Lot of hate from the Tundra forums!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

signalbobby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't hate the Tundra or the owners, I do hate that Toyota tries to claim that it is an American truck just because final assembly is in San Antonio.
Over 90% of the parts are sourced from the US IIRC last time i saw the sticker. interwebs show 70-75%.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually don't hate Toyota trucks, either, but if you're going to sling mud, then you have to be prepared to receive it, and there's definitely a lot of mud to be slung in that direction.

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over 90% of the parts are sourced from the US IIRC last time i saw the sticker. interwebs show 70-75%.
Facts (on almost any topic) are hard to come by in 2018, but in general every car sold here has between 30-70% "domestic product content". I've seen numbers saying higher and I've seen them lower, so who really knows. It gets even screwier when you find some figures include Canada/Mexico as North American (obviously they are) which really FUBARs the stats and figures.

All those people manufacturing and delivering components are a huge benefit, as are the ones in the factory doing the final assembly. I will not diminish the benefits of or how well deserved those jobs are, BMW and Honda "make" more cars in the USA than they do in Germany or Japan, but Ford makes many cars in Mexico. I get it.

Two things stick in my mind when I think about the whole "buy American" frame of mind. The big money and the pride.

Where are the highest tier jobs within the company? I'm talking executives, accountants, artists, and engineers? What exchange is the stok traded on? Plus there's the national prestige, when Toyota wins at LeMans or Daytona (which they do), who should feel the pride, Texans or Japanese?

Like I said, I do not hate Toyotas or their owners, the Tacoma was on my "final three" list along with the Rebel. But I do have a long affinity for the blue oval.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc