GEN 2 Leaked info on motor? 2017 Raptor 450hp/510lb.-ft of torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that is promising.

I guess my ?'s are this. I assume it will void some sort of warranty on the truck. Should I assume the engine?

Is there a way of removing and replacing the tune easily for warranty work on the truck?

Most tuners replace the stock programing with an altered tune. You can return the stock tune but it isn't undetectable. If they examine the data on the ECU they can see that the stock data was reflashed back to the ECU. A standard diagnostic tool used for most service work to read codes isn't going to uncover it, but it can be found if they go in depth. Unless there is a reason to look (like the example provided of a new engine failure or you have been bragging to the service manager about your HP increases, etc.), it shouldn't be an issue. Normal services won't raise any suspicion. I've had a tune on my 2002 Silverado 2500HD since it was a week old and have had service work done, including replacing faulty injectors under warranty without even removing the tune. That being said, there is always a risk. Under law, they can't void your warranty unless the tuner actually caused the problem, but it is on you to prove that it didn't cause the issue. This can be problematic and costly. A good relationship with you service manager is always a good idea.

StrikerHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most tuners replace the stock programing with an altered tune. You can return the stock tune but it isn't undetectable. If they examine the data on the ECU they can see that the stock data was reflashed back to the ECU. A standard diagnostic tool used for most service work to read codes isn't going to uncover it, but it can be found if they go in depth. Unless there is a reason to look (like the example provided of a new engine failure or you have been bragging to the service manager about your HP increases, etc.), it shouldn't be an issue. Normal services won't raise any suspicion. I've had a tune on my 2002 Silverado 2500HD since it was a week old and have had service work done, including replacing faulty injectors under warranty without even removing the tune. That being said, there is always a risk. Under law, they can't void your warranty unless the tuner actually caused the problem, but it is on you to prove that it didn't cause the issue. This can be problematic and costly. A good relationship with you service manager is always a good idea.

Amen to that brother.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well that is promising.

I guess my ?'s are this. I assume it will void some sort of warranty on the truck. Should I assume the engine?

Is there a way of removing and replacing the tune easily for warranty work on the truck?

If you tune the truck it can cause warranty issues depending on what happens. A tuner will not just void your warranty. Where the problem begins is if there is a component failure and Ford starts inquiring about modification to the vehicle. If you have a tuner on and say the transmission goes or transfer case breaks or differential goes out Ford can deny the claim based on the increased power from the tuner. So it's a touchy situation when you do power mods. A CAI or cat back exhaust or even hi flow cats don't usually cause a problem. But a down pipe or tuner can create issues for warranty claims.

As far as seeing if there was a tune in the vehicle, yes we can see that. The computers read data now a days and take freeze frame shots. It will show us mileage and date if the PCM was flashed, it will show us if the vehicle hit the speed limiter, if it was over revd and so on.

I was back in the shop with one of our techs a few months ago trying to figure out what happened to one of my customers new 2.0 Escapes that just died while driving. He was doing diagnostics with the scan tool and was showing me all of the freeze frame data. It pretty much leaves a paper trail that can't be erased in the PCM of what's been going on.

Last edited:

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you tune the truck it can cause warranty issues depending on what happens. A tuner will not just void your warranty. Where the problem begins is if there is a component failure and Ford starts inquiring about modification to the vehicle. If you have a tuner on and say the transmission goes or transfer case breaks or differential goes out Ford can deny the claim based on the increased power from the tuner. So it's a touchy situation when you do power mods. A CAI or cat back exhaust or even hi flow cats don't usually cause a problem. But a down pipe or tuner can create issues for warranty claims.

As far as seeing if there was a tune in the vehicle, yes we can see that. The computers read data now a days and take freeze frame shots. It will show us mileage and date if the PCM was flashed, it will show us if the vehicle hit the speed limiter, if it was over revd and so on.

I was back in the shop with one of our techs a few months ago trying to figure out what happened to one of my customers new 2.0 Escapes that just died while driving. He was doing diagnostics with the scan tool and was showing me all of the freeze frame data. It pretty much leaves a paper trail that can't be erased in the PCM of what's been going on.

Should I assume there is not easy on and off tune or chip for a raptor etc? With my Toyota it was three plugs. I could just unplug it and remove it. simple.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Should I assume there is not easy on and off tune or chip for a raptor etc? With my Toyota it was three plugs. I could just unplug it and remove it. simple.

I don't believe so. Back in the days of "superchips" you could just plug it in and it altered what the PCM did but didn't change the PCM programming. I believe everything today actually changes the PCM programming and then changes it back to stock when removed. I'm not positive on that though

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to refer to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Ford use to use NGS and STAR testers that were not as advanced, but at that time most PCM tuning upgrades did not rewrite the PCM tune either. With ever-evolving technology handheld tuners for stock PCMs are now able to rewrite that data. At the same time, Ford updated to IDS computer based software which can do a whole lot more, like Darin described.

Either way, if you find a competent tuner that actually knows what he/she is doing than you should not be worried. In fact, the vehicle should run and perform better than factory specs since they are more conservative with factory written tunes. The problem is always finding that. Only recently within the past 5-10 years have education facilities started evolving certifying tuners. Most do not get certified and even when they do, who says that particular certification process is up to par, after-all they are not mandated by law to a certain standard. Hence why there are so many "tooners" out there. Hope that helps with your concerns.

StrikerHawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a premonition that we will see hp/tq and emissions numbers by Monday Oct. 3rd at the latest

Did your premonition include my VIN number being assigned and scheduled a build date by chance ? Damn, I'm not going to make it much longer. Wait Club is KILLING ME <lol>.

yenrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your premonition include my VIN number being assigned and scheduled a build date by chance ? Damn, I'm not going to make it much longer. Wait Club is KILLING ME <lol>.

You said it, I'm waiting to hear back today (hoping for a VIN). I would also like to hear more details from Ford about it.