Lug nut choice - Gorilla, McGard, something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mariners Fan

Mariners Fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for your input. I'm buying my wheels from @OffroadAlliance.com and they said they'd throw in a set on nice lug nuts gratis or they had a really nice set of Gorillas for $95.
I'd chatted with @Oldfart a while back and he recommended McGards (cannot BELIEVE he hasn't chimed in here). I was typing the OP and thinking he'd be all over it....

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Gorilla Black Spline lugs on my aftermarket wheels, as well. They work great and I have not had any issues in two years with several tire rotations done in my garage.

Raptor50

Reaction score
I'm also looking for lug nuts to go with my new Velgen wheels. Anyone have photos of their nuts, preferably on gray wheels? thanks

Troutrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread a while back discussing lug nuts. Consensus from that thread was definitely get rid of the stocks.

A few folks have had a couple issues with the Gorilla’s which basically came in a close 2nd. One member mentioned one of his Gorillas cracking, and another had a minor issue but I can’t recall what it was.

McGards were a little more expensive but considered the number 1 pick with no problems and many members using them without any adverse issue.

Last I checked, Summit Racing had the best price on McGards.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a thread a while back discussing lug nuts. Consensus from that thread was definitely get rid of the stocks.

A few folks have had a couple issues with the Gorilla’s which basically came in a close 2nd. One member mentioned one of his Gorillas cracking, and another had a minor issue but I can’t recall what it was.

McGards were a little more expensive but considered the number 1 pick with no problems and many members using them without any adverse issue.

Last I checked, Summit Racing had the best price on McGards.
One of the other issues I remember readIng about was that Gorilla owners reported rusting after just one year of use.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
One member mentioned one of his Gorillas cracking, and another had a minor issue but I can’t recall what it was.

Ok, I know we’re going to draw out @Oldfart with this but, wasn’t the guy with the cracked gorilla nuts also campaigning some stripped wheel studs too, courtesy of some shop monkeys using an impact gun on his truck?

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You guys are JUST RUDE!! I can't help that I have to tuck my nuts in my socks so I don't step on them! Busy week going here. Here's that ********* nuts thread from a while ago. There was definitely a consensus that some guys had issues with Gorilla nuts, (I always found them to be smelly anyway!), but nobody really had issues with the McGuard.

https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/black-lug-nuts.68273/