KO2 tire life, pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, looks like these are the snow-rated, non-DT version (close-up sidewall pic), which reportedly does not come with the 50K mile warranty.

I don't think any stock Raptor size BFG Ko2's are either DT or come with a 50k mile warranty. It appears the DT / 50k Ko2's are in slightly smaller sizes.

T!

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What size tires are those? Why I ask;

The original Gen 2 Raptor tire size is 315/70/17. BFG makes two Ko2 tires in that size, part number 58424, 315/70R17 113/110S, load range C, and part number 08806, 315/70R17 121/118S, load range E.

The load range C tire, part number 58424, is the original equipment tire for the Raptor and is a 6 ply rated tire. The load range E tire, part number 08806, is a 10 ply rated tire.

Both of those tires are "mud and snow" rated, and carry identical "M + S TRACTION" with three peak and snowflake markings.

But I don't think either of those are DT tires (I freely admit I could be wrong, but I don't think so). DT standing for "Different Tread", meaning the tire has a different, harder wearing, rubber in the tread region.

The 6 ply tire rides soft and quiet, but is fairly easy to push objects through when off road. I recently replaced my original 6 ply tires (at 29+k miles) with the 10 ply, load range E, version. I find the 10 ply tire a bit harder riding, and I do not have enough miles on them to even guess at wear comparisons.

I rotate every other oil change, but I try to change oil at 3000 miles, sometimes I procrastinate a bit and don't get around to it until almost 4000 miles. So the tires are rotated every 6000 - 8000 miles. I do cross rotate, to even out wear.

Although I replaced the the first set at ~29k miles I still think I got acceptable wear and life out of them. Several thousand of those miles were off road, and I am not particularly gentle on tires even on road. I am also in the desert heat, however near Death Valley CA, a bit west of you.

I find for best, most even wear, and best ride I have to run both types of tires a bit light on air. With the original tires I ran 38 lbs front and 35 lbs rear, I wanted to run a couple pounds less than that, but found the TPMS tripped on cool mornings, as the 35 lbs sometimes dipped below 32 lbs on those mornings. So far I am running the 10 ply tire at the same 38F/35R, but will probably try 36/34 and see how that goes. Even at 38F/35R I was getting mild indications of over inflation (slightly increased center wear).

T!

The Raptor dudes in UT recommended 32/28 for all conditions. FYI the TPMS sensors don’t show pressure under 30 psi. I ran my tires at these pressures for maybe 5,000 miles and really liked the handling as well as the ride. I live off pavement six months a year and the low pressures were muy bueno.

I put the pressure up to low 40’s for some towing. That worked well but the ride was firmer and the truck was jittery on the highway without the trailer. Off pavement at 40 psi is awful. Now I’m at 38/34 which feels like a good middle psi for pavement. I will go back to 32/28 when I return to the off pavement residence.

I run the C rated KO2’s on the Raptor, and run the E rated KO2’s on my F250 and F350. Personally I would not put the E rated tires on the Raptor. Each to their own though...

Also in regard to punctures, from my experience the thickness of the tread keeps the thorns and pointy rocks from doing damage. Once you go below 50% tread depth the number of punctures goes up. Sidewall damage is a different deal though.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor dudes in UT recommended 32/28 for all conditions. FYI the TPMS sensors don’t show pressure under 30 psi. I ran my tires at these pressures for maybe 5,000 miles and really liked the handling as well as the ride. I live off pavement six months a year and the low pressures were muy bueno.

I live off pavement all the time, but it is a pretty tame dirt road to the house. And yeah, lower pressures are better, for sure.

My TPMS do show pressures under 30 PSI, I have seen indications as low as 12 PSI on them. The trigger point for the truck is around 30 or 32 PSI though, so anything below that point triggers the low air warning. I tried 32 PSI, but was getting frequent triggers and bongs as the pressures would fluctuate slightly with temperature. One morning it would be fine, the next I would have a low pressure warning, etc. And even though I knew the tires were fine I still hate to see that light on.

I run the C rated KO2’s on the Raptor, and run the E rated KO2’s on my F250 and F350. Personally I would not put the E rated tires on the Raptor. Each to their own though...

Also in regard to punctures, from my experience the thickness of the tread keeps the thorns and pointy rocks from doing damage. Once you go below 50% tread depth the number of punctures goes up. Sidewall damage is a different deal though.

I had a lot of issues in the local desert pushing creosote branches and sharp rocks through, even when the tires were near new, and for sure as the tires aged it got worse, so I decided to give the E rated 10 ply tires a try. I did give it some thought as I realize the ride will be harsher, and the smooth on-road ride is one of the things my wife really likes about the truck. So I could end up going back to the C rated 6 ply tires, but have to give these a chance first.

T!

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live off pavement all the time, but it is a pretty tame dirt road to the house. And yeah, lower pressures are better, for sure.

My TPMS do show pressures under 30 PSI, I have seen indications as low as 12 PSI on them. The trigger point for the truck is around 30 or 32 PSI though, so anything below that point triggers the low air warning. I tried 32 PSI, but was getting frequent triggers and bongs as the pressures would fluctuate slightly with temperature. One morning it would be fine, the next I would have a low pressure warning, etc. And even though I knew the tires were fine I still hate to see that light on.

I had a lot of issues in the local desert pushing creosote branches and sharp rocks through, even when the tires were near new, and for sure as the tires aged it got worse, so I decided to give the E rated 10 ply tires a try. I did give it some thought as I realize the ride will be harsher, and the smooth on-road ride is one of the things my wife really likes about the truck. So I could end up going back to the C rated 6 ply tires, but have to give these a chance first.

T!
We sound similar...we're 3.5 miles off pavement...I've got friends who live 20 miles off the pave. Gotta love it :)

West TX/Big Bend - we've got greasewood bushes that drop their branches. The parts of the branch that make the elbows are deadly to tires. I've flatted two wheelbarrow tires (did go to solid tire), mtn bike tires and truck tires on the elbows.

Let us know how the E's work out for you on the Raptor. The E's work great for me on the work trucks...however those trucks DO NOT move quickly on the rough roads...kinda like driving a lumber wagon.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little older thread, but just an FYI. BF Goodrich replaced my tires at 28k on my GEN1 due to feathering despite perfect alignment numbers. I had it looked at during an oil change at the dealer, and BF Goodrich called them, and they verified it. I had already purchased new KO2s, and they sent me a check to cover the new tires. Worth a shot

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We sound similar...we're 3.5 miles off pavement...I've got friends who live 20 miles off the pave. Gotta love it :)

West TX/Big Bend - we've got greasewood bushes that drop their branches. The parts of the branch that make the elbows are deadly to tires. I've flatted two wheelbarrow tires (did go to solid tire), mtn bike tires and truck tires on the elbows.

Let us know how the E's work out for you on the Raptor. The E's work great for me on the work trucks...however those trucks DO NOT move quickly on the rough roads...kinda like driving a lumber wagon.

The E's, in my opinion should have come on the truck from the start. It stiffens it up in corners, and it feels planted. The C load tires felt mushy as shit.

SoxFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The E's, in my opinion should have come on the truck from the start. It stiffens it up in corners, and it feels planted. The C load tires felt mushy as shit.

Couldn't agree more, much happier when I changed mine out to E rated