Kooks high flow GREEN catted down pipes installed!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running a tune? I ran 5 star tune for prob 50 miles and no problem, I have the mpt tune now and maybe 700 miles no problem. Did you put on the extenders like I did? Post converter? The only difference would be I have the afe cats which I'd suspect they both flow pretty close to each other. Did you throw the same code before the extenders?

MacG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running a tune? I ran 5 star tune for prob 50 miles and no problem, I have the mpt tune now and maybe 700 miles no problem. Did you put on the extenders like I did? Post converter? The only difference would be I have the afe cats which I'd suspect they both flow pretty close to each other. Did you throw the same code before the extenders?

Before and after extenders code is the same :{

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I had the same challenge on my gt350 with Kooks Green cats. No matter what I did, if I wasnt running 100 octane after installing the green cats, I'd get codes.

Same thing happened with their "normal" cats.

I'd be interested to see if running unleaded 98, 100 or 104 race gas on a stock tune would prevent the codes.

Wouldnt be a cheap experiment unless you have a 55 gal drum of race gas hanging around, as most race track pumps are usually priced at 10 bucks a gallon ( getting it delivered in drums generally nets an average price of $4 per gallon or so).

Net/net there is no free lunch. You want higher flowing downpipes, you're going to have to tune.

Ecoop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I was going suggest, just as a test since you have those extenders already, plug the hole maybe and drill out in increments till no code.

DallasDave

Reaction score
Wow! I had to read 14 pages to find out just about nothing about Down Pipes. Seems all down pipes are throwing codes. I sent my SW dp’s back when I read in another forum that they did indeed cause code issues and contacted SW Texh to confirm.

Tuners seem to take care of that issue but what do you do when you take your 70k truck in for service? Can’t leave the tuner hooked up, can’t have it popping codes. Maybe no down pipes for me. Old school, dual 2 1/2” exhaust would handle 850 hp no problem. 67 Mustang 460 C6, 6.8 1/8 mile hitting 98 mph with mufflers and tail pipes. Think I’ll stick with the SPD and SType Borla exhausts.

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score
Wow! I had to read 14 pages to find out just about nothing about Down Pipes. Seems all down pipes are throwing codes. I sent my SW dp’s back when I read in another forum that they did indeed cause code issues and contacted SW Texh to confirm.

Tuners seem to take care of that issue but what do you do when you take your 70k truck in for service? Can’t leave the tuner hooked up, can’t have it popping codes. Maybe no down pipes for me. Old school, dual 2 1/2” exhaust would handle 850 hp no problem. 67 Mustang 460 C6, 6.8 1/8 mile hitting 98 mph with mufflers and tail pipes. Think I’ll stick with the SPD and SType Borla exhausts.

You won't make that much power with this engine. There are other posts here showing that the engine tune is already fairly maxed out. Anymore, and you will have some problems.

dwiyrick

Reaction score

Mcnawsty

Banned
Reaction score