Looking at new ‘23 but have question about exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cragland42

Reaction score
Hello all, I’m looking at a new 2023 raptor at a local dealership. I’ve test drove some used already and a 2021 had the exhaust rattle noise (I now know this is the valve spring issue and there is a fix). The new ‘23 also seems to have peculiar noise on startup. It goes away after idling down almost like the exhaust valves switch. Is this normal? It does not sound like a rattle but a raspier exhaust note? I don’t have a video of this particular truck but found a startup video online of a ‘23 that seems to do the same thing. At around 30 seconds you can hear the truck idle down and then after a few more seconds the exhaust sounds changes.

Wildcat1865

Reaction score
As long as I’ve owned mine this is how it starts up. Starts opened up and the once it warms up a bit it goes down to a normal idle. I believe there is a setting in the menu where you can default it to start up in quiet mode if you desire. I have never used this and kind of like the louder start up… I am sure someone else can confirm.

OP
OP
C

cragland42

Reaction score
As long as I’ve owned mine this is how it starts up. Starts opened up and the once it warms up a bit it goes down to a normal idle. I believe there is a setting in the menu where you can default it to start up in quiet mode if you desire. I have never used this and kind of like the louder start up… I am sure someone else can confirm.
Thanks. I knew higher idle was normal just wasn’t sure about the sound while idling high. It just sounds like valves suddenly shift after idling down. Didn’t want to purchase it with a fault out the gate.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I recall hearing some Gen 3s having an issue with the valve inside the exhaust. I wouldn't let warranty work deter my purchase if it had everything I wanted for options.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello all, I’m looking at a new 2023 raptor at a local dealership. I’ve test drove some used already and a 2021 had the exhaust rattle noise (I now know this is the valve spring issue and there is a fix). The new ‘23 also seems to have peculiar noise on startup. It goes away after idling down almost like the exhaust valves switch. Is this normal? It does not sound like a rattle but a raspier exhaust note? I don’t have a video of this particular truck but found a startup video online of a ‘23 that seems to do the same thing. At around 30 seconds you can hear the truck idle down and then after a few more seconds the exhaust sounds changes.

sounds like they changed the mode while idling..

Digipax

Reaction score
It's called Quiet Start, you set the times to reduce the noise.

Attachments

• Quiet start.jpg
    Quiet start.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 8