Lug nut choice - Gorilla, McGard, something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flgator

Reaction score
Have a set of mcgard black lug nuts for sale if you want them. I bought the wrong ones for the stock rims. Needed the bulge cone and mistakenly purchased the longer skinnier ones that are better for aftermarket wheels. Only had them on for a week and have minor tooling marks on the side that can’t be seen once installed. Can send pics if interested.

Raptor50

Reaction score
I was looking for the shortest lug nuts I could find, one case where smaller is better. Despite all the positive reviews on Mcgards I went with Gorilla since they offer the shortest lug nuts I could find. Gorilla 61147, 1.4" tall. Wish someone made lug nuts in a gunmetal color!

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think anything but the factory ones you can’t go wrong. I swapped into gorilla on day two.

@911 Crazy add a lug but swap to your list when you get your truck. Factory ones aren’t the best.

What size do I look for? And does it matter if they are locking or not?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You should definitely see how the nuts feel in your hand, as they may be too big for your hands. Of course, if you want to be certain you have the correct nuts, you’re going to have to see how they taste.

Let us know which nuts you chose, and why !
No judgment.

;)

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score

OEM wheels take different nuts than most aftermarket wheels. OEM is "Bulge" style, aftermarket I think are called "Conical seat". I didn't get any locking nuts when I bought my McGards, I think if someone really wants the wheels, locking lugs won't stop them.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OEM wheels take different nuts than most aftermarket wheels. OEM is "Bulge" style, aftermarket I think are called "Conical seat". I didn't get any locking nuts when I bought my McGards, I think if someone really wants the wheels, locking lugs won't stop them.

Yes, I’m not a fan of lock nuts. Total pain if you lose the key or strip the nut.

I got a set of McGard bulge nuts en route and I figure they have a bit more land making contact with the some seat on the rim. Something to consider with 146lbft on the lug nut.

Hoping the Ford nuts aren’t swollen and come off easy.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Yes, I’m not a fan of lock nuts. Total pain if you lose the key or strip the nut.

I got a set of McGard bulge nuts en route and I figure they have a bit more land making contact with the some seat on the rim. Something to consider with 146lbft on the lug nut.

Hoping the Ford nuts aren’t swollen and come off easy.

I don't know for sure but I'd bet Ford would want to keep his nuts whether they're swollen or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmanuelrmz