GEN 2 Leaked info on motor? 2017 Raptor 450hp/510lb.-ft of torque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRAPPPP

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do you guys think the numbers will be with exhaust, tune, and intake? I'm thinking it could keep up with a supercharged 6.2. Less hp but more torque and lighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
'Safe' tunes on the Gen 1 were 80-90hp/120-150tq.

I would think ****** gas would be more of a limitation than anything else.

Gen1 Eco's had forged guts but the big name shops recommended better rotating assemblies for anything over 600bhp.

I would hope the gen2 HO version has better Pistons & Rods - I know Ford has said different, I'm hoping better.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
'Safe' tunes on the Gen 1 were 80-90hp/120-150tq.

I would think ****** gas would be more of a limitation than anything else.

Gen1 Eco's had forged guts but the big name shops recommended better rotating assemblies for anything over 600bhp.

I would hope the gen2 HO version has better Pistons & Rods - I know Ford has said different, I'm hoping better.

I never followed the gen 1 tune results. What more than a tune did it take to get those numbers you listed?

So assuming the Gen 2 HO motor doesn't have upgraded internals then there won't be much room to safely make it better than a tuned Gen 1?

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I never followed the gen 1 tune results. What more than a tune did it take to get those numbers you listed?

So assuming the Gen 2 HO motor doesn't have upgraded internals then there won't be much room to safely make it better than a tuned Gen 1?

Low end of the spectrum I posted is tune only (colder plugs and a 170* thermostat). Higher end is tune with down pipe and CAI (colder plugs, etc) - cat back gets a little better.

http://www.full-race.com/articles/full-race-f-150-ecoboost-dyno-testing.php

Those are the safe numbers, there are tuners that have higher numbers but they've also popped some engines.

1gen Eco's were somewhat limited without creative fueling solutions - that's probably the biggest reason the 2ndgen is DI and port injected.

I can only speculate as to the gen2 ceiling. Logically, I would think 600hp would be easier to achieve given the larger turbos and better fueling.

I would be very disappointed if after all the marketing BS the 2nd gen still needed upgraded internals at the same threshold.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Low end of the spectrum I posted is tune only (colder plugs and a 170* thermostat). Higher end is tune with down pipe and CAI (colder plugs, etc) - cat back gets a little better.

Dyno Testing: Ford F-150 EcoBoost Performance Upgrades| Full-Race.com

Those are the safe numbers, there are tuners that have higher numbers but they've also popped some engines.

1gen Eco's were somewhat limited without creative fueling solutions - that's probably the biggest reason the 2ndgen is DI and port injected.

I can only speculate as to the gen2 ceiling. Logically, I would think 600hp would be easier to achieve given the larger turbos and better fueling.

I would be very disappointed if after all the marketing BS the 2nd gen still needed upgraded internals at the same threshold.

When I bought my 13' FX4 I planned on tuning it when the warranty ran out. But after driving the truck a while I was pretty happy with stock power and figured I wouldn't mess with it. Totally opposite of what I've done with my 03' Cobra. Mods started on that car at 500 miles.

I may not be able to keep my hands off of my Raptor though. Once I see the new motor and trans is holding up well I may at least throw a tune at the truck. I don't care for the 6 cylinder exhaust note so I don't plan on doing exhaust.

Hopefully Ford has taken the approach with the Raptor motor as they did with the 03' Cobra motor and over built the internals knowing that people will mod them.

Ballistic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that scares me with putting a tuner on a new engine reminds me of a buddies experience. He put a tuner on his 6.7 and he blew his 20k dollar engine and ford rarely sends out a tech to look at but it was the first 6.7 to blow i think at the time and the ford tech plugs into their like black box on the truck and it showed something like a tuner and my buddy had to pay for the new engine...

Ill probably hold off for a while until i throw a tunner at it, but two each their own..

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The only thing that scares me with putting a tuner on a new engine reminds me of a buddies experience. He put a tuner on his 6.7 and he blew his 20k dollar engine and ford rarely sends out a tech to look at but it was the first 6.7 to blow i think at the time and the ford tech plugs into their like black box on the truck and it showed something like a tuner and my buddy had to pay for the new engine...

Ill probably hold off for a while until i throw a tunner at it, but two each their own..

I completely agree. Working for a dealership as long as I have I've seen some issues like that. I don't want to be the guy buying a motor or tranny or transfer case (all new for this truck) because I decided to try and squeeze some more power out of the truck and found the weak point.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I totally agree on being patient. The learning curve won't be as steep this time around and I know of one dual injected ecoboost already in existence - there was a guy that had a Flex (that's the one that looks like a refrigerator) that fabbed a custom intake so he could run PI and DI for more fueling. It was 600 at the wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIMsgZgeb4M

fast forward to ~7:40 for the list of mods

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I totally agree on being patient. The learning curve won't be as steep this time around and I know of one dual injected ecoboost already in existence - there was a guy that had a Flex (that's the one that looks like a refrigerator) that fabbed a custom intake so he could run PI and DI for more fueling. It was 600 at the wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIMsgZgeb4M

fast forward to ~7:40 for the list of mods

I believe I saw a post on here somewhere that the member said he's a tuner for a living and his wife has a 600 hp flex eco. He went on to say the 600# was the edge of the safe area for the internals on the Gen1 motor. He also was anxious to know if the raptor motor was going to have the dual injection. Said it made tuning much easier

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I saw a post on here somewhere that the member said he's a tuner for a living and his wife has a 600 hp flex eco. He went on to say the 600# was the edge of the safe area for the internals on the Gen1 motor. He also was anxious to know if the raptor motor was going to have the dual injection. Said it made tuning much easier

Well that is promising.

I guess my ?'s are this. I assume it will void some sort of warranty on the truck. Should I assume the engine?

Is there a way of removing and replacing the tune easily for warranty work on the truck?