Jumping Ship from Gen 2 to Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CarlosnVegas

Reaction score
I have a late model 2013 when bigger nav screen was added. 137k miles. Biggest issue was that 10cent fuel pump fuse. Good friends here told you about it. Stealership will act like they don't know to sell you a fuel pump, wire harness and labor. 4x4 selector switch went out at about 90k miles. $20 Amazon OEM part. YT video on it. If you hear grinding noise from any wheel, have a smoke test from a dependable repair shop before changing IWE. Mine had a line puncture corrected by a pocket knife and spit. Do not touch anything it says to in the manual. Only spark plugs, fuel, air filter, seldom top off transmission oil and oil change. Nothing. Not even the shocks, timing chains nothing. That's when your problems start. Solid daily driver, fishing, hunting, boat pulling, extreme airborn Baja style offroading. Recommend a helmet.

Ghstfce

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive been a Gen 2 raptor owner for the last four years. First a 2018 and now had my 2020 for the past 6 months. Ive had an itching over the past couple months to get a Gen 1 to go along side my Gen 2. Ive made the decision to finally do that. Im now actively searching for a Screw Gen 1 in blue preferably under 50k miles. So here's my question, I literally know nothing in terms of things related to the Gen 1 and problems or "common things" that go wrong on them. I know about the "common things" on the Gen 2's that go wrong (knock on wood my last gen 2's have been flawless in terms of reliability and I beat on them pretty hard) but nothing about the Gen 1's. Obviously the older the truck gets the more things will start to wear out just like all vehicles, but in your opinion what are the main things to look out for with the Gen 1's? Motor problems? tranny problems? Suspension problems? Any insight or knowledge at all will be greatly appreciated! Any info at all about buying a used Gen 1 and what to look out for. And like I said, I want one that's preferably under 50k miles so that way it doesn't have things breaking all the time. Heres a picture of my current Gen 2 incase anyone cares haha.
View attachment 150209
What are the dimensions on those wheels. I like them a lot for my gen 2. What’s the - offset on it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 10 SCAB with 85k miles and the 6.2 last fall. It was a 1 owner gently used truck with dealer service records. Ive had the transmission seal replaced and will replace the shocks soon. The big thing for me was the blend door in the heater on the drivers side is broken or stuck and the air is stuck on a medium setting.

yubayogi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, get one and enjoy it. I would love to hear your comparison of the 2 trucks. The Gen2 has the tech part covered but drive is what I am curious about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had to have the transfer case replaced on my 2011 at about 83K miles. Expensive. Properly maintained it, too, with several fluid changes and the installation of a Dimple magnetic drain plug. It came standard with the mystery Ford Transfer Case Fluid, and that's what I used for the first two fluid changes. That might have been a factor. Ford has since abandoned its proprietary fluid in favor of Mercon LV. I recommend you change the transfer case fluid right away.

mchurch0211

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transfer case is not expensive can be replaced in less than a hr and 850$ With core have done it before

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Solid truck, look for the newest/cleanest one you can find and enjoy it.
Like all Raptors, the fun is when you start to mod them and enjoy what they are capable of off-road. I'd try and find one in the south to avoid the rust issues.

Things to look for:
1. Fuse 27 bypass
2. Power Steering pump noise
3. Leaking Shocks or a harsh ride from them never being serviced
4. Fluid flushes (coolant, diff's,brake, power steering,trans) even with low miles a 2014 is about to be 7 years old... its due.
5. maintenance history... ask for it
6. AC blend door actuators. They work then they don't.. Kinda a crap shoot, i never had the issue
7. Sunroof/rear window switch.. Can go bad. I replaced one in my 13 and my 14
8. Rear window defrost issue. All Ford F150's. I never had a bad one, but its there..
9. Coil on Plugs arcing. You will hear a little electrical snapping sound if they arc to something
10. IWE's clicking/grinding. I never had issues, but its common