GEN 2 JDM Engineering NEW Tune on the market!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparty94

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My MPG is only 12.2 on my first tank because I am having so much fun driving the Beast! I have never experienced any improvement in fuel economy with 4 different tuner companies on 4 different vehicles! However, for me the experience is worth the price! I am still amazed at the change in performance on this truck. I haven’t even added the rest of the stage 1 kit. Still waiting on CAI and IC. The Raptor is still docile when the throttle is used sparingly. It’s a well rounded performance Tune.

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok- been running tune in multiple tanks. Overall it’s a good tune!

MPG gain, people smoking something. I got 14 MPG no tune, 14 MPG 5 star Tune and same with JDM

I’m sure everyone knows when you tune the computer MPg is wrong. You have to manually calculate it with miles/gallons.

No my computer says I am doing better, but reality. Nope

I didnt hand calculate, but thousands of miles later, I am still seeing a +2 mpg difference from 5 star to JDM. high 13s to high 15s

OP
OP
xrocket21

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you aren’t dividing miles by gallons fill up, your not getting that. Tunes mess up the computer calculations

I can buy that I may not actually be getting 15 mpg, because the trip computer isnt that accurate, but the delta of 2 mpg should be pretty accurate.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you aren’t dividing miles by gallons fill up, your not getting that. Tunes mess up the computer calculations

You could be seeing the same fuel mileage in your truck, however there are more variables that can affect the final MPG calculated by the vehicle than just the tune.

1. Driving style and route (hills or elevation change.)
2. Tire size (rolling resistance a function of the tire and the surface itself such as dirt, concrete, or pavement.)
3. Parasitic losses in drive train from overcoming inertia of parts, heat, and noise.
4. Combustion Efficiency (work done on the crankshaft.)
5. Chemical Energy stored in the fuel.
6. Wind resistance.

A few things that get figured into the calculation of MPG's for the tune that are often changed:

1. Injector Data.
2. Tire size as calibrated.
3. Gear ratio as calibrated.

There are many factors that lead into a proper gas mileage reading in modern vehicles, beyond the changes in tuning.
Fuel is a big variable with different blends per season and region, and also ethanol content swinging changes the fuel consumption. The gain in fuel economy in our tune comes from primarily taking advantage of the greater octane content and addressing timing accordingly. Also, some efficiency is gained from changing shift schedules to keep the engine in a more efficient area in the power band.

I am curious, as this is the first I have seen anything but a gain with our tune.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I know a motorcycle isn't a Raptor and with that being said I got about 10 more mpg after installing a new cam, exhausts, intake filter, and timing plate after being Dynoed.

I was under the impression that a good tune would always increase mpg since it's dialed in for a specific octane.

I would think that being a much larger vehicle such as the Raptor one would see maybe 1-3 mpg increase after a tune but maybe I'm wrong.

YodaMaster

Reaction score
You could be seeing the same fuel mileage in your truck, however there are more variables that can affect the final MPG calculated by the vehicle than just the tune.

1. Driving style and route (hills or elevation change.)
2. Tire size (rolling resistance a function of the tire and the surface itself such as dirt, concrete, or pavement.)
3. Parasitic losses in drive train from overcoming inertia of parts, heat, and noise.
4. Combustion Efficiency (work done on the crankshaft.)
5. Chemical Energy stored in the fuel.
6. Wind resistance.

A few things that get figured into the calculation of MPG's for the tune that are often changed:

1. Injector Data.
2. Tire size as calibrated.
3. Gear ratio as calibrated.

There are many factors that lead into a proper gas mileage reading in modern vehicles, beyond the changes in tuning.
Fuel is a big variable with different blends per season and region, and also ethanol content swinging changes the fuel consumption. The gain in fuel economy in our tune comes from primarily taking advantage of the greater octane content and addressing timing accordingly. Also, some efficiency is gained from changing shift schedules to keep the engine in a more efficient area in the power band.

I am curious, as this is the first I have seen anything but a gain with our tune.

Nick,

I buy gas from the same gas station and 90% of my driving is same route and everything. I agree with most you say, but if I get my gas at the same stations, my route stays similar and after 4 tanks its always the same mileage with a super small variance. Unfortunately it is what it is.

I am curious if the ones claiming better MPG are going by the computer. I have seen a delta in 2 - 4 miles in what the computer says. Yours is a smaller delta then what 5 star was.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just ordered my JDM 91 Peformace tune , I use
My truck as a daily driver, 600 miles per week, pedal to the metal every chance I get!! I’ve tried several other competitors tunes . Updates to follow

Which competitors have you tried and why did not not like them?

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C756470C-EB7A-4D98-A81E-5273D23E8CC7.jpeg D8067393-44D3-4017-8A11-B6F9DDCEA4CB.jpeg 8BBCF0C4-7348-4914-B73C-9B8730B763D0.jpeg 2018 802A Waiting for my 91 Peformace tune from JDM .
Updates to follow I’ll be comparing 5star and whipple tunes . I drive at least 600 miles a week pedal to the metal every chance I get!!

YodaMaster

Reaction score
Anyone else get wrench error and etc after moving to a JDM tune?

I would constantly get the wrench error on a weekly basis.

I have moved back to 5 star, having seen a few of my cel codes since as JDM works it out.

Wrench light hasn’t appeared in a week now on 5 star.

Just curious other experiences