

I tried for you @911 Crazy.
Anyway let us know. bonus points for video.

Now I got bulge nuts and won’t have to worry about swollen nuts.

So... you’ve had a lug nut transplant. Any soreness? :eek: