GEN 2 Leaked info on motor? 2017 Raptor 450hp/510lb.-ft of torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
You seem hung up on the numbers yet ignore the stated facts from ford. They've said this engine is only shared between the GT and Raptor....will the tunes, exhaust, intake, etc be different? Hell ya, will they be the same motor minus the external parts? I'm gonna go with what ford has said themselves and not call them liars

I am betting there is more than a tune difference to account for the Raptor 6000 RPM redline and the GT's 7000 redline.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they do share "engines" I would expect at least a few things to be different such as Turbo's, cams and tune. The cams at least have to be different. You aren't going to move a truck that weight AND be able to tow an 8,000 trailer with the GT cams.

When the 3.5 Eco was coming out in the truck Ford had a huge training and interactive course we went through. Back then the SHO and the F150 motors were completely different. We were told non of the parts were shared between those two motors. So building two separate motors for these applications wouldn't be out of the question. It will be interesting to find out how much if any is similar with the two

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seriously think a $400k supercar has the same motor as a $60k pickup? I think your foil hat is a little tight. I bet the most they have in common is the displacement. The last GT retailed at $120k and had a complete motor unique only to it.

It's all guessing and speculation until the part numbers become available.

Why not?

A $1.3mil Pagani uses the engine from a $200K Mercedes.
A $300K Noble uses the engine from a $50K Volvo.
A $1.2mil McLaren uses the engine from a $70k BMW.
A $100k Lotus uses the engine from a $30K Toyota.

Using the same engine doesn't mean they aren't built up and tuned differently.

Wrecker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not?

A $1.3mil Pagani uses the engine from a $200K Mercedes.
A $300K Noble uses the engine from a $50K Volvo.
A $1.2mil McLaren uses the engine from a $70k BMW.
A $100k Lotus uses the engine from a $30K Toyota.

Using the same engine doesn't mean they aren't built up and tuned differently.

And almost every single GM v8 since 1999 uses the same LS motor platform, from a Colorado mini truck to the ZL1 Corvette. Just cause it's the same motor doesn't mean that 90% of the parts on and in the motor aren't different though for each application.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's 0% chance the GT shares all hardware with the Raptor EB. The Raptors turbos are the same exhaust housing and turbine wheel as the standard F-150, and flowing minimum 30% more exhaust (600 vs 450 hp) is going to require a larger turbine side. Raptor turbos are only different on the compressor side.

The GT engine won't be designed for max power at 5000 rpm, so I would guess cam differences as well, and probably a larger turbo A/R to give it better top end breathing.

Less certain but still possible is a lower compression ratio via pistons. 10.0:1 doesn't mean you can't make 600 hp but I would bet they'll be closer to 9.5:1. The Nissan GT-R is 9.0:1 for comparison. Standard F150 is 10.5 and Raptor 10.0.

acg90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy with the numbers that were "leaked" but for whatever reason i'm still not confident that those will be the final numbers.

I'm thinking Ford intentionally leaked the numbers knowing it would get picked up by every truck/car enthusiast type of publication for loads of free and positive publicity. They're going to let that float around for a week or two and then Ford is going to Officially announce the numbers. Levine will probably say like "big Raptor news tomorrow" on Twitter the night before. BUT the numbers announced will be slightly higher than the leaked numbers. Which would then cause every single article previously written to update their articles, repost it on Facebook, causing more hype.

It just doesn't make sense how it could be leaked so easily with out an official Ford announcement immediately following the leak given the amount of build up Ford has created.

OP
OP
ZaneMasterX

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm happy with the numbers that were "leaked" but for whatever reason i'm still not confident that those will be the final numbers.

I'm thinking Ford intentionally leaked the numbers knowing it would get picked up by every truck/car enthusiast type of publication for loads of free and positive publicity. They're going to let that float around for a week or two and then Ford is going to Officially announce the numbers. Levine will probably say like "big Raptor news tomorrow" on Twitter the night before. BUT the numbers announced will be slightly higher than the leaked numbers. Which would then cause every single article previously written to update their articles, repost it on Facebook, causing more hype.

It just doesn't make sense how it could be leaked so easily with out an official Ford announcement immediately following the leak given the amount of build up Ford has created.

Your theory makes sense but the info was published to dealer websites not accessible to the public so it could have easily been a miscommunication between marketing, IT, and Ford higher ups.

All it takes is for the website builder/creator in IT to accidentally hit "publish" instead of "save draft".

Someone here did say they knew an insider who confirmed the numbers and specifically said Ford wasnt satisfied with 500tq and that they were going to push it slightly higher which was confirmed to be 510lb.-ft of tq.

If it was intentional Fords marketing department is very smart, if it wasnt its still good press. Win/Win for Ford.

Ill be shocked if the numbers do change for the "official release" which who knows when that will be. Rumor is media gets keys this month so it has to be soon.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Your theory makes sense but the info was published to dealer websites not accessible to the public so it could have easily been a miscommunication between marketing, IT, and Ford higher ups.

All it takes is for the website builder/creator in IT to accidentally hit "publish" instead of "save draft".

Someone here did say they knew an insider who confirmed the numbers and specifically said Ford wasnt satisfied with 500tq and that they were going to push it slightly higher which was confirmed to be 510lb.-ft of tq.

If it was intentional Fords marketing department is very smart, if it wasnt its still good press. Win/Win for Ford.

Ill be shocked if the numbers do change for the "official release" which who knows when that will be. Rumor is media gets keys this month so it has to be soon.

I tend to think you're correct with the internal miscommunication with Ford. Reason being when I followed the link to the Raptor page on our Esourcebook the main page still showed the info we've seen published all over the place.... the new motor will have more power than the outgoing 6.2 blah blah blah. Down main Raptor spec page it mentioned again about the Gen 2 3.5 EcoBoost High Output motor which was a clickable link. That's where I found the page with the HP and TQ listed. I'm thinking if they intentionally were going to leak it they wouldn't have put the info that deep in the document.

Either way I see it as a win win for Ford. It's created a huge buzz on the internet about it being "leaked" and if it is actual numbers of not. So the frenzy for accurate info continues

Wrecker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tend to think you're correct with the internal miscommunication with Ford. Reason being when I followed the link to the Raptor page on our Esourcebook the main page still showed the info we've seen published all over the place.... the new motor will have more power than the outgoing 6.2 blah blah blah. Down main Raptor spec page it mentioned again about the Gen 2 3.5 EcoBoost High Output motor which was a clickable link. That's where I found the page with the HP and TQ listed. I'm thinking if they intentionally were going to leak it they wouldn't have put the info that deep in the document.

Either way I see it as a win win for Ford. It's created a huge buzz on the internet about it being "leaked" and if it is actual numbers of not. So the frenzy for accurate info continues

I think nothing is "accidentally" leaked. All the hype is what gets everyone talking and posting and generating more potential profit for them. I do think that people inside ford are intentionally leaking info but trying to make it difficult to find just to entertain themselves and see how long it takes people to find it. I know that's how I'd go about it if it were me anyways. Lol

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Pretty certain if they were pulled, it was a mistake and those were the real numbers. They were right in line with expectations as well.