GEN 2 Loud scraping noise from front undercarriage upon acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 Raptor with 7,500 miles. For the past 2 days, I've been getting an intermittent loud, harsh scraping noise seemingly coming from the front, possibly the engine bay or undercarriage upon acceleration. Does not sound like a rattle, and immediately stops when not accelerating. This noise goes away on its own after about 1 minute, then subsequent acceleration does not produce it.

I took the truck to the dealership service, and they had it on lift and revved the engine, but could not reproduce it.

I've read the descriptions of the heat shield rubbing the catalytic converter, and told the service advisor this, but like I said, they think it's ok. Also, this noise is more of a scraping noise, rather than rattle.

This sucks because I just had a bad APIM unit replaced, and 1 day later this happened.

You guys have any suggestions?

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same noise the other day when 'reversing in 4WD' up a hill. Definitely a scraping metal sound. Haven't heard it since and it stopped when I left off the accelerator. ????

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not an expert.... check iwe hose on front hubs. Just a thought.

OP
OP
TxRap

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read more on IWE system after you guys point me in that direction, and I think that's my issue. I'll try to engage 4A next time it happens. I'll also go to another dealer service tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing for almost a year on my 2017 Raptor. Was afraid that since I had some upgrades I broke something. I finally took it in and it was simply the IWE went bad. They fixed it in one day and I got it back. Never heard the noise again.

edouglas30

Reaction score
I had the same thing for almost a year on my 2017 Raptor. Was afraid that since I had some upgrades I broke something. I finally took it in and it was simply the IWE went bad. They fixed it in one day and I got it back. Never heard the noise again.
Same exact thing on my 17. Sounded awful

OP
OP
TxRap

TxRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Hoping to get it fixed this week. It's been somewhat of a downer for me, 2 issues in a row with the Raptor.

RAPTOR818

Reaction score
2018 Raptor with 7,500 miles. For the past 2 days, I've been getting an intermittent loud, harsh scraping noise seemingly coming from the front, possibly the engine bay or undercarriage upon acceleration. Does not sound like a rattle, and immediately stops when not accelerating. This noise goes away on its own after about 1 minute, then subsequent acceleration does not produce it.

I took the truck to the dealership service, and they had it on lift and revved the engine, but could not reproduce it.

I've read the descriptions of the heat shield rubbing the catalytic converter, and told the service advisor this, but like I said, they think it's ok. Also, this noise is more of a scraping noise, rather than rattle.

This sucks because I just had a bad APIM unit replaced, and 1 day later this happened.

You guys have any suggestions?

RAPTOR818

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Raptor I've been hearing that noise on my truck like if something is in my bed and hits the wall been ignoring it for maybe about 7 months but today I herd it loud like a tire exploded , and it does usually happen when I finish pumping gas. Have you found out what it is?