Lake Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Headed to South Lake Tahoe for a ski trip this coming weekend. Rented a SCAB Gen 1 for my time there. Wondering if anyone knows of any trails or roads that are worth seeing in the area. Looking for something mild preferably with views of the lake. It's rented so im not looking to give it hell, remaining respectful to the owner. Told him I drove a 2019 SCREW and was approved within 20 minutes of confirming my itinerary... ha! I know there is lots of snow in the forecast so Id imagine some areas will be inaccessible. Rented the truck on Turo. Was surprised at the price per day compared to other vehicles. Rented it at $88 per day.
Other car options on Turo were:
2019 Tundra @ $90 per day
2021 Jeep Gladiator @ $190 per day
2021 Wrangler @ $140 per day
2022 Toyota 4runner @ $100 per day

I imagine the raptor was cheaper because its 2014 as opposed to these newer rental options. Im more than happy to take advantage of that. Lastly, what are gas prices looking like in Commifornia? Thanks in advance... looking forward to see the recommendations.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Should only cost you about $180 to fill that scab, lol. Haven't been to Lake Tahoe in the winter before, but they can get a lot of snow. Have fun and post pictures of your adventures.

OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should only cost you about $180 to fill that scab, lol. Haven't been to Lake Tahoe in the winter before, but they can get a lot of snow. Have fun and post pictures of your adventures.
$180?! Wow! Thats steep. I'm in south Florida paying around $115 on my gen 2 for a full tank. Thanks for the feedback.

Ghostrider743

Reaction score
I lived in Tahoe for 2 years in the mid 90s, have to say it is the most beautiful place I have been! Tons of snow in the winter, so most trails in the area might not be accessible. One of the most famous offroad trail systems in the United States is located within about 1 hour. The Rubicon Trail is an awesome trail system; however, it is a very highly technical and difficult trail. If you are renting, I would definitely not consider it. I would look up local trails on the interwebs and see what you can find. Good Luck, and have fun...you will definitely be in awe of the beauty of that area. I know they had a recent forest fire that was pretty bad, which ski area are you heading to?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$180?! Wow! Thats steep. I'm in south Florida paying around $115 on my gen 2 for a full tank. Thanks for the feedback.
So I checked on Gas buddy, it's not too bad actually, seems to average around 4.79 gallon for regular, so only $125 to fill the scab on the cheap stuff. Stay away from chevron, they want 5.29 gallon reg, 5.49 prem. lol

OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lived in Tahoe for 2 years in the mid 90s, have to say it is the most beautiful place I have been! Tons of snow in the winter, so most trails in the area might not be accessible. One of the most famous offroad trail systems in the United States is located within about 1 hour. The Rubicon Trail is an awesome trail system; however, it is a very highly technical and difficult trail. If you are renting, I would definitely not consider it. I would look up local trails on the interwebs and see what you can find. Good Luck, and have fun...you will definitely be in awe of the beauty of that area. I know they had a recent forest fire that was pretty bad, which ski area are you heading to?
I will post pictures, very excited and fortunate to have found the only raptor on Turo to rent for the trip. I will look for local trails, and of course as i drive around i won't hesitate to take the road less traveled.

We are headed to Heavenly mountain. We booked it about 4 months ago. Their opening date was scheduled for sometime November ( i believe). They were bone dry with 0 snow... the trip was looking less and less like a ski trip. Thankfully they are having a snow storm and the mountain opened Saturday. Just in the nick of time. Snow on the forecast every day this week! Raptor and Ski trip?!?! **** yea!

OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tahoeacr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get to Carson City, Costco has the cheapest fuel around. $3.79 for premium $3.39 for regular. If you have to buy fuel up here the Safeway ($4.89/5.15) is usually cheapest.
With the snow hitting everything will be gated closed. Weekend is suppose to be clear. If you're here for the next storm on Monday, I would suggest upper Kingsbury side streets. It gets deep up there and we don't plow the side streets until the end of the storm. Genoa Peak trail(access of off North Benjamin) is what you want but I'm sure it will be closed. I'll check it tonight when I'm plowing up there. I do the night shift so if I see you stuck I'll pull you out. lol.

Scottakacrash

Reaction score
You could try Blackwood Canyon OHV trail on the West Shore. It's between Emerald Bay and Tahoe City. I have a cabin in Tahoe City and we run our Raptor and Jeeps there in the summer months. The snow is dumping up there this week though, so access might be difficult. There was literally no snow there a week ago.

OP
OP
JAWSRaptor

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get to Carson City, Costco has the cheapest fuel around. $3.79 for premium $3.39 for regular. If you have to buy fuel up here the Safeway ($4.89/5.15) is usually cheapest.
With the snow hitting everything will be gated closed. Weekend is suppose to be clear. If you're here for the next storm on Monday, I would suggest upper Kingsbury side streets. It gets deep up there and we don't plow the side streets until the end of the storm. Genoa Peak trail(access of off North Benjamin) is what you want but I'm sure it will be closed. I'll check it tonight when I'm plowing up there. I do the night shift so if I see you stuck I'll pull you out. lol.
Right on! I normally fill at Costco anyways, and could stop there for groceries for my trip. Excellent recommendation. Im going to look at Kingsbury street, seems like its not far from Heavenly ski resort if im looking at the right area on google maps. Just searched Genoa Peak, which looks like its exactly what i'm looking for. Ill check this out over the weekend maybe i get lucky. Ill be in a black gen 1 SCAB... If i get into any trouble i know who to PM, haha. Thanks so much!