Jeep Lower Forty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This Jeep concept built by Mopar Underground is one of the more interesting (to me) concepts from them. It has the Hemi in it (the Hemi from the factory is a must in my book), huge ground clearance (huge tires), gearing, low CoG (considering the huge tires), brakes (Jeep brakes are among the worst available) and axles.

jeeplowerfortylive_lead.jpg

Here's the description written by Car & Driver magazine:

Jeep Lower Forty

Resembling the caricatured offspring of a Jeep Wrangler and a dune buggie, the Lower Forty in reality isn’t all that wacky. In fact, other than the modified body and enlarged fenders, the most extreme aspect of the Lower Forty are the massive 40x13.5-inch tires mounted on Mopar-designed 20-inch forged aluminum wheels. Under the skin, the Lower Forty is little more than a stock, two-door Wrangler Rubicon with a raucous 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 supplying 380 hp and 404 lb-ft of torque—no suspension lift. “The team’s goal was to achieve added ground clearance without altering the vehicle's center of gravity,” said Chrysler.

We guess that a low center of gravity was also part of why they chopped three inches of height from the windshield and increased its rake by 10 degrees. Other changes include a new domed carbon-fiber hood and a drop-down retro-style tailgate stamped with the Jeep logo. Inside, a shorter roll cage was installed, and the spare tire relocated to the cargo area, while the occupants, sitting on two-tone Katzkin leather seats, face a color-matched center console and instrument panel. Finally, the whole thing was painted “Red Eye No. 3,” which was custom-developed by the Mopar Underground team specifically for the Lower Forty.

The build team turned to the Mopar catalog for the vehicle’s mechanical upgrades. Beyond the 5.7-liter Hemi engine, the Lower Forty features a Getrag six-speed manual transmission. Mopar supplied a Dana 44 front axle and a Dana 60 rear axle, both equipped with 5:38 gears and Dynatrac-prepared ARB air lockers. We wholeheartedly approve.

mopar-underworld-jeep-lower-forty_8zIjt_5965.jpg

PRESS RELEASE

The Jeep "Lower Forty" takes the Jeep Wrangler platform to a new extreme. The vehicle is equipped with massive 40-inch x 13.5-inch tires mounted on Mopar's 20-inch forged-aluminum wheels. Mopar added aggressive wheels and tires to a stock, two-door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon without the use of a suspension lift. The team's goal was to achieve added ground clearance without dramatically altering the vehicle's center of gravity. The team removed copious amounts of body metal in order to provide room for 40-inch meats. Three inches are chopped from the windshield frame and a 10-degree rake is added.

Custom front and rear fender flares are 1-inch wider and are located 4 inches higher than a stock Jeep Wrangler. A new one-piece carbon-fiber hood with a Jeep CJ-like power dome and an all-new drop-down tailgate stamped with the "Jeep" logo are added to complete the exterior design.

On the interior, an all-new roll cage is neatly integrated into the body tub and tied directly into the frame rails. A custom made bikini top from Bestop keeps drivers in the shade. The spare tire is relocated to the cargo floor and a custom cargo rack, supplied by Poly Performance, holds extra gear. Once all body modifications were completed, the exterior received a fresh coat of Red Eye No. 3 paint, a custom color developed by Mopar.

Custom touches throughout the interior include a color-matched center console and instrument panel. Seats are re-covered with Mopar's Katzkin leather package in a two-tone scheme. Replacing the carpet is a durable, spray-in truck-bed liner. Rugged Mopar floor mats complete the theme.

Mechanical upgrades came directly out of the Mopar catalog. The Jeep "Lower Forty" features an all-new 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 engine and a Getrag 238 six-speed manual transmission. Powertrain installations were handled by Burnsville Off-Road using an AEV 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 conversion kit.

The Mopar-supplied Dana 44 front axle and a Dana 60 rear axle, fitted with 5.38 gears and ARB air lockers, were assembled by Dynatrac and revalved Bilstein shocks maintain vehicle stability on rough terrain.

jeep-lower-forty-con_460x0w.jpg

jeep_wrangler_lower_forty_1_cd_gallery.jpg

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like it.

The best Jeep conversion, so to speak, I have seen is when they stuffed a Viper V-10 into the engine bay of a Wrangler.

The lower-forty is one awesome rig.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I really like it. I'd like to get a Jeep sometime for the rock crawling intensive trips I want to take. But I want a 4 door Jeep with all the stuff that the Lower Forty has. If they build it I will buy one. But I'm not holding my breath. :)