Looking at buying a used raptor - tips advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You pay for what you get for.
Are you insinuating that OEM fox shocks that came on the raptor are higher quality than the 3.0 race series or factory series or whatever fox calls them?

I’m not saying that they would be better , or wouldn’t for that matter, for the OP’s use case either.

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Are you insinuating that OEM fox shocks that came on the raptor are higher quality than the 3.0 race series or factory series or whatever fox calls them?

I’m not saying that they would be better , or wouldn’t for that matter, for the OP’s use case either.
I was just wonder what additional costs might be if I bought used truck , It seems like all the used Raptors for sale are overpriced and our trucks that people bought four or five years ago, drove the shit out of them, and now are trying to sell them for the same price they paid for them brand new. I might have to just wait and see if I can find a dealer somewhere that will sell me at or slightly below MSRP and custom order it and wait once the new order books open

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now I didn't say that. I meant that OEM shocks are better on a truck that was specifically designed around them. Now if your building a trophy truck from the ground up that is different.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Without regard to price, I do not think that truck looks like it has ever been offroad. I would hazard to say that with the tire sidewalls looking smooth as new and riding on 20's, it probably hasn't been. Bumpers are like earings for street trucks, no red flags.

My '18 is a road warrior, been offroad a few times, couple scrapes here and there on skid plates. 102k miles and the original shocks are still fine, no hard hits, leaks or weird bouncing. Still rides like a cloud of tltties like the day I bought it. Again though it stays on the road 99 percent of the time. The shocks can be rebuilt.

No idea what the comment "the suspension will die in the future" even means. The rear springs do sag after a while. Mine sags cause I carry shit in the back on a daily basis. I like the look. lol. It rides great.

On the price, I would think $58k'ish would be more realistic. But if you like the aftermarket stuff you could pay more.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now I didn't say that. I meant that OEM shocks are better on a truck that was specifically designed around them. Now if your building a trophy truck from the ground up that is different.
I know you didn’t say that, but saying you get what you pay for indicated that the oem shocks are expensive but worth it. In all fairness when I bought replacement oem’s for my truck (gen 1) they were $350 a piece. I know gen 2 has 3.0’s but I can’t imagine they are that much more from say rock auto. To get raptor replacement shocks ,fox or king, you are looking at ~5X that. Meaning if you plan to stay stock, new ones aren’t that expensive.

In regards to rebuilding, with the prices that rebuilds go for I would strongly consider oem replacements from rock auto or other. Then learn to rebuild your own shocks and rebuild the originals to pop in there later if needed.

I wouldn’t use raptor specific (upgrade) shocks on a trophy truck either lol. That is what was referred to earlier with the camburg kit. I have not personally ridden in a truck with that kit, but it seems pretty good, especially with the slapper bumps.There are many levels between stock and trophy truck. My truck is/will be better than a stock one in the dirt, but it certainly isnt a trophy truck. Also subjective, but I would barely consider it “built”. So perspective in this case matters a lot.

As far as the OP off-roading the truck, if there aren’t any plans to do so or it is mild/moderate, I would agree with you to stick to factory shocks. If the plan is to go out a little harder I would learn the truck then consider going bigger, but that is me.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
I wouldn't be scared of rebuilding shocks. As most have said, there are tons of shops in So Cal that can rebuild them or if you plan on off-roading then upgrade to Kings or Fox 3.0's. If I were in your situation I would find a ****** truck from someone who used it as a daily driver and no mods. Those are the ones that likely never saw anything but a dirt road if that. I'm not a fan of aftermarket bumpers of any kind, but your biggest concern should be getting a warranty on the trans/engine. Some have failed and let's not even start with the dreaded cam phasers.

Lane2018

Southern Raptor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To your original question. My 2018 has 45k and has been an excellent truck. It has had the cam phasers, and rear carrier bearing replaced. They were covered under warranty, but could be pricey if paid for out of pocket. No issues other than those. It’s a street queen that I tow with regularly and I’ve had no sagging issues.I know from reading this blog that some have had issues with sunroof, shocks, and door/tailgate actuators. But I have not experienced any of those issues and I can only speak to my own experiences… A pre purchase check by Ford service will let you know if any warranty work has been done. Overall it looks like a nice truck, but cover your bases. And as far as the price, most Gen 2’s I see are $55k-$65k. Good Luck

Last edited:

USMC-0351

Reaction score
I was just wonder what additional costs might be if I bought used truck , It seems like all the used Raptors for sale are overpriced and our trucks that people bought four or five years ago, drove the shit out of them, and now are trying to sell them for the same price they paid for them brand new. I might have to just wait and see if I can find a dealer somewhere that will sell me at or slightly below MSRP and custom order it and wait once the new order books open
I bought a 2017 802a completely stock 1 owner no accidents with 33k miles for 61k earlier this year, window sticker shows $68,435. According to the bureau of labor and statistics website, in todays dollar with inflation that is $82,372.59 from 2017 to today.

So people can say “that’s a crazy price I’m not paying what that truck almost cost new!” All day if they want. But it’s not what it costs new. I’m not saying to buy it or don’t buy it but I wanted you to have a clear picture on what has happened to our money.

Anyway I took mine into ford they did cam phasers, oil & filter, replaced door locks, and brake booster & brake master cylinder for free under recall work. I didn’t have any other issues truck is great.

I ordered brand new raptor for Kalispell Ford in Montana as well. No dealer markup, just MSRP + $295 processing fee.

Good luck with your truck search!