Light Bar Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Memphis Ken

Reaction score
Hello - I had some rigid lights installed yesterday on my 2018 Raptor and think that they may have wired the rigid grille light bar (41612) to an aux switch that can not handle the load. I have zero electrical experience so am hoping someone on here can help me ensure I don't have a potential major issue on my hands. The light bar specs indicate total watts 138 and amp draw 9.86 (14,256 raw lumans) and the updated 2018 aux switch indicate that aux 4 is a 10A fuse. They used aux 1-3 for some rigid front bumper fog lights. Aux 1 and 2 are 15A fuses so am thinking that they need to switch them around. The lights all work but don't want a fire hazard on my hands or some other electrical problem popping up so would appreciate any insight. The place is closed today or I would just call them directly. Thanks!

MnFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know if they used relays to wire up the lights? If they did there should be no problem. Most relays should be 40amps on the normally closed (NC) side. The upfitter switch then isn’t providing power to the lights just to the relay to command open and close.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Memphis Ken

Memphis Ken

Reaction score
I don’t know if they used a relay but a good question for me to ask them when they open tomorrow. I appreciate the reply. I am going to just hold off using them until I know for sure.

saeuta

Reaction score
I don’t know if they used a relay but a good question for me to ask them when they open tomorrow. I appreciate the reply. I am going to just hold off using them until I know for sure.
I know it's way after but when that happened to me, my fuse kept burning out. It's fixed now

OP
OP
Memphis Ken

Memphis Ken

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. I called the shop yesterday and they said it should be fine on the 10A aux switch. If it does end up blowing a fuse or whatever, I will take it back for correction. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a fire hazard, especially with the earlier recall that involved a "potential" fire hazard in the seat belt area. thanks again.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anytime you are at 80% of a fuse rating, you should always use a bigger relay and fuse. you may be ok, but that close to a 10amp draw given the +/- 3% is never a good idea.

Spectragod

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
anytime you are at 80% of a fuse rating, you should always use a bigger relay and fuse. you may be ok, but that close to a 10amp draw given the +/- 3% is never a good idea.

^^^THIS^^^, I'd take it back and have them make it right BEFORE there is an issue, If your local to me, I can do it for you.

saeuta

Reaction score
^^^THIS^^^, I'd take it back and have them make it right BEFORE there is an issue, If your local to me, I can do it for you.
In the Gen 1s, it's pretty easy to switch those wires around. You could have the light bar going to switch 1 or 2 and the fog lights on 4