Just finished my first oil change, what a pleasure!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealer had to change my oil on my '20 at 800 miles because of a cracked timing cover, or else I would have done it myself at 1000 miles. I just finished the first regular oil change at 5200. What a giant pain in the balls, now I know why everyone complains about it! At least from reading on here, I already had a Fumoto SX valve ready to put in, to make it a little better in the future. Nice valve, seems really well made.

I did have a weird thing with the filter I was wondering if any of you guys had ever run into. It had a Ford FL-500S filter from the dealer repair. I got a Ford FL-500S from Advanced and got a cap wrench to fit it, since none of the ones I already had would fit, and none of my universal ones would fit either. I figured I would stick with Motorcraft to keep any potential warranty hassles minimized. The cap wrench would not fit the FL-500S that the dealer installed! That one was a mm or so larger than the filter I got from Advanced. Who the hell makes different size filter ends in the same brand/model oil filter? :emotions122: I could see if I went from Motorcraft to Mobil 1, but it's the same filter! I've never seen anything so dumb. I ended up having to used a giant channel locks to grab it over the end and stuck a long open end through the handles to get some twist. That bitch was really on there.

Last edited:

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I bought my truck a year ago when nothing in our area was selling. Part of the deal is free oil changes every 5,000 miles for life. The last time I sipped on coffee while they changed the oil and rotated the tires. About 45 minutes later I was out the door.

I guess none of that really helps you, but it did remind me I’m about due for another oil change. I’m going to combine this one with them repainting the front bumper under warranty.

gopher870

Reaction score
I did have a weird thing with the filter I was wondering if any of you guys had ever run into.

Yes. Very frustrating. Not only with Ford but my other vehicles/filter brands too. I stopped using cap wretches all together and now keep a one size fits all that basically wraps around the outside of the filter and uses little teeth to grab the filter as you turn the handle.

I only need it after someone else has touched the filter as I do not over tighten them when I install. Of course, the down side can be it is difficult to use in tight engine bays.

I generally can remove the filter with a good hand grip barring it is not too hot to handle.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I bought my truck a year ago when nothing in our area was selling. Part of the deal is free oil changes every 5,000 miles for life. The last time I sipped on coffee while they changed the oil and rotated the tires. About 45 minutes later I was out the door.

I guess none of that really helps you, but it did remind me I’m about due for another oil change. I’m going to combine this one with them repainting the front bumper under warranty.

My dealer offered me free oil changes because of several things that went seriously wrong with my delivery, but I would rather do it myself and know it's done properly and nobody is leaving a quart of oil in my skid plates.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer offered me free oil changes because of several things that went seriously wrong with my delivery, but I would rather do it myself and know it's done properly and nobody is leaving a quart of oil in my skid plates.

exactly why I do my own as well!!!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It is a pain. I have learned to hold the catch pan up as close to the oil pan as possible at first. I swear the first 3 times I splashed shit everywhere, then remembered, oh yeah. Not too bad after that. Still on the factory yellow drain plug, it works for me.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You’ve popped your cherry!!!!

Welcome to the club. It gets easier after the first change and yes it makes you feel like a rookie.

Now, I know what to expect. Old oil goes right into an empty jug with the fumoto.

I know where to grab onto the filter to remove and know where to put the pan to catch the oil. Wipe up the trough over the cross member.

Now, not hard at all.

I use these to remove the filter since it’s pretty tight in there:
8B866EEA-42C5-441A-8CB3-03CD1D5E343F.jpeg

I pre-fill the new oil filter about 1/3 to at least soak the media. Quickly spin it on and hand tight only. I’ve heard here that it’s a no-no to lube the filter gasket but I do.

Last edited:

D11gnccer

Reaction score
Speaking of oil change rants, I just took our Escape in for an oil change and wiper blades. I waited for 2.5 hours and was the first vehicle in the doors with an appointment.

To make it worse, they had very few vehicles on the lot that caught my eye to look over and pass time. I was sticker shocked to find 2021 XLT F150’s at $58k.

CobraJay

Tweaker by trade
Reaction score
It is a pain. I have learned to hold the catch pan up as close to the oil pan as possible at first. I swear the first 3 times I splashed shit everywhere, then remembered, oh yeah. Not too bad after that. Still on the factory yellow drain plug, it works for me.

My first oil change I cut up a 1 liter plastic bottle and used it as a splash shield/funnel to keep the mess under control. I initially tried to see if I could vacuum the oil out through the dipstick tube but couldnt get more that ~3qts out.

I use a fumoto valve with a hose now and wont have the splashing problem ever again. As for the filter none of my filter cups would work on the ford filter either so I use a rubber strap wrench for that. Still annoys me how the filter drains out but at least in my slightly nose down driveway everything flows out at one spot.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am getting tired of the dealers being booked up and having to wait hours so I ordered the Fumoto valve and hose and will attempt mine next week. I am thinking about taking a punch and poking a hole in the oil filter to let it drain before taking it off like they do on my Detroit diesel.