Looking at buying a used raptor - tips advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Looking at buying this 2017 , has 45k on it. Anything I should look for? It’s private party so I was thinking of having a ford dealer look it over prior but was wondering if there was anything I should keep an eye on. Since these trucks were built to be rode rough I am a little worried about prior owners trashing it and finding expensive gremlins later down road. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
4A91B79B-E06C-4D16-BCC3-30602333BDB4.jpeg

8B7EA4A2-CB4D-4AA2-8AB3-D695E50910C4.jpeg17295B97-499E-4F78-9790-C7E9BF820606.jpegB979480A-CE7E-4922-8F3A-1B06A2F4C7C4.jpeg

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh. Stay away. Suspension system will die in the future. Not designed to squat like that. Probably towed with it or off roaded it hard. Suspension system if very sensitive so that will not be an cheap replacement. Once a Ford engineer said about the shocks "I could buy half a V8 for that price (of the shocks)!" With a front end aftermarketed I would almost be 100 percent sure that it was off roaded.

If you are really set on it. Exam skid plates for dents or cracks, exam suspension system for any cracks, exam engine bay for any excessive dust, check exhaust tips for scratches, and plain ask the dealer if they knew if thus guy was an off-roader. Definitely have them lift it to check it out. Rock back and forth all around the car to look for any "waving" from dents or scratches. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Oh. Stay away. Suspension system will die in the future. Not designed to squat like that. Probably towed with it or off roaded it hard. Suspension system if very sensitive so that will not be an cheap replacement. Once a Ford engineer said about the shocks "I could buy half a V8 for that price (of the shocks)!" With a front end aftermarketed I would almost be 100 percent sure that it was off roaded.

If you are really set on it. Exam skid plates for dents or cracks, exam suspension system for any cracks, exam engine bay for any excessive dust, check exhaust tips for scratches, and plain ask the dealer if they knew if thus guy was an off-roader. Definitely have them lift it to check it out. Rock back and forth all around the car to look for any "waving" from dents or scratches. Hope this helps!
I really like the after market bumpers but yeah I was worried this guy ran it hard with that setup. Has 45k miles on it & they are asking 63k

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really like the after market bumpers but yeah I was worried this guy ran it hard with that setup. Has 45k miles on it & they are asking 63k
he is basically asking MSRP in 2017 for a truck with 45,000 miles, and maybe $5,000 in cosmetic upgrades. Another's have said...it needs $2-5,000 worth of shock maintenance

I am all for high resale value, but that is ridiculous. At best it is a $50,000 truck depending on location.

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
he is basically asking MSRP in 2017 for a truck with 45,000 miles, and maybe $5,000 in cosmetic upgrades. Another's have said...it needs $2-5,000 worth of shock maintenance

I am all for high resale value, but that is ridiculous. At best it is a $50,000 truck depending on location.
Here in Southern California

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Here in Southern California

Honestly the trx seems to be the best value for a super truck , you can find them if ordered for 10k under msrp from out of state dealers but I will have 43k for down payment and want no more than $450 payments as it won’t be my daily just a family truck and I want to get a 4000lb travel trailer or boat , having $1,000 payments would make that harder or not possible. Camburg has a nice 3.0 setup maybe would be worth the upgrade if I can talk down on price but if the shocks are worked it prob means they were mashing the pedal and that could be expensive motor repairs

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly the trx seems to be the best value for a super truck , you can find them if ordered for 10k under msrp from out of state dealers but I will have 43k for down payment and want no more than $450 payments as it won’t be my daily just a family truck and I want to get a 4000lb travel trailer or boat , having $1,000 payments would make that harder or not possible. Camburg has a nice 3.0 setup maybe would be worth the upgrade if I can talk down on price but if the shocks are worked it prob means they were mashing the pedal and that could be expensive motor repairs
The Ford Raptor is better in every way than a TRX. You think that Camburg knows better then Ford Performance?

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Way to expensive. If you have the patients wait for prices for autos to go down.
I was hoping to buy this year for tax advantage also interest rates but yeah I’m having a hard time paying msrp on a 5 year old truck. I had my f250 stolen a year ago and only have plumbing vans to drive & wanting a personal truck to take my family places, we only have 1 personal vehicle for wife & I + 3 kids