Kings VS Icon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Netix

Banned
Reaction score
Lots of discussions on this being best to least.. King icon fox
King speak for themselves i run them they are awesome, icons best street/offroad due to adjustments you can make, my buddy here from the forum runs them

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

Also with icons you cant install rcv cv shafts, they dont fit with icons

SDHQ

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is some info and a thread we started last year on the Icons

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f40/icon-suspension-@-sdhq-4903/

All three of the big brands have some differences that go deeper than just the a color choice. I'm sure more can be added to these pros & cons.. But these are a good start..

Icon Pros-
Icon has a compression adjuster for fine tuning the ride

Full size 3” piston. This is the main piston that operates the entire stroke of the shock

Position sensitive - An additional internal bump shock for the last 3” of travel to control bottoming and kicking. This bump shock is split into (2) 1.5” zones, when combined with the damping of the main piston this gives 3 zones in both compression and rebound all with unique characteristics appropriate for that range of travel

Unlike an internal or most external bypass shocks that starts with overly stiff piston valving then "defeat" the piston by "Bypassing" fluid trough a hole or pop off valve the ICON system creates position sensitive control by adding piston area when force is needed rather than subtracting from an overworked small piston to make ride tolerable. In bottoming zones the ICON system has 119% more working piston area than an internal bypass and 49% more in the ride zone

Digressive rebound - The main 3” piston incorporates digressive piston geometry. This allows the shocks to have better low speed control without compromising high speed flow. this creates better stability in a fast lane change type of maneuver and quicker chassis recovery from large hits.

Icon Cons-
Currently the RCV axles do not work with them - Icon is working on a new lower cup

Icon does not make shocks for your trophy truck.. yet

King Pros-
Has a compression adjuster that affects the entire range of travel

Full size 3" Piston

King Cons-
Not position sensitive

Adds compression via the adjuster to prevent bottoming which in turns adds harshness to the ride zone

Trying to create enough force to resist bottoming from a compression adjuster that works on shaft displacement (as do most all variants of external compression adjusters) is problematic and is best used to supplement the overall tuning by 20-30%

Fox pros-
Has multiple internal zones for position sensitivity

Fox Cons-
No compression adjuster to adjust ride.

Internal position shocks use a smaller internal cylinder with bypass holes so the actual piston is only 2.5” (OE Fox is 2.5” body with a 2.0” piston)

Bypassing holes in inner can inherently have poor low speed control

SDHQ

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You forgot a Kings con, Noisy!!

Good list though...

LOL... I was trying to play nice...

I did forget to add the rear shock lower shin guard that Icon includes as a Pro for Icon. Also, I just got the call that the lower cups that Icon built for us is done and ready for us to try w/ the RCV axles... So that con for Icon will be erased shortly!

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
LOL... I was trying to play nice...

I did forget to add the rear shock lower shin guard that Icon includes as a Pro for Icon. Also, I just got the call that the lower cups that Icon built for us is done and ready for us to try w/ the RCV axles... So that con for Icon will be erased shortly!

That is awesome... Hopefully it works because that would be the ultimate setup..

-Greg

Mdrnizd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So for someone that wants a better street ride as well as better off-road performance should do Icon's over Fox? I rarely get to play much off-road because I live in Oklahoma.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So for someone that wants a better street ride as well as better off-road performance should do Icon's over Fox? I rarely get to play much off-road because I live in Oklahoma.
The nice thing with the Icons, is that you can adjust them easily without tools, front AND rear! So you can put the front end all the way on "Soft" for street use, which makes the ride like stock. Then you can crank it down a few clicks for off road use, so you can REALLY hit stuff hard and not bottom out. That, plus the rear's are also adjustable by hand, with a clicking knob.

Every adjustment makes a difference you can actually FEEL right away. Cool setup.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The adjustment nobs on the rear of the ICON that others do not have makes it simple and easy to adjust no tools needed.
I heard other rear external bypass shocks that have the noisy clicking sound and was turned off by that and was hoping that the ICONS would be quieter, to my surprise they are silent.
I think that they also got rid of the annoying Rolling gallop over expansion joints, as I don't experience that anymore.
The shocks also have an internal bump-stop so you may not need the bolt on hydraulic bump stop. The ICON truck has been run hard and tested with out the bolt-on bump stops without any problems.

Attachments

• SAM_8269.jpg
    SAM_8269.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 137
  • SAM_8266.jpg
    SAM_8266.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 148
  • SAM_8276.jpg
    SAM_8276.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited: