Looking at a 2010 Ford Raptor SVT with under 100k miles.. how expensive to maintain them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I am about to trade in my honda for a 2010 Ford Raptor SVT 5.4L V8 and its got right under 100k miles. I am still in professional healthcare school and I will save money with the raptor on my payment actually (until I graduate since the honda will be paid off in 3 years). How expensive is it to maintain? I love them and am a first time buyer. I got a great deal and would love to buy a first gen and hold onto it. Any feedback on them or the maintenance would be greatly appreciated.

I am trading in a ridgeline, so I can finally get a real truck and a raptor too

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would try to find one with a 6.2, but the 5.4 isnt terrible either.
At 100k i would assume you would need to change most of the fluids and plugs as a precaution, check the shocks to see if theyre leaking or worn out, rust etc, i assume youve already checked on this, just wanted to make sure.

As far as maintenance, not much outside of normal truck stuff, it really depends on the condition of the truck. The 5.4 should chug on for a while, same with the 6r80 if they were moderately taken care of. Would def check if the IWEs make any noise while driving, seems to kick around that mileage, can search on here to test for vacuum leaks. Wheel bearings may need replacing around that mileage.

Quite honestly, not sure if a high mileage off road pickup is wise to trade for, but if it was taken care of it should serve you well. (I did the same, didnt regret it per say, but the honeymoon ends very fast with issues)

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Not sure about the 5.4L but the 6.2L is generally very reliable with normal maintenance. I would also suggest waiting for one with the latter. Shocks will run from $700 to $1500 depending on whether you go rebuild or replacement. @Space Ghost hit on it but I would emphasize that you should try to find a truck that is rust free and do your best to keep it that way. Lots of good info on that topic here on the forum. Good luck with whatever you decide!

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it was a 6.2 , I would say,grab it and don't look back. Not a fan of the 5.4. I had a lot of problems with a 2007 f-150 . Plugs breaking, Cam phaser a bunch more well under 100,000 miles. Have it checked out.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it was a 6.2 , I would say,grab it and don't look back. Not a fan of the 5.4. I had a lot of problems with a 2007 f-150 . Plugs breaking, Cam phaser a bunch more well under 100,000 miles. Have it checked out.
The 5.4 3V received redesigned cylinder heads in 2008, which resolved the issues the earlier models had with broken spark plugs and VCT noise. The spark plugs were changed to a 1-piece design with extended threads instead of an separate electrode shell.

As long as the engine was maintained, OP shouldn’t have to worry about it. Two of the biggest issues, worn timing components and cam journal wear, are directly attributed to poor maintenance/low oil.

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
I have no experience between the 5.4 vs. the 6.2. Besides whats on paper, HP, gas mileage, etc, what is the issue with getting a 5.4? Is it less reliable? This 5.4 was a pavement pounder, a guys second car with 98k miles over 12 years. Its clean with no rust. I have a good deal on it, sub $400 a month payment. I was planning on getting some used fox shocks to be able to rotate them out when the other is getting repaired but besides that I thought the 5.4 is solid. If you guys think its better to wait for a deal on a 6.2, for sure let me know. I don't want to make a big mistake.

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
Bascially its a price issue. Its the only one in the midwest with sub 100k miles thats in my budget of 23k or less right now without any damage

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have no experience between the 5.4 vs. the 6.2. Besides whats on paper, HP, gas mileage, etc, what is the issue with getting a 5.4? Is it less reliable? This 5.4 was a pavement pounder, a guys second car with 98k miles over 12 years. Its clean with no rust. I have a good deal on it, sub $400 a month payment. I was planning on getting some used fox shocks to be able to rotate them out when the other is getting repaired but besides that I thought the 5.4 is solid. If you guys think its better to wait for a deal on a 6.2, for sure let me know. I don't want to make a big mistake.
Sub 400 a month but how
Long is the payment schedule?
You def dont want to be paying 400 a month on a 150k mile vehicle. How are the tires? Diff fluid? Trans fluid? Shifts smooth? Tcase fluid? Does 4 wheel drive work? Power steering fluid? Is the coolant fresh? Any leaks? Any codes? How new are brakes? Does the oil smell like fuel? Has any pf the body panels been re painted? Are their gaps in the body work? Have the plugs been changed? injectors? Hubs? Does the a/c blow ice cold? Any signs of a/c leak? Is the break petal rubber worn? Were they highway miles? Lots of bugs in the radiator? Battery?

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
Sub 400 a month but how
Long is the payment schedule?
You def dont want to be paying 400 a month on a 150k mile vehicle. How are the tires? Diff fluid? Trans fluid? Shifts smooth? Tcase fluid? Does 4 wheel drive work? Power steering fluid? Is the coolant fresh? Any leaks? Any codes? How new are brakes? Does the oil smell like fuel? Has any pf the body panels been re painted? Are their gaps in the body work? Have the plugs been changed? injectors? Hubs? Does the a/c blow ice cold? Any signs of a/c leak? Is the break petal rubber worn? Were they highway miles? Lots of bugs in the radiator? Battery?
I have a 75 month payment approved at a good rate (not pre-approved but actually approved through a lender) since I have a good credit rating and I have a lot down since I do not owe much on my honda ridgeline but its worth a lot right now. I haven't been able to check all of that out yet. I have to drive a bit to get it and I cannot check out everything until I am there in person, sales all claim its in mint condition and thats all changed out, but I have a 3rd party ford dealer checking it out before I buy it.

I could wait until I finish dental school but the Raptor urge is high and the ridgeline just does nothing for me. This raptor lowers my monthly and my insurance actually.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 75 month payment approved at a good rate (not pre-approved but actually approved through a lender) since I have a good credit rating and I have a lot down since I do not owe much on my honda ridgeline but its worth a lot right now. I haven't been able to check all of that out yet. I have to drive a bit to get it and I cannot check out everything until I am there in person, sales all claim its in mint condition and thats all changed out, but I have a 3rd party ford dealer checking it out before I buy it.

I could wait until I finish dental school but the Raptor urge is high and the ridgeline just does nothing for me. This raptor lowers my monthly and my insurance actually.
Yea it lowers your monthly but my man 74 months on a 100k mile truck is the worst deal you can make. Yr interest will be like 5k total. That truck will be worth nothing by the end of the term. Thats a shit deal. Dont do it.