Low Oil Pressure Warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xristian

Reaction score
I bought a 2017 Raptor and after 4 months I got the Low Oil Pressure Warning. The dealer took more than a month to fix it. Couple days after I got my truck back, the same warning appeared. I took my truck but and after two weeks of "fighting", they agreed to change the engine. I bought the extended warranty when I bought my truck so it was great yo use it. They were pushing back saying it is not cover by the warranty. I had to write emails to everybody in the dealer, send 1,000 of texts to directors and managers. I was losing hope when I got the message saying the extended warranty will pay for it. Now, they put a new engine but they don't want to tell me the year of the engine. They are saying that Ford send them the new engine but they "only" know that is is brand new. Is it normal that the dealer doesn't know whta engine they installed in my truck?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

What was the diagnosis on the repeat oil warning indicator? in other words, what was causing it?
Were there any aftermarket modifications?
did you buy it new or used?
Was the extended warranty a Ford ESP or an aftermarket warranty?

Aftermarket warranties are generally scams IMO. They’re basically run like an insurance claim. small things, they green light without thinking of it but big repairs are almost universally denied coverage at first, then they attempt to wait you out, nickel and dime you and otherwise try to weasel out of their agreement to pay up. Ford ESP is generally much, much better to work with.

There is only 1 engine spec’d for the Raptor, so it does not make sense that they don’t know what engine they’re putting in.

quikag

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help on your other comments, but I found out early to check the oil every few thousand miles as I got a low engine oil pressure light at 6,000 miles and it was a few quarts low on oil. I didn't think I needed to check oil on a brand new truck, but most of these ecoboost engines (especially the HO) can consume oil.

I now consume roughly a quart to a quart and a half every 10,000 miles and I'm okay with that. Got 37k miles now on my '19.

OP
OP
X

Xristian

Reaction score
@smurfslayer I got the extended warranty from AutoNation Ford, the dealer where I bought my car. I bought it last year. They can't tell me if the engine is a 2017 engine or '91, '20 '21..... I will never buy anything from them. It was very painful to work with them. First they replaced the valve cover and gaskets . They said it is normal for a Raptor to have that issue because it consume a lot of oil. Later, they said that the next step was to change the engine. The mechanic told me to do the oil change every 3,000 miles because this engine consume a lot of oil.

Attachments

• 2017 Raptor Engine.MOV
    1 MB

smurfslayer

Reaction score
It is not ‘normal’ for the ’17 Raptor engine to consume vast quantities of oil. I believe the ’18(?) MY had a TSB for the valve cover replacement. That video looks to have some pretty bad scoring, which doesn’t bode well for the rest of the engine. While the turbocharged engines can consume some oil, it’s not a lot. You don’t see users on here regularly complaining of oil usage over the life of the truck. Trust me, if that was a thing, this forum would be full of complaining about it.

I am not trying to be difficult ( I can hear the groans from the audience ) but to drill down on the warranty, you bought it at Autonation, but is it the Ford ESP or some other warranty? Some dealers sell lower cost alternatives.

While you should check the oil regularly - that is in the owner’s manual in black and white, you do not need to change oil every 3k miles. OTOH, @FortTechOne has been trying to convince folks to NOT take the truck to 10k miles between changes as the Raptor’s Ecoboost demands a lot of the motor oil, and --requires-- semi-synthetic or synthetic oil to be used. He makes a compelling case to change oil on the shorter schedule, about 5k miles. It’s not going to hurt you to change oil more frequently other than to cost you some more money, but I’ve been having blackstone analyze my oil changes since new and they’re not reporting back bad stuff. FWIW, I’ve done one interval up to 7k miles and that was it, now I’m well under that at around 5k miles

As far as the engine - that’s going to depend on the warranty company. If it is actually a Ford ESP, you’ll get a Ford short block or long block. If you have a warranty other than Ford, they may try to source a junk yard motor, eBay purchase or remanufactured engine if the terms allow them to do so. While I’m sure companies like Jasper make good stuff, on a vehicle this new, I would want a Ford replacement and accept nothing else.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@smurfslayer I got the extended warranty from AutoNation Ford, the dealer where I bought my car. I bought it last year. They can't tell me if the engine is a 2017 engine or '91, '20 '21..... I will never buy anything from them. It was very painful to work with them. First they replaced the valve cover and gaskets . They said it is normal for a Raptor to have that issue because it consume a lot of oil. Later, they said that the next step was to change the engine. The mechanic told me to do the oil change every 3,000 miles because this engine consume a lot of oil.
It is not normal for these engines to consume any more than 1 quart in 3,000 miles. 2017 to early 2019 models had a TSB for oil consumption; some valve covers, which contain the PCV system, were allowing excessive oil to enter the intake system. The TSB includes updated valve covers to correct the issue. Sounds like they did the TSB but the engine already sustained damage.

Dealers order parts, including engines, by VIN. Which means you get either a new or remanufactured long block that is specific to your vehicle. The fact that they don’t know anything about the engine leads me to believe it’s a used engine. What is the warranty company? Ford ESP/Protect do not install used parts.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt anybody would install a used engine, omg, that would be a F'n scam if I ever heard of it. Check the VIN on the engine and ask another dealer for the specs on it.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I highly doubt anybody would install a used engine, omg, that would be a F'n scam if I ever heard of it. Check the VIN on the engine and ask another dealer for the specs on it.

Oh yes they will. if the warranty company can locate a less mileage motor pulled from a junker, they will most certainly try to use it. Fortunately for us, the HO 3.5 isn’t as voluminous, so easy to find the standard 3.5TT, not as easy to locate a low miles used one. If that doesn’t work they go to an aftermarket remanufacture like Jasper.

But all that assumes you have the stomach to fight a 3rd party warranty provider, like say... someone you would be in better than average hands with or some company that might have animals prominently featured in their commercials, or fer’n accents used to pitch the service. These companies have a threshold of cost which they will allow for uncontested repairs, and it’s typically pretty low. Anything above that threshold is held pending denial. They then slow walk their “adjuster” out to evaluate the vehicle and failure. He reports back on the problem who then “evaluate” the claim which can take a day, a few weeks or a month depending on how much they want to fight you. Then they deny it if there’s any grounds - you missed a receipt indicating you may have not checked the brakes at one service interval, never mind that has nothing to do with the motor failure... You get to argue with their level 2 adjusters next, who will work with you, “out of the kindness of their hearts, even though your case should be denied”. Then they offer to pay a token amount, out of “customer goodwill”. When you’re done with this crew, the next team are more serious about negotiating. It helps to have a lawyer call for you at this stage. Some companies offer legal plans that cover all manner of things, like insurance issues. This makes life a little enjoyable actually. Have the lawyer conference you in for a fun listen.
During this call, the lawyer will likely set a firm deadline for a response, with the promise of legal action for breach of contract if the deadline is missed.

I know others on here have had some positive experiences. Good for them and I’m glad they did. I’ve not had that experience and those personally known to me who have also gone the aftermarket warranty route, all of them, had similar stories for expensive repairs. YMMV.

And think about this, the mechanic isn’t working on only your car/truck, he’s got other things going on to pay the bills. if your drama starts sucking up his time, and not making him any money, how motivated do you think he’ll be to walk your warranty adjuster through the problem for a 2nd or 3rd time?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh yes they will. if the warranty company can locate a less mileage motor pulled from a junker, they will most certainly try to use it. Fortunately for us, the HO 3.5 isn’t as voluminous, so easy to find the standard 3.5TT, not as easy to locate a low miles used one. If that doesn’t work they go to an aftermarket remanufacture like Jasper.

But all that assumes you have the stomach to fight a 3rd party warranty provider, like say... someone you would be in better than average hands with or some company that might have animals prominently featured in their commercials, or fer’n accents used to pitch the service. These companies have a threshold of cost which they will allow for uncontested repairs, and it’s typically pretty low. Anything above that threshold is held pending denial. They then slow walk their “adjuster” out to evaluate the vehicle and failure. He reports back on the problem who then “evaluate” the claim which can take a day, a few weeks or a month depending on how much they want to fight you. Then they deny it if there’s any grounds - you missed a receipt indicating you may have not checked the brakes at one service interval, never mind that has nothing to do with the motor failure... You get to argue with their level 2 adjusters next, who will work with you, “out of the kindness of their hearts, even though your case should be denied”. Then they offer to pay a token amount, out of “customer goodwill”. When you’re done with this crew, the next team are more serious about negotiating. It helps to have a lawyer call for you at this stage. Some companies offer legal plans that cover all manner of things, like insurance issues. This makes life a little enjoyable actually. Have the lawyer conference you in for a fun listen.
During this call, the lawyer will likely set a firm deadline for a response, with the promise of legal action for breach of contract if the deadline is missed.

I know others on here have had some positive experiences. Good for them and I’m glad they did. I’ve not had that experience and those personally known to me who have also gone the aftermarket warranty route, all of them, had similar stories for expensive repairs. YMMV.

And think about this, the mechanic isn’t working on only your car/truck, he’s got other things going on to pay the bills. if your drama starts sucking up his time, and not making him any money, how motivated do you think he’ll be to walk your warranty adjuster through the problem for a 2nd or 3rd time?
UMM, he got his extended warranty from a Ford Dealer, lets not assume he got a used motor until the OP states it. I think the OP's concern is probably more to do with a cam phaser updated motor rather than if he got a modded motor out of a Pinto, lol. For the record, up here in no mans land, the insurance company has to state what part they are purchasing before it ever gets ordered, not sure what kind of voodoo you guys have going on down there, ha ha.

OP
OP
X

Xristian

Reaction score
AutoNation Ford Dealer told me that the engine was send directly from Ford. They are a Ford dealer so I don't believe they will give me a engine from a junk place. According to them, it took them weeks for Ford to approve the engine replacement. They showed me the pics when they open the box and all the installation process. The mechanic shared the photos and videos. My problem is that they didn't give me the year of the engine. According to the mechanic it is the 2020-2021 engine but he couldn't be 100% sure. Should I call directly to Ford? I got a letter from Ford saying to update the PCM (program 21N08) for free. I believe you guys should got the same letter.

Attachments

• New engine1.jpeg
    New engine1.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 29
  • New engine.jpeg
    New engine.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 29
  • New engine.MOV
    561.7 KB