Jacking up a Raptor dos/donts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm changing my oil this weekend it will be my first oil change on my raptor. I'm used to jacking up lowered sports cars so jacking up a semi lifted truck is a huge step up I would like to know some safety precautions that come with jacking up trucks and larger vehicle and specifically that have been encountered when jacking up the raptor. I have a kraftsman 3 ton jack that I bought from Sears and an AFF low profile jack I'm not sure if these jacks will work. I have used the kraftsman jack to lift my wife's grand Cherokee but I typically lift from the center of the vehicle so on the frame in the front behind the engine but so it lifts the whole front at once I just don't kno if that's such a good idea with a bigger vehicle. I also lift on the rear diff for the back of the vehicle again with a bigger vehicle like a truck I just don't know if it's safe. I have floor jacks I think they are your typical floor jack but I don't know what the expectation should be for the raptor. Also I'm thinking the oil change should be standard are there any unobvious workarounds or issues that people face in doing these oil changes?

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
I just drive on ramps I bought from Wal-Mart. They're about 10" of lift. Bonus points because they actually put the oil plug at a better angle to drain out more old oil.

+1 on the ramps as it will put the Raptor at a angle to better drain the oil.

I have not done this yet as a friend with shop has allowed me to use his rack to change my oil :)

alexyikes00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ramps sound like a good idea.. i would put jack stands just incase.. after seeing a car come down on someone Im paranoid of 1 lifting tool

OP
OP
BIZZnice

BIZZnice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ramps are a good idea but my question is how do I trust some plastic ramps to hold the weight of a what 5000 lbs truck. Do you guys know of a good place to buy good quality ramps no way am I getting something plastic from Walmart.

I could get underneath without jacking it up but I would like to drain as much bad oil as possible.

Is it a good rule of thumb to use a floor jack only on the wheel you are changing for instance if you were swapping wheels and tires

The Macf

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ramps are a good idea but my question is how do I trust some plastic ramps to hold the weight of a what 5000 lbs truck. Do you guys know of a good place to buy good quality ramps no way am I getting something plastic from Walmart.

I could get underneath without jacking it up but I would like to drain as much bad oil as possible.

Is it a good rule of thumb to use a floor jack only on the wheel you are changing for instance if you were swapping wheels and tires

You can get metal ramps from any brand name auto parts, home improvement (sometimes), harbor freight.

Do you have a full new set? Then yes

Rotating Tires? How are you going to support two wheels at a time? Spare?

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
You aren't supporting the entire weight of the truck on the ramps - just two wheels.

Cheap option - make your own. Go buy some 4x2's and make a stair step of sorts. 3-4 steps should be plenty to slide anybody underneath the truck for an oil change.