GEN 2 JDM Engineering NEW Tune on the market!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have personally run the 5 star and the JDM. 5 star shifts hard and makes good power (93 race tune), but the JDM I feel pulls harder and the shifts are smoother as well as better gear choices.

You mention Cobb specifically, and while Cobb does produce a great product ( I was a subaru guy for a decade), their lack of a trans tune is a huge factor. With any transmission, especially the 10 speed, torque converter lockup, shift firmness, and gear selection are very important.

Example: stock trans puts you in 10th at like 50 mph. JDM is in 8th at 50 mph.

To magnetic-- I was in same position.. had my 18 for over year, and considered several options and felt the best and most applicable mod, would be programming. I've modified almost every vehicle I've ever owned, but never 'had' to think about if a 'chip' will make that much difference, it always does. But, with this kind of tech involved, there is tons of improvement to be had with just this alone now. While I never had another tune to compare to, I agree with rocket on just feedback alone with JDMs approach to everything and especially the trans. very very important with this many frckn gears to go thru. Its great for keeping in power band... if told to do so, and they pretty much nailed it.

2024RaptorR_NOVA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To magnetic-- I was in same position.. had my 18 for over year, and considered several options and felt the best and most applicable mod, would be programming. I've modified almost every vehicle I've ever owned, but never 'had' to think about if a 'chip' will make that much difference, it always does. But, with this kind of tech involved, there is tons of improvement to be had with just this alone now. While I never had another tune to compare to, I agree with rocket on just feedback alone with JDMs approach to everything and especially the trans. very very important with this many frckn gears to go thru. Its great for keeping in power band... if told to do so, and they pretty much nailed it.

Sounds like we were cut from the same cloth lol and I see you too are a bad influence.

My concern is that as soon as I decide on something right around the corner will be the next big thing but know I can’t wait forever.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Appreciate the info!

I was a GT-R guy for the last 6 years and had Cobb and Ecutek for it and loved both. I guess for that reason I feel comfortable with Cobb but knowing they don’t have the transmission software yet is causing other options to peak my interest as well.

Do you find the feeling of the truck being in the right gear now makes you think it’s making more power compared to other tunes or that it just compliments the additional power?

Decisions like these drive me nuts and is what after a year I still have not made a move.

I'm in the same boat as you, I want to tune but reliability is top priority so which tune.

So far after much research I've narrowed it down to JDM or the one from Gearhead which utilizes the transmission in their tune also but worked with the Cobb IC and CAI.

New Nick at JDM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Digging the chirp!

Reliability and safety is key in all our tuning, from focus ST's all the way to Cobra Jet's and anything in between.

Long before the raptor was even a dream at Ford, my boss was tuning baja trucks and an engineer at Ford and was the first to get the E40D (look at how far we've come lol) to function with torque converter lock up at well over 120 mph.
He is no stranger to making sure what ever he touches in calibration stays safe and reliable in any situation from grabbing a coffee in a drive thru to bombing down a desert road.

Some tunes are going out today for those with pending orders!

Mike cip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the JDM tune on my 2019 Raptor Scab today:

AWESOME !

Truck now drives and just “feels” right after the JDM tune

I was running a pedal commander on an otherwise stock truck. (green filter in the OEM air box)

Was happy with the pedal commander as it improved the throttle response and made the truck more fun to drive.

Went with JDM as was familiar with them from my GT mustang and SVT Cobra days and with SCT tuners.

Very important to me the trans tuning was addressed along with the engine tuning. I was use to tuned cars with manual transmissions until I got my automatic trans Trackhawk and learned how critical the trans tune is.

So with the raptor wanted the same tech and safety incorporated in its tune.

I made the right choice as the JDM tune has it nailed.

The truck is smooth around town and the shift logic is perfect driving around the paved back roads near me that have plenty of elevation changes. The power is always available and the trans in the proper gear for instant power response even in normal drive mode. The down shifts, especially, are perfect. The stock tune downshifts were sloppy on my truck and abrupt.

Merging on the highway is excellent. The trans shifts without any drama and is very smooth, almost as smooth as my Trackhawks eight speed. Much, much improved over stock. Truck pulls hard right to felonious speeds here in Mexico.

Was a very easy process.

As advised by Nick at JDM:

Changed the plugs for Sp-550 gapped to .028

Removed the pedal commander

Returned my forescan changes to the stock as built files.

After receiving the tune file email I installed it in the tuner then then truck. It first saves the stock tune file then programs the engine then then transmission.

I did hook up a 6amp battery charger when making the forscan changes and programming the JDM tune

This made for no issues

Truck started right up and after a 20 mile (fun) test ride reinstalled my forscan as built modified files with no hiccups

The removal of the pedal commander is not missed as the throttle tip in is much improved and no longer as touchy as it was.

Nick is crazy helpful on the phone and email and is obviously very responsive on this forum.

I recommend this tune to everyone (I paid full price for the SCT tuner and JDM tune) so this is my unbiased opinion

Mike

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Installed the JDM tune on my 2019 Raptor Scab today:

AWESOME !

Truck now drives and just “feels” right after the JDM tune

I was running a pedal commander on an otherwise stock truck. (green filter in the OEM air box)

Was happy with the pedal commander as it improved the throttle response and made the truck more fun to drive.

Went with JDM as was familiar with them from my GT mustang and SVT Cobra days and with SCT tuners.

Very important to me the trans tuning was addressed along with the engine tuning. I was use to tuned cars with manual transmissions until I got my automatic trans Trackhawk and learned how critical the trans tune is.

So with the raptor wanted the same tech and safety incorporated in its tune.

I made the right choice as the JDM tune has it nailed.

The truck is smooth around town and the shift logic is perfect driving around the paved back roads near me that have plenty of elevation changes. The power is always available and the trans in the proper gear for instant power response even in normal drive mode. The down shifts, especially, are perfect. The stock tune downshifts were sloppy on my truck and abrupt.

Merging on the highway is excellent. The trans shifts without any drama and is very smooth, almost as smooth as my Trackhawks eight speed. Much, much improved over stock. Truck pulls hard right to felonious speeds here in Mexico.

Was a very easy process.

As advised by Nick at JDM:

Changed the plugs for Sp-550 gapped to .028

Removed the pedal commander

Returned my forescan changes to the stock as built files.

After receiving the tune file email I installed it in the tuner then then truck. It first saves the stock tune file then programs the engine then then transmission.

I did hook up a 6amp battery charger when making the forscan changes and programming the JDM tune

This made for no issues

Truck started right up and after a 20 mile (fun) test ride reinstalled my forscan as built modified files with no hiccups

The removal of the pedal commander is not missed as the throttle tip in is much improved and no longer as touchy as it was.

Nick is crazy helpful on the phone and email and is obviously very responsive on this forum.

I recommend this tune to everyone (I paid full price for the SCT tuner and JDM tune) so this is my unbiased opinion

Mike

Great review, thanks.

Did you upgrade your CAI OR IC or are the plugs the only thing you've changed?

What do these plugs do for the tune / Raptor?

Mike cip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great review, thanks.

Did you upgrade your CAI OR IC or are the plugs the only thing you've changed?

What do these plugs do for the tune / Raptor?

The plugs are stock. You are replacing to be sure the gap is .028. My stock plugs were .028 but some trucks aren’t. Replaced to insure consistency. The new plugs were also factory gapped ay .028. YMMV

Stock air box with a green filter installed

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the purpose of putting the FORSCAN files back to stock, as I have never heard doing this before installing any tune?