Just picked up a Whipple charged Raptor. Aux fan always on engine running too cool?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrFord626

Reaction score
Hey everyone took a huge risk and just picked up a 2014 Raptor with 60,000 miles yesterday and it has a Whipple. Not sure what stage or package it is. Being new to the supercharged world, I'm not sure if this is normal. It has the aux fans on the cooler and they are always on which seems weird to me. Also the engine seems to run really cool. It doesn't get past the quarter mark on the temp gauge. Should these fans be running as soon as I stick the key in? What's up with the engine temp? On my test drive the truck ran great and I figured the truck just didn't get up to full temp due to the amount of time I drove it. Could it just be a bad thermostat or is it from the fans running constantly? Any help would be much appreciated thank you in advance.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where you got it used and don't know its history, it might be a good idea to test the thermostat.

Remove the t-stat and put it in water with a thermometer, you can then see exactly what temp the t-stat is opening at. This would give you a good baseline to start from.

I wouldnt just toss a stock t-stat in since it might be tuned to run how it is.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck has a Whipple tune on it as part of the upgrades you should be able to contact them and provide them a VIN number and they likely will be able to tell you what kit/tune was installed...and also what you should expect about its function.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!

I have added a relay to one of the aux switches to power the HE fans.
This allows me to turn on the fans when needed.
The HE fans have little affect in changing the radiator temp because the flow of air from them do not reach the radiator.
It probably has a 160 degree thermostat which is great for the warm and hot summer days.
Not so great for cold climate if you want heat quickly, LOL

I change the thermostat to a 170 for winter and back to a 160 for summer.

I would leave it for now, it's going to warm up in a week or two.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MrFord626

MrFord626

Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!

I have added a relay to one of the aux switches to power the HE fans.
This allows me to turn on the fans when needed.
The HE fans have little affect in changing the radiator temp because the flow of air from them do not reach the radiator.
It probably has a 160 degree thermostat which is great for the warm and hot summer days.
Not so great for cold climate if you want heat quickly, LOL

I change the thermostat to a 175 for winter and back to a 160 for summer.

I would leave it for now, it's going to warm up in a week or two.
Thank you for the great advice. I'm definitely hooking up the fans to one of the aux switches this weekend. I was just thinking those fans would've had a relay right from Whipple. So when it was running all the time I thought something was not working or wired correctly. I'll have to switch out the thermostat in the winter for sure lol. Should I worry about long term reliability running that cool?

OP
OP
MrFord626

MrFord626

Reaction score
If the truck has a Whipple tune on it as part of the upgrades you should be able to contact them and provide them a VIN number and they likely will be able to tell you what kit/tune was installed...and also what you should expect about its function.
I'm very curious what stage the truck has in it. It's crazy stupid fast and definitely the fastest vehicle I've ever owned.

OP
OP
MrFord626

MrFord626

Reaction score
Where you got it used and don't know its history, it might be a good idea to test the thermostat.

Remove the t-stat and put it in water with a thermometer, you can then see exactly what temp the t-stat is opening at. This would give you a good baseline to start from.

I wouldnt just toss a stock t-stat in since it might be tuned to run how it is.
I'm guessing it's just the way it's tuned, but I'm having someone look at it that owns a speed shop soon to make sure everything is good.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's just the way it's tuned, but I'm having someone look at it that owns a speed shop soon to make sure everything is good.

The t-stat controls the temp, then you tune for that, not control the temp with the tune.

Id be curious what it was set at.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you get the Tuner device?
Since it's a 2014 it will be the SCT X4 from: https://www.sctflash.com/products/s...MakeId=5&vehicleModelId=69&vehicleEngineId=27
If not, try to get it from the last owner through the dealer.
The sale of your truck is incomplete without the Tuner Device!!!
I hate dealers that do that!!!!

This will save you from the big hassle trying to return the truck back to the stock Tune,
(Whipple or OEM Stock Tune or a custom Tune from a speed shop).

Like someone mentioned earlier, call Whipple and give them your Vin#
Complete kits and Tunes are sold with the Vin#

Last edited:

JimIII@JDM

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want the best tune for your truck give us a call! We can help with anything you need we one of Whipple largest dealers as well as SCT's longest standing dealer today!! Our tunes for the Raptor trucks go unsurpassed, call anytime during our hours at 732-780-0770