KO2 tire life, pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLeeDog

Reaction score
ALL off-road type tires (AT or MT) will make more and more sound with wear, regardless of the compound. Just watch the tread wear. It is part of the Raptor experience.

FINRPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wore out the rears in less than 10k miles. Didn’t rotate, but also didn’t do dumb things like burnouts.

Got a set of factory t/os, the rears are almost gone in 4K. I need to learn to lighten up on acceleration.

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 Supercrew, April 2018 purchase, ~24000 miles, I have a little less tread left on the original tires than what is in those pictures. The truck has several thousand off-road miles on it. I rotate the tires every 6000 to 8000 miles, every other oil change (yes, I try to change the oil about every 3000 miles, but will stretch to 4000 if I am a bit lazy). 38/front 35/rear.

Mine started to get noisy at about 18000, and has gotten steadily worse as the mileage builds up.

T!

Last edited:

baptizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are at 37-38 psi cold and I'm sticking to a tire rotation with every oil change @ 5k miles - the truck rides nice and stable.

I've had no traction issues with the stock KO2's outside of the wintry mess we get up here in the NWPA/UPNY area. They've performed really well in the snow and now the mud I encounter when off-road for work.

BowesEsq

Reaction score
I have stock K02's on my '17 Raptor. Just last week noticed this center-wear issue on my passenger-side, front tire (tread pic). It's almost bald. Passenger rear has similar wear pattern, but not as pronounced. Anyone else experience this? I drive fast, but rarely "peel out." Believe rotation has been on schedule. I'm almost at 40K. Mostly freeway driving, but sometimes off-road at my Central TX ranch (gravel, mud and grass). Never snow.

Also, looks like these are the snow-rated, non-DT version (close-up sidewall pic), which reportedly does not come with the 50K mile warranty.

Hate to replace just those 2, but the driver's side tires have more life in them (full-view pic is driver's front). Also question whether it would be problematic to replace those two with the longer-life "DT" version of the same tire since I'm never in snow.

TIA for any feedback.

Raptor - Tire Wear (Passenger Front).jpg Raptor - Tire Full View.jpg Raptor - Mud and Snow.jpg.PNG

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have stock K02's on my '17 Raptor. Just last week noticed this center-wear issue on my passenger-side, front tire (tread pic). It's almost bald. Passenger rear has similar wear pattern, but not as pronounced. Anyone else experience this? I drive fast, but rarely "peel out." Believe rotation has been on schedule. I'm almost at 40K. Mostly freeway driving, but sometimes off-road at my Central TX ranch (gravel, mud and grass). Never snow.

Also, looks like these are the snow-rated, non-DT version (close-up sidewall pic), which reportedly does not come with the 50K mile warranty.

Hate to replace just those 2, but the driver's side tires have more life in them (full-view pic is driver's front). Also question whether it would be problematic to replace those two with the longer-life "DT" version of the same tire since I'm never in snow.

TIA for any feedback.

View attachment 125418 View attachment 125419 View attachment 125420
Someone posted on here that got a tire dealer to have BFG credit $$$ toward purchase of another set based on uneven strange wear in the middle like yours.

I have 8400 miles on mine, rotated them once, wearing very evenly & very quiet. I run 42 psi front & 40 rear

BowesEsq

Reaction score
Someone posted on here that got a tire dealer to have BFG credit $$$ toward purchase of another set based on uneven strange wear in the middle like yours.

Thanks for reply. I plan to give that a shot at Discount Tire.

Also think I'll just replace all 4 despite my earlier plan of just 2. Looking more closely last night, not alot of tread left on any of them. Safety first . . . especially at 90-100 mph.

Reaction score
I put 75k on first set of ko2s DTs with 10%left, second, snow rated, set has 60k and looks just as good. So similar wear. I rotate every 5k as part of oil change, to the point swollon lugs needed replacement. Vegas desert heat. Couldn't ask for more from these tires

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for reply. I plan to give that a shot at Discount Tire.

Also think I'll just replace all 4 despite my earlier plan of just 2. Looking more closely last night, not alot of tread left on any of them. Safety first . . . especially at 90-100 mph.

Lol no problem, but in all seriousness I doubt the Raptor or the BFGs in particular are safe @ 90-100mph when brand new

OriginalToken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 75k on first set of ko2s DTs with 10%left, second, snow rated, set has 60k and looks just as good. So similar wear. I rotate every 5k as part of oil change, to the point swollon lugs needed replacement. Vegas desert heat. Couldn't ask for more from these tires

What size tires are those? Why I ask;

The original Gen 2 Raptor tire size is 315/70/17. BFG makes two Ko2 tires in that size, part number 58424, 315/70R17 113/110S, load range C, and part number 08806, 315/70R17 121/118S, load range E.

The load range C tire, part number 58424, is the original equipment tire for the Raptor and is a 6 ply rated tire. The load range E tire, part number 08806, is a 10 ply rated tire.

Both of those tires are "mud and snow" rated, and carry identical "M + S TRACTION" with three peak and snowflake markings.

But I don't think either of those are DT tires (I freely admit I could be wrong, but I don't think so). DT standing for "Different Tread", meaning the tire has a different, harder wearing, rubber in the tread region.

The 6 ply tire rides soft and quiet, but is fairly easy to push objects through when off road. I recently replaced my original 6 ply tires (at 29+k miles) with the 10 ply, load range E, version. I find the 10 ply tire a bit harder riding, and I do not have enough miles on them to even guess at wear comparisons.

I rotate every other oil change, but I try to change oil at 3000 miles, sometimes I procrastinate a bit and don't get around to it until almost 4000 miles. So the tires are rotated every 6000 - 8000 miles. I do cross rotate, to even out wear.

Although I replaced the the first set at ~29k miles I still think I got acceptable wear and life out of them. Several thousand of those miles were off road, and I am not particularly gentle on tires even on road. I am also in the desert heat, however near Death Valley CA, a bit west of you.

I find for best, most even wear, and best ride I have to run both types of tires a bit light on air. With the original tires I ran 38 lbs front and 35 lbs rear, I wanted to run a couple pounds less than that, but found the TPMS tripped on cool mornings, as the 35 lbs sometimes dipped below 32 lbs on those mornings. So far I am running the 10 ply tire at the same 38F/35R, but will probably try 36/34 and see how that goes. Even at 38F/35R I was getting mild indications of over inflation (slightly increased center wear).

T!