LineX on Flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willis68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard that if you linex the inside they won't fit on properly. Also, the lineX guy who did my fender wells told me that if you only do the outside of the flare you will stand a chance of it peeling over time.

I was told the same in Nashville

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Looks good ! Now throw some on the flares too so I can see how that looks , hehe

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

I think for my bed I'll be doing the black Line-X , to tie it in with the inside panel of the tailgate which they do with that black immitation line-x plastic whatever.... If you have the stripper pole (which I do) Plus it'll tie in to the bed rail plastic... And some of the other plans I am thinkin about. (And cheaper). But I really thought long and hard, cuz those blue linex'd beds look really good.

I think yours works even better since you don't have the black tailgate panel.

But since you have some blue linex Willis, How do you think that same color/texture would look on the flares? And how close does it match the body paint?

I just worry about it standing out akwardly on the side of the truck... since they are completely different textures... (The linex with all the bumps) is going to catch a lot of weird lighting and cause a lot of highlights that the rest of the body won't.

I've seen some color matched flares on Hummers and other vehicles, and it's been kind of hit or miss in photos. Hard to say with lighting in a lot of pix.

I like that your photo includes a shaded area and a lit up area though... shows us how it looks in different conditions ;)

I was going to do the flares, I was told they will NOT warranty it and to expect it to peel very quickly as the LineX will only properly cure when it is applied to metal surfaces, so I would not do it

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Didn't do flares

For Netix and mprice.. did you have them Line-X the entire flare, meaning the inside edge as well?? I'm getting this done and thinking it through.. also need that info so I can discuss it with the techs in case they don't already understand how to do it.

Thanks,

~BGM

I just did the rear inner fender wells not the flares! I like the flares the way they are but not the painted rear inner well. The LineX looks awsume in the rear wells!

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I recall someone saying something about their LineX guy spraying the inner side with a thinner layer than the outer to account for those issues.

Sounds like theres a lot of mixed opinions on the subject though, which makes me more reluctant to dive into the LineX option.

But with the number of guys with linex'd flares... I've yet to hear of any of them regretting it so far. Must be able to fit the flares on with LineX somehow... I've seen enough photos of em on black trucks mostly.. A couple orange/white and one blue.
(all of the flares have been black LineX)

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll post up when mine begin to peal, chip, or otherwise become less than desirable.
Mine were done in early/mid October 2011.

Sounds good! But hopefully it doesn't come to that.

I wanna do somethin with mine sooner than later though.
Wasn't a fan of the factory grey plastic to begin with.

I'm even less of a fan of factory grey plastic with custom scratches.

svt83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a quote from linex for just under 1100 for bed, rear wells and flares. Doesn't that seem really high?

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had my flares done over a year and not one problem at all! Do the whole flare. Just have them not do the textured part in the inside of the flare. Mine doesn't have a fitment problem on the flare, but then again the only problem i have is at the bottom by the front door due to the little part that comes out. I also didn't have the best alignment when it was new so nothing different with Linex. As for the peeling part they said dont power wash the flare on the edges due to it could peel and would come off all in one piece like peeling shrimp. They can't warranty it due to the fact the stuff doesn't bond with plastic as well as metal. I was told due to the difference in expansion and flex the plastic has over metal. The Linex bonds very well with itself and thats why it will come off in one piece if there is a problem. Also, 50 bucks a flare if theres a problem and if it tares you just come in and they glue up the split or tare.

AngryBird

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got a quote from linex for just under 1100 for bed, rear wells and flares. Doesn't that seem really high?

Wow. Smiths Ultimate in Albuquerque is doing mine for $675. Not color matched. Thats the whole underbody in addition to the bed! He sprays the underbody 1/4 inch thick with self sealing sound absorbing material too.