Life for original set of brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just had an oil/filter/tire/inspection service at 56k and the brake inspection checked “green” (plenty of life remaining). My Raptor is an all purpose daily driver (stop/go suburban commute with a mix of highway and city), family road trip vehicle, and mule.

I don’t recall ever replacing brake pads on any daily driver car/truck until well past 60k—which includes prior F150s, Land Cruisers/LXs. I believe my “record” is 125k on a ‘00 Land Cruiser which were still fine but thin.

Our family “toys” all have fewer than 30k miles—so obviously they are still on original pads.

Note: My wife’s brakes have always needed replacing far before mine. I’m sure if she daily drove my Raptor—I’d have replaced brake pads by 40k lol.
Really surprised to read that. I’ve owned three Rx350, all bought new, and the rotors on each one warped around 10k. Twice I had them replace them for free and it happened yet again. So much for legendary Toyota quality.

Reaction score
I had a 2016 King Ranch that finally got new brakes at 140,000. I couldn’t believe it. The ceramic pads last forever! When I traded it in at almost 200,000 miles, the 2nd set was in great shape. The rotors however, do still warp.

2ndFord

Reaction score
If a dealer told me they wanted to turn/replace rotors without replacing pads, I would ask for my keys and never return.

Rear brakes will go before fronts on these gen2
Yep, that's why I left.

Thanks for the input front vs. rear. But I still don't understand why at 50K the front rotors can be cut and the rears are trash thickness-wise. Apparently even if I had them addressed earlier they'd still be garbage? So rear rotors need to be REPLACED at 40K preventively, no meat left to cut?

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I left.

Thanks for the input front vs. rear. But I still don't understand why at 50K the front rotors can be cut and the rears are trash thickness-wise. Apparently even if I had them addressed earlier they'd still be garbage? So rear rotors need to be REPLACED at 40K preventively, no meat left to cut?
Brake wear is based on a bazillion driving variables, the only constant is that Ford designed the recent F150 to have the rears apply more pressure and wear faster.

I always replace rotors now, 30 years ago I could pull the drums or rotors and head down to the local auto parts store put them on the counter and for five bucks a corner they would cut them while I waited, those auto parts stores are long gone and the rotors now, they're all cheap Chinese steel net worth cutting in my opinion.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friends don't let friends get rotors "cut". There are white papers on this. If they are truly "warped" (which is rarely the case), they need to be replaced. However, pulsating brakes are usually from uneven pad transfer that can be knocked off with a wire wheel and a light touch. If the rotors are worn close to minimum thickness, I'd get one of the brake kits offered by vendors on this forum and swap them in the driveway. Or at the least if you are not able, take that kit to a reputable shop. Remember, the mass of the rotor is a part of the brake system used to dissipate heat. Lowering that mass is not best practice.

-former mechanic/sole proprietor-

Last edited:

Trailmaker

Off-road junky
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a search of "brake life" on the forum, nothing really popped up (I am skeptical this topic is new) so point to a thread on this if it exist...

I am at 74,900 miles - just had a check-up at my dealership. I always ask about the brakes, figure I have to be close to at least a new set of pads by now... but "nope", they are still good.

What range of miles for a fairly normally driven Gen 2 Raptor can I expect? Feel like I had to replace my last F150's a lot earlier.
Brakes made it to 89k for me. But I live in the country (not much city driving) and only hit the mountains twice a year but I down shift coming down the ski mountain. I’m 29k into my 2nd set of brakes.

EvosRaptor

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I was expecting to be told mine need replacing at the last couple of tire rotations and I’m told they are still in the green. 2018 with 52k, used for daily driving with more than half of that city driving in SE MI.

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My pads were down to the metal at 40K, but I do several offroad events a year too. I went with the Powerstop kit with rotors. The Alcon braking video definitely shows improvement over stock and are no they are doubt better than Powerstop, but not worth their additional $3-5K+ cost to me.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the Z36 kit on other platforms. I'm awaiting the brackets to install my Roush (Alcon) front rotors/6 piston calipers with Alcon pads all around. Around 30k I cooked the stock system with our 75-85 mph speed limits and short off ramps. There is pleanty pad left but it's glazed.