Loud popping noise rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RayTech

Reaction score
Hello was out at the sand dunes the other day and I was in 4wh with locker locked. While climbing a dune I heard 2 loud bangs like something hitting the rear passenger floor board, heard it again while later (could feel it to). I put it in 2wh still locker locked and it did it again. Any one had the issue or know what I need to tell ford to look at? Or is this normal sometimes?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IWEs are basically the mechanism that allows your front hubs to engage so that the front wheels now become 4wd.

When the IWEs fail, the can make a loud popping noise.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When they skip and catch it is can make a loud noise in the transfer case as well. This can be felt in the floor of the truck at times.

If it was your rear end, you'd have issues all the time.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agree with Yukon. If you felt it in the floor its the transfer case. Not the rear end. Could be IWE's or just transfer case itself.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my first Raptor. I had bent the t case cross member a little and when the conditions were just right the driveshaft would push the t case into the floor board. Sounded like someone hitting the bottom of the cab with a hammer. I never did anything to fix it, and the truck is still running fine.