Keeping after breakdown?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Browsing

Reaction score
Took my family to the mountains of NC the week after Christmas in our 13 SCREW with 137k miles. Climbing one of the mountains, truck began hunting for gears and threw a wrench light. Pulled over, checked it, shut it off and got back going again. Saw it downshift from 6th to 3rd then back to 5th. Just all over the place so rather than chance it, we got a room for the night and had it towed to a nearby dealer.

Dealer kept it for a couple days and determined a p0735 code and in need of a lead frame but would not cover it due to the code so it’s currently still there (300 miles from home) waiting on the part.

My question is, it left my family stranded and in a rental so I’m struggling with the idea of keeping it after it’s repaired. Would you? Have you kept and driven your Raptor after it went **** up on the road?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So, I think some context is missing. If it’s the first time it’s thrown a code and presented a problem since day one, then I think you’re jumping the gun( or shark ). If, OTOH, the truck has been a stream of nickel and dime repairs, spaced out just far enough to keep you from dumping it, but close enough to frustrate the daylights out of you, then maybe you’re right to be concerned.

Just had a similar conversation at the range with a guy complaining about a malfunction. I have had a malfunction in every gun I have, because I shoot them a lot. I’ve broken guns from every manufacturer I’ve bought from too. Some early on, some took thousands of rounds, but they’ve all needed work.

There is no mechanically perfect.

It’s frustrating when you’re impacted hugely due to a mechanical. I was riding with my wife through the Alps when the brakes on our BMW failed. Not the first brand b I was on, but it was the 2nd to the last. The last one - the replacement from our renter, cut out for no reason and would not restart, stranding is in Brescia. it was an expensive trip back to civilization and to continue the vacation.

If I bought home a bmw my wife would either murder me in my sleep or divorce me and frankly I’m not willing to find out which. I feel rather good about my -what some would call “irrational fear of bmw’s”. I mean, it’s not like the fùcking thing tried to kill us or anything, with an total brake failure due to an electronic fault coming down a 10,000 foot mountain pass. And not that I’m BITTER or anything.

And long, long before that I had to sue under a lemon law. I still haven’t bought from that manufacturer again, and that was in the late 80’s. It wasn’t so much that it was the mechanical issues, it’s the way the stealerships treated me. And TBH, I know I contributed to that, because I was frustrated, poor, and not as jovial as I am now ( stop laughing ! )

All this is to say I think I understand where you’re coming from, but is there anything else going on with the truck wherein this has ‘pushed you over the edge’ so to speak?

Things break. You either fix them, or replace them and move on with life. If you decide you’ve had enough, I’ll take it off your hands for $500.00 LMK ;-)

OP
OP
Browsing

Browsing

Reaction score
For context, I have not added up repairs or maintenance as most is done by myself with parts from Ford or Advance Auto where I work. Most of what’s been needed has been maintenance for a 100k+ mile truck.

My question centered around getting back in and driving a vehicle that has left you and your family broken down hundreds of miles from home or right around the corner. As with the BMW’s, it will certainly be something you think about riding in or driving one in the future. All mechanical parts will have a lifespan but this was poorly timed and something that will be tough to shake and get back in it for another road trip.

Attachments

• DACC06C4-7508-4AE5-AEAB-F72F55BA9EC1.jpeg
    DACC06C4-7508-4AE5-AEAB-F72F55BA9EC1.jpeg
    308.3 KB · Views: 10

2slo4u

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this problem had happened near your home, would you be having the same thoughts? Getting stranded is an emotional event. Remove the emotion and where do you find yourself?

OP
OP
Browsing

Browsing

Reaction score
If it happened closer to home, I would have had it towed by someone I know and diagnosed by someone I trust. I do not like random heads diagnosing the issue and potentially chasing a part with a three month back order. Totally different if I could hook my scan tool to it and see what the truck was doing. I think it’s more about trusting someone 300 miles away to actually fix the issue correctly or just bandaid it for the ride home. With fuel costs, it would be $1k to get it back home.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I have some thoughts that may or may NOT help.

1: if the water heater in your home goes out (they all do eventually) to you buy a new house??

2: It amazes me that today pretty much everyone carries a long distance communication device in their pocket (dare I say everyone in your raptor has/had one) and yet we are more worried/scared about breaking down than our parents or grandparents were 40+ years ago.

I remember crossing death valley in 1980, in a 1976 Thunderbird on a 120 degree day in July, no cell phones and no one in the car gave a 2nd thought about it.

I think you handled the situation perfectly, get a room, called a tow truck and dealt with it.

Shit happens, it is how you react that makes the difference.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Anything can break at anytime. Several years ago I had a brand new Ram, fuel pump $hit the bed right in front of a bar we were pulling into in Port Aransas. Timing is everything though.