Looking at buying a used raptor - tips advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Looking at buying this 2017 , has 45k on it. Anything I should look for? It’s private party so I was thinking of having a ford dealer look it over prior but was wondering if there was anything I should keep an eye on. Since these trucks were built to be rode rough I am a little worried about prior owners trashing it and finding expensive gremlins later down road. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
View attachment 361897

View attachment 361898View attachment 361899View attachment 361900

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exam skid plates for dents or cracks, exam suspension system for any cracks, exam engine bay for any excessive dust, check exhaust tips for scratches, and plain ask the dealer if they knew if thus guy was an off-roader. Definitely have them lift it to check it out. Rock back and forth all around the car to look for any "waving" from dents or scratches. Hope this helps!

BWorkman

Reaction score
Ask if he’s had the shocks rebuilt. My guess would be no, so know that you’re going to have to spend roughly $1k to get them rebuilt. Factor that into the price when negotiating. Check electrical things such as the sunroof operation as well. Mine had a bad track system and had to be replaced. Luckily I had just bought mine from a dealership and they replaced it under warranty. But if not, it would have been pretty pricey to replace.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pop the hood and check for aftermarket parts. ( airbox, catch can, air cooler, blow off valve, turbos, etc. ) Then crawl under the truck on your back, and look to see if exhaust system is all stock along with suspension and any visible damage underneath. Check OBD2 for tuner. Bring a code reader and check for codes.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask to see maintenance records. Oil change intervals, filters (oil, intake, cabin), etc. How old are the tires and how much tread is left?

How many after market parts and tunes are on the truck? These can void warranties.

Is it lifted? Do the original parts come with the vehicle? Was the work done by a shop? Receipts?

Check the quality of the wiring on the aftermarket lights, look especially for “Scotchlock” splices/taps. Scotchlocks fail over time.

It’s common for after market backup lights to be spliced into the tail lights with Scotchlock type taps. Once again check the connections for quality work.

Crawl underneath to look at the aftermarket wiring from battery to backup lights, same with front lights.

If upfitter switches and pass through wires have been used, check the wiring connections. You want to see good quality crimp or solder connections, not the Scotchlocks.

If you see Weatherpak or Deutsch connectors, as well as relays for the lights, that is a good sign.

Ask if the plastic oil pan or the gasket have been replaced. If they haven’t been replaced and there are no leaks, it’s likely good to go. FYI, I’ve got a 2018 with the plastic pan. And zero issues at 70k miles.

If there are wheel locks, is the key in the truck?

That’s not very many miles for a 2017. The truck looks great:)

Best of luck!