Light wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did everyone use to connect the wires from the lights to the wires on the truck?

Right now I just used electrical tape but not happy with that.

I was thinking of those twist caps but wasnt sure how that would hold up in the elements.

gopher870

Reaction score
I've used a variety of crimped plugs and connections...some were the same used by BMW for their airbags (go ahead, say oooooooh) but in the end, after multiple failures, a soldering iron, solder, and heat shrink is the only thing that has held up. YMMV. Good luck.

View media item 15402

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did everyone use to connect the wires from the lights to the wires on the truck?

Right now I just used electrical tape but not happy with that.

I was thinking of those twist caps but wasnt sure how that would hold up in the elements.
those twist caps are for home electrical. dont use them in a vehicle. as far as tape..... you can use tape to cover the connection, but a good crimp tool with the proper connectors are best.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't use wire nuts, but if I had to for some reason, I'd get the gel-filled ones that you use outdoors and I'd tape or shrink wrap the wires together just below the nut. But if you use gel, the best gel to use is a mixture of tin and lead.

justcozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely use environmental butt splices. I still generally cover mine with heat shrink for a clean uniform look once they are sealed up. Also, if you aren't familiar with wiring, try to get a friend to show you how to do it properly.

I also commonly see people using undersized wire for the appliance or incorrect splicing methods and am surprised that I haven't seen more trucks catching on fire. If you are running lights beyond the factory wire harness lengths or making your own harness, you can google "wire size chart" to ensure you are using the correct size wire and circuit protection for your intended use. Something as simple as adding a 30 Amp light bar to a chase rack might need a larger wire than you think because your routing takes it further than the stock harness length. The link below should help to find some important info on that.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I solder and heat shrink. Below is a link to a cool connection that I use some times, especially if there is any chance of water getting in. It is a shrink wrap with a solder ring in the middle and plastic rings that will melt to bond to the wire plastic on each end. This is great for the elements. I then go back over it with a shrink wrap for good measure. It is bullet proof. When I am really bored or in an **** mood (easy Oldfart - not "in the mood for"), I sometimes will solder, put the solder ring shrink wrap, then cover with shrink wrap. WAY overkill, but I have no worries about the connection integrity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C3NBTJ9/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072PCQ2LW/?tag=fordraptorforum-20